• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Ok I have my LTCH, a nice galco holster and an awesome sig p226 40. I carry this whenever I'm not going to work(work in IL). Now my confession is, (this is going to sound strange) I've never shot this gun, nor have I ever shot a pistol before:dunno:. I have only shot and carried revolvers up until now. My problem was I had to sell my revolvers and other things a while back when times were tuff and I had to pay the electric or put gas in my car.

I am all caught up and when I bought the new gun and holster I had every intention of going to a range and firing off a few rounds, never made it to a range. As a matter of fact I never even been to a range, except a few years back and that was just to go skeet shooting. Most of my handgun experience has been growing up on realatives land, and a buddies got 15 acres up in michigan, but with my work schedule its impossible to get to my buddies cause we both have different schedules.

So my dilema is I need to get to a decent range, and get some practice handling and firing this sig. I do not like the idea of carrying a weapon for protection that I'm just not sure how it works. Not that I dont know how a pistol works, I do know how they work, just that I don't know the (insert right word here) of it. Like for instance I know my old revolver always shot high and to the left. With my old revolver I used to keep the chamber under the hammer empty (no need to I know), just because. So I also have the bad habit of not keeping one in the pipe when I carry, which to me is stupid, but it makes me feel a little better mainly becasue I haven't experienced this firearm yet.

So I need to find a nice range thats close to the house so I can get to it a couple times a week and start practicing. I figured since I jsut usually sit in the corner and read everything and seldom ever write anything, now would be a good time to start. I have plenty of time right now, recovering from pneumonia so off wrok till next thurs it looks like.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Wow, I don't know what to say to this confession other then get some trigger time. I don't make a gun a carry gun until i have at least 300 rounds thought it. 200 FMJ and 100 of the carry ammo that you are going to use for defense. Then i only carry it if it preformed nearly flawless.

Practice having the gun cocked...... Can you cock a sig? I dont know sigs tbh. Anyways, practice it cocked but with no round in the chamber. I practiced like this untill i felt safe with one in the pipe. It took me 2 weeks of carry in the cocked posissionts with no accidental firings to feel safe carrying with one in the pipe.

Dry fire drills are considered gun play but ive found them to help my trigger work when unable to do life fire at the range. Snap caps are great.

Make sure to practice low light and night shooting! Whats you carry ammo going to be just wondering out of courosity.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    You need to get to the range immediately... If you were not so far from me I would volunteer to take you and will if you are willing to come down Indy way. Melensdad is a member here that lives up your way, you might try asking him for help. Carrying a weapon you have never fired and are unfamiliar with is more liable to get you killed than not. Melensdad is a good guy I am betting he will steer you in the right direction...

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    who knows, maybe the gun will fire when you pull the trigger maybe, it will blow up, maybe it will do nothing, maybe it's wildly inaccurate. That's just a lot of maybes to be your life on. I google searched your area and found the closet range to you that's not a club.
    Deb's Gun Range
    transparent.png
    - more info »
    6819 Kennedy Ave, Hammond, IN‎ - (219) 845-8880‎ Don't know anything about the place. Give em a call and see what you what you think. but get some where and shoot that gun!
    By the way for what it's worth some guy named Jon reviewed the range and said it was fair priced and friendly.
    Good luck to you and be safe.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Closest thing to Cedartucky is going to be Willow Slough.

I have time but until I get called back to work finances are tight so the extra gas would kill me right now, if you want to drive my way I would be more then happy to help out at either Jasper Pulaski or Winamac.

I would suggest at least 100 FMJ and 100 or you defensive carry rounds.

I myself never consider a handgun a carry weapon until I have at least 250+ down range.

Run some failure drills, have a buddy load your mags and put in just a empty brass somewhere.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Not wise to carry a gun that you have never shot before, not wise. Get to the range ASAP. Dry fire practice is your best bet in the mean time.

agreed.

but is it better to carry a gun thats never been fired than to not carry anything at all? maybe?

time to stir the pot: i would carry a glock thats never been fired. Glock=Perfection :laugh:

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Closest thing to Cedartucky is going to be Willow Slough.

I went there once this last summer, was a pretty clean range. Like everyone else has said, get out there and fire it! You and that gun need to become the best of friends if its your carry weapon, and that is the only way to build a relationship!

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I would at least put a box through it before you carried it if absolutely nothing else. But i'm more of 200 FMJ + 50 JHP that I plan to carry before I will carry type of person.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I agree with everyone here, thats why I made teh confession haha. It did take over a month of not carrying before I started, because like you I feel you need to know your gun. But then I came to a mind-set that carrying somthing is better then carrying nothing, But I still am going to the range and want to fire a couple hundered rounds through at least.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think there are a lot of people in this situation - or very close to it. I would suggest some training with a certified instructor - and the NRA Basic Pistol class would be perfect.

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I also like to go shooting but don't get to go enough because I don't drive anymore when I do go I shoot at Debs it's $10 and $2 a target they provide you with your first target. they also provide the ear muffs. It' an indoor range handguns and.22 rifle only. I'd be happy to go shooting with you just pick me up on the way I'm in Highland and would even pitch in for gas

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i've been to Deb's 7 or 8 years ago i think. kinda a dumpy place with some strange looking guys on kennedy? i remember it being cheap but kinda dirty if i'm thinking of the same one. i like the slough. its clean, there is always a CO around and they are all really cool down there and love to talk guns. also free which is good, just remember to clean up. maybe we could assemble a NWI shoot sometime before the weather breaks bad. good luck and enjoy your sig! BTW, i live in griffith and have a few friends in the local police. i can go to the town range most of the time so maybe you could ask the police down there if there is somewhere close you could use. hell, in cedartucky i'm suprised you can't shoot in your front yard! haha

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Just let me know when and we can go shooting! I'm a Sig guy as well and I'm in your area.

That sounds good to me, thinking of taking a ride to willow slough to see how that place is. Until I get used to my Sig, I think I'm gonna run out and buy a 357 to carry with me until then. Thinking of running out that way Sunday to give it a look if anyone is interested. I would do it tomorrow, but I have a few things to do, pick up the boat form the marina, stop at the store and buy some ammo and a 357; but Sunday looks like a freeday for me.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Go take the RNA's Basic Pistol Course. You wil be glad you did. There are a few of us here in Indy, and other instructors throughout the state. Check the NRA's web site. Good luck!

Top Bottom