• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Fire them? How? The manager was short staffed as it is. If he fires them, then hamburgers don't get made.

Then compromise I guess huh? If you have a backbone as a leader and prove you won't stand for subordinates not following instruction then it's surprising how quickly they fall into line.
    No one dragged them in there to get a job so they must be there because they want money. Threaten to take it away an usually they respond well. I'd rather do any job by myself than to have worthless workers earning money they aren't REALY deserving.
    The customers will wait or they won't. The problem will correct itself fast.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Threaten them until you are blue in the face... people aren't stupid. They know you are short staffed as it is... you can't fire them unless you want to close the doors. Who else am I going to get that will flip burgers for 7.50 an hour?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Threaten them until you are blue in the face... people aren't stupid. They know you are short staffed as it is... you can't fire them unless you want to close the doors.

I really would fire them. I don't care if there was a line out the damn door. Get afew pissed customers to set a precident that I won't take **** as a manager , worth it everytime!

I don't manage a McDonald's but I know how to manage worthless ****s. they would never manage me! Lots of people will flip burgers for that or do any job. The whole who's gonna do the job thing is bull crap. Plenty of people need and will take a job.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    There's another option: they just don't want the job because of the opportunity costs. Take the small job with the small profit margin or the large job with the larger profit margin.

You're absolutely correct on that , I forgot to bring that into the discussion .

The cost of doing work legally is much higher than getting work done by some street guy , UNTIL it comes time to fix what was screwed up .

And just because you don't immediately see what's wrong doesn't mean the work was done according to American industry acceptable standards .

Time Will tell the truuf ' bout his ruuf . :D

Doesn't make you right either. ;)

Maybe not but I'd bet my 16 + years of construction experience against his one job that I am .

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The only claim I was making (and I stand by it) is that being alive and poor is better than being dead and making guys like you happy.

Them being alive and poor in their own country would make guys like me , real happy .

Until then , I'm still advocating heads on pikes , electrified fences , land mines and snipers .

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Wish I could find some Mexicans, (or Nicaraguan's or Ecuadorians) to do a couple of jobs for me. Can't seem to find any concentrations of them in my area. I'd hire them in a minute.

Washington St/State St, just north of the intersection. They wait there in groups for work. Lots of people swing by and hire from there.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I don't want closed borders, I want tight borders. Closed borders are a double-edged sword and prevent the ability to flee political persecution should it arise.

Who was it, Kipling, who said: He who would lie would steal; would steal, would murder.

Starting out in a new nation by violating its laws seems to be getting off on the wrong foot and is a sharp indicator of the respect one has for its law. He who would commit one crime has no moral qualm with committing another, else the first would not have been committed.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Just had my roof done two weeks ago. A white contractor with 6 Mexicans showed up and tore off the old roof on the house and workshop. House was finished the first day and the second day just one showed up to do the shop. It was 37 squares in all, 26 for the house and 11 for the shop. They were nice and spoke English when they had to. I treated them just like I would have anyone else making sure they had enough water and supplying Cokes. They did an excellent job and worked extremely hard in the GA heat and humidity.

Treating Mexicans just like regular people - how gentlemanly! :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Is it me or did I read, "I broke the law and I'm proud of it!"

There are plenty of former Mexicans who have immigrated here legally and are now Americans who do good work and are a welcome addition to America. There is no need to hire illegals.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Kind of trying to get the thread back on track, I do have to agree that it's like pulling teeth trying to get contractors that aren't absolute flakes. We're converting a garage into a bedroom and I need some drywall hung and mudded. I've called three different guys so far based on recommendations from friends and family and can't get one to even come out and give me a bid on the job. I can hang the drywall myself if need be but I draw the line at mudding because I'm lousy at it. Just frustrating. It's like, hello, I have money, would you like some?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My uncle was a drywall finisher for 30 years and for the last 15-20 has had a hell of a time finding good workers. Most would not show up at all and he was paying top dollar. Finally he started using Hispanics and never had a complaint. He was building his own house years ago and it was so bad finding workers that he ended up having to hang all the drywall by himself then finish it. Finding manual laborers is not what it used to be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A few years back 2 houses across the street were getting new roofs. North house was 1 roof and not drastic pitch. A crew started on it mid-week. They were still working on it and not far enough along to lay the tar paper yet. All white crew.
    South house was the same size with detached garage. Hispanic crew shows at 7:00 AM and started tearing off both roofs. The "H" crew was 4 men and a ground guy. The "W" crew was 6 and a ground guy. At days end the "H" crew was done, cleaned up and rolling out about 6:30 PM.
    "W" crew was done tearing off and paper down with maybe 2 rows of shingle nailed down.

Pathetic.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had my old house roofed several years ago. It was 30 squares, 12/12 pitch and roughly half of it had 3 layers including the original shakes and had to be redecked. I didn't know it was going to be a Hispanic crew until they showed up. There was about 20 of them and none of them appeared to be working full tilt all the time. They each had their duty and when it was their turn, they got after it. It was in the middle of summer and it was 90+ degrees that day. They were about 95-98% done in 12 hours. A few guys came by the next day to finish up the last bit of clean up and trimming.

The bids were anywhere from $7-10,000. This crew was the $7000 bid.

ETA: The white guy in charge said this crew would do 100 square a day on apartment buildings in Indy.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I charge less than that

I had a guy come knock on my door yesterday and ask if I wanted my yard mowed for $5. I don't have acres upon acres but I would think it would cost more than $5 :dunno:

And how does anyone know for a fact that the Mexicans who did this work were illegal anyway? We're all just assuming this is a fact. Maybe they are here illegally. Maybe they aren't. I have an aunt who's from Mexico. She's been here for decades and is, in fact, a citizen of this country. Would you all assume she's here illegally because she still prefers to speak Spanish? I have some neighbors from Mexico. Super nice people. He is now a citizen and his wife is working on it. Should people that come visit me assume my neighbors are illegal because they often play crazy music that sounds like a carnival mixed with polka and they have a rooster in their backyard (which I do hate, by the way)?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I had a guy come knock on my door yesterday and ask if I wanted my yard mowed for $5. I don't have acres upon acres but I would think it would cost more than $5 :dunno:

And how does anyone know for a fact that the Mexicans who did this work were illegal anyway? We're all just assuming this is a fact. Maybe they are here illegally. Maybe they aren't. I have an aunt who's from Mexico. She's been here for decades and is, in fact, a citizen of this country. Would you all assume she's here illegally because she still prefers to speak Spanish? I have some neighbors from Mexico. Super nice people. He is now a citizen and his wife is working on it. Should people that come visit me assume my neighbors are illegal because they often play crazy music that sounds like a carnival mixed with polka and they have a rooster in their backyard (which I do hate, by the way)?

$5 ??? That seems a little crazy. Cost me that much just to drive about 20 miles. I could see offering to do someones lawn for $15 the first time just to show my work if I was hurting for money bad enough.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    And how does anyone know for a fact that the Mexicans who did this work were illegal anyway? We're all just assuming this is a fact.

They're called clues

.Clue # 1- I'll have to say it was intimidating to have the car mobbed with everyone hungry for work

Clue # 2- I was hoping they had transportation but they didn't. So I told them to get in (to my Impala SS), which they did.

Clue # 3 - I noticed they had no water and no food but were content with going with anyone to earn some money.

Clue # 4 - I drove them to my house over 30 minutes away. .

Top Bottom