• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I'll listen if you say that, but while the attention may be embarrassing, consider the alternative. Some ungrateful *illegitimate children* did the alternative as good people came home from Viet Nam to empty airports or worse, to hurled insults. I wasn't old enough to be part of that, thank God, and I'm embarrassed that it was done at all, but I'll be da*ned if I'll let it happen again on my watch.

It wasn't just insults. A dear friend of mine from SW Indiana recalls coming home after his tour in Viet Nam. As he was coming off a bus, some idiot spit in the face and called him a baby killer. That event haunts him to this day.

I strongly agree with Bill...I will not let that happen on my watch, either.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I graduated boot camp in July of '77.
    Flew into Chicago O'Hare and got delayed by a thunderstorm. A group of us Marines, in uniform, found a bar called the 42nd parallel and went in for a beer.
    There had to be 10 of us if there was one. 4 rounds of beers later, we asked for the bill and was informed that it had been taken care of by "the man at the end of the bar who had just left" without saying a single word to any of us!
    I have NEVER forgotten this small act of kindness and I routinely "thank" service persons, in any way I feel I can get away with!:D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It wasn't just insults. A dear friend of mine from SW Indiana recalls coming home after his tour in Viet Nam. As he was coming off a bus, some idiot spit in the face and called him a baby killer. That event haunts him to this day.

10 or 15 minutes alone with that piece of trash would make my day.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis

I believe this is one big reason that so many ex-GIs will NOT let this happen again. You may disagree with the politics behind the war... but don't you dare take it out on our military personnel.:nono:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Coming back from Cleveland Clinic in Ohio after having a two days of medical tests run, we stopped by a Bob Evans Restaurant for dinner. In walks a clean cut, 60's-ish man and his wife and they get seated. I was wearing my Gulf War vet hat and he was wearing a bright red "RETIRED MARINE" hat. The sat nearby and we made eye contact, smiled and nodded at one another, then wifey and I finished our meal. I got caught paying for his meal because the waitress, against my instructions, went over to his table and told him before I had a chance to get out the door that I had paid for his meal. He quickly came over to me, tears in his eyes, and said that I would never know how much that meant to him and that I didn't have to do it. I smiled and told him, "From vet to vet? Yes, I did." He just kept saying, "But you don't know what it means. Really, you just don't know what it means to my wife and I," over and over. The wifey and I said our thanks again and bugged out pretty quick, facing a long drive home yet.

To this day I still wonder what it meant to him, whether he and his wife were poor, whether they were looking at a hard luck Christmas or what. It still tickles my heart to think of that chance encounter with that Marine, the tears in his eyes and the smile on his face. And my wife asks me every Christmas if I remember "That Marine and his wife over in Ohio."

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    As a former construction worker that used to put in 14 hour days out in the sun, I'll second this statement. You and other men and women in uniform willingly and deliberately put yourselves directly in harms way, so that I can live free. A half a days pay or so to buy you a meal is a small price to pay for the opportunity to say thank you personally.:patriot:

Yes. I Am a construction worker. I feel the same way.
    Rep has been delivered.

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    I have done this a few times in the drive through at a Mcdonalds in Fort Wayne. Not just service members but anyone who looks like they could use some help (not that service people look like they need help). One week here there was a radio station was saying the week should be "random acts of kindness week" and suggested a similar thing.
    Anyway, each time the car behind had a bill of less than 2 dollars! and one was a 89 cent coffee. Need to think about it at a resturant sometime. Guess it is the thought that counts.

Last edited:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Dryden said:
    You may disagree with the politics behind the war... but don't you dare take it out on our military personnel.:nono:

Fair enough. This might be the reason behind the post after yours why the retired Marine was so thankful. Some of the damn wackos wearing tinfoil tend to takeout their frustrations on anyone, instead of where it belongs.

I don't know how many times I have heard stories or seen it in action where the military was treated VERY poorly during the Viet Nam period. Although this did and has happened, it should never occur again. Unfortunately, the First Amendment allows free speech, but at the same time any asshat is free to do/say anything on his/her mind and say it's a protected right. Common courtesy, respect, and self-control are the tenants of free speech also.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I am humbled and awed by this thread. What a great community to be involved in.

You guys rock.

Semper Fi

We exist as we are today because we stand on the shoulders of giants who defended us. Whatever I can do to help is simply a token gesture compared to what you guys have done and are still doing. This ones for you.:40oz:Cheers!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom