• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    New Year's Day, my wife was starting to be induced. My daughter was born on 1/2 37 weeks pregnant. She gets tired easily being so small nursing, which lead to weight loss and body temperature issues. She also high bilirubin levels. I was nervous and scared the weekend she was born, but this weekend was a whole new level of nervous and scared. I actually lost it in my car last night going to the drug store to get something. It wasn't until my daughter downed a whole bottle of formula after nursing (and eventually spitting part of it back up) that I knew that the eating issues (she tired out easily trying to nurse) was on the mend. She is still in the incubator to keep her body temperature up. Bililights and an iv fixed bilirubin levels to a safe zone and she is dirtying her diaper again.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Take care and trust in God. Keep doing everything you can and putting one foot in front of the other, things sound like they are improving. When you take that little girl home, you will not want to put her down too. I know, my daughter changed me in so many ways 19 years ago. I was never a big believer in prayer, but have found that if anything, it helps just as much to trust in someone else and to get it off your chest at times.

Good luck and I hope to see a picture posted of you napping at home in a recliner with a baby asleep on your shoulder soon.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm betting she'll do just fine. Those issues are fairly common and she seems to be turning the corner. Breaking down like that shows you're going to be a great dad to her. You understand how incredible and powerful it is to be given someone so delicate and fragile. Love her well.

i still break down at times when thinking about my kids. We have so much emotion invested in them sometimes you just can't hold it in, and that's great.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Hang in there. I am sure she will be just fine. Great medical care out there now days and her strength will continue to improve. Not wanting to scare you, but you are headed for many, many more challenges over the next 20 years.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    It will all be worth it she will be fine, I have a new one that is 3 months old yesterday. Nothing like it, kids are tough she will be eating and running around your house before you know it!

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Prayers for you and your family. I believe you are headed in the right direction. My girlfriend is a NICU nurse and those problems sound fairly common. I never realized before but most babies in the NICU just need to gain weight and get stronger as opposed to having very serious medical issues, of course there are exceptions.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    I can't imagine having a baby in the nicu, I guess we were pretty much when she was in the incubator (which was borrowed from the nicu) and IV in her hand. I wanted to hold her but yet was scared to. It wasn't until the IV came out I felt comfortable holding her. Elizabeth took an ounce of milk and an ounce of formula earlier. An ounce to live and an ounce to grow basically. Eventually we will go back to breast feeding when Elizabeth has grown a little and a few other things happen. After feeding her, we both took a nap. Memory foam never felt so good, the hospital bed was okay to sleep on though.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    She looks like she will sleep perfectly on a shoulder or chest in a recliner. I never liked kids until I had one (19 long years ago), now I love babies, they make this 6 foot, 220 lb guy all mushy. When we are up at relatives houses during holidays and someone has a baby, my wife always gets me to a recliner and puts the baby in my arms. Those were some of the best times when mine were little... I love rocking one to sleep. You will too.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The son had jaundice at birth... 24 hours under uv lamps does wonders for their coloring. His liver turned out fine. But he's totally alien. Carrying a 3.86 gp in 8th grade with 3 advanced hs credit classes. I say 'The son' because he can't be mine. I think I might have been probed. he can't be my kid.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    My daughter spent about 36 under both and 48 with the blanket. She is a brand new baby, sucking down milk from the body and formula if it is needed. Stays up for a bit after eating. At first, she would nurse and wear herself out trying to nurse and not get enough.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    It happens. My oldest got to spend a little time under the bili-lights. Take your time with them and enjoy them. He's now 23 and on his own. What hoosierdoc said above is spot on.

Top Bottom