• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've been meaning to get a simple set up going lately and my buddy just called and asked if I wanted his 20 gal tank tonight. I've got it set up in the spot I want and it's able half full right now with one fish.

What is the best water to use to fill the tank without killing it?

After filling it, how long should I let the water filter before buying any fish?

Crap, I've gotta run, but I'll have more questions in about 20 minutes.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    If your on city water you will need to add some dechlorinator to get rid of the chlorine that's add to the water in the treatment plants. As for cycling the filter you will need to do that with the fish in it which you said you had one so that's good. As for how long it just depends what kind of fish is it and how big is it. A couple of weeks should be safe either way. Temp of the water is pretty important for some fish. I would do a lot of research before you buy any.

Here is a great forum to check out...

Fish and Aquarium - all types - Discussion & Articles. Auspet.com

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Every tank I've ever started, I've thrown a couple of 10-cent goldfish in for two weeks to start the bio cycle in the water. :+1: on dechlorinator. You can buy 4 oz bottles at the pet store. You only need a couple of drops per gallon.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    You can use tap water, just make sure you add a good conditioner/dechlorinator such as Stress Coat. Make sure you add the water gradually as to not change the temp of the tank water. If it changes too quick, you will throw your fish into shock.

You will have to go through a break-in period where bacteria and enzymes form in your tank to help eliminate wastes. Specifically ammonia. Normally takes a couple of weeks to cycle although you can buy biological chemicals to add to the water to speed the process up (Stress Zyme for example). Most people can't wait to start adding fish. They then run into major kill-offs due to the lack of bacteria to break down the fish's waste. Try to go slow. If you can't, then plan on doing several partial water changes as often as daily.

What kind of fish is currently in the tank?

Once your tank is established the general rule I believe is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. This is just a guide to help overcrowding.

Hope this helps.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well, I can do pretty much whatever I want to the water, because there is NO fish to be found. That's weird considering my buddy said he fed it yesterday.:dunno:

I guess I'll just go with tap water and dechlorinator.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Any cats in the house? :D

Nah, my dog ate all of them.:):

Yeah, that's really weird, because that fish is no where to be found.

The tank is full and the dechlinator has been added.

He really hooked me up...Food, random chemical neutralizers, test strips, everything. All I need is fish now.

The filter is running...After adding close to 10g(50%) of water, how long should I wait to add fish?

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    You can add a couple of fish anytime now that the water is treated. This is providing the water temperature is sufficient for the type of fish you want to put in it.

Don't forget to acclimate your new fish when you bring them home. Float the bag in your tank to get the water inside close to the temp of your aqarium. One tip you may already know, try not to pour the water from the store into your tank. It might release unwanted diseases into your tank.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Nah, my dog ate all of them.:):

Yeah, that's really weird, because that fish is no where to be found.

The tank is full and the dechlinator has been added.

He really hooked me up...Food, random chemical neutralizers, test strips, everything. All I need is fish now.

The filter is running...After adding close to 10g(50%) of water, how long should I wait to add fish?
    Is the back of the lid an open lid design? It is not uncommon for some fish to jump out the back.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You can add a couple of fish anytime now that the water is treated. This is providing the water temperature is sufficient for the type of fish you want to put in it.

Don't forget to acclimate your new fish when you bring them home. Float the bag in your tank to get the water inside close to the temp of your aqarium. One tip you may already know, try not to pour the water from the store into your tank. It might release unwanted diseases into your tank.

I can add them already? Sweet, I'll get some test dummies tomorrow.:D

Yeah, I remember needing to float the bags, but thanks for the advice.

Is the back of the lid an open lid design? It is not uncommon for some fish to jump out the back.

The water was already at 75%, so I doubt it jumped that high.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Buy some stuff called start right. You can get in in pill or liquid form. Fill your tank, and start your filter pump. Then add the start right. It will bubble, when it stops wait about 5-10 minutes. Make sure the water temp is at least 60 degrees, then add your fish. When you buy new fish. Keep them in the bag, and place the bag in the tank for 10-15 minutes. It helps them adjust to the temp before putting them in the tank. You should be good to go. Just make sure what kinds of fish you put together. Some need to be with their own kind, or some are to aggressive for others, etc. Also depending on the size of the fish, usually the rule of thumb is 1 fish per gallon of water. Hope that helps!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Buy some stuff called start right. You can get in in pill or liquid form. Fill your tank, and start your filter pump. Then add the start right. It will bubble, when it stops wait about 5-10 minutes. Make sure the water temp is at least 60 degrees, then add your fish. When you buy new fish. Keep them in the bag, and place the bag in the tank for 10-15 minutes. It helps them adjust to the temp before putting them in the tank. You should be good to go. Just make sure what kinds of fish you put together. Some need to be with their own kind, or some are to aggressive for others, etc. Also depending on the size of the fish, usually the rule of thumb is 1 fish per gallon of water. Hope that helps!

I have some Aquasafe, that the tap water safe for the fish...I already had half of the needed water that was already safe for fish, so I have a head start.

I remember the ratios of fish to tank size and what fish work with others, but I just couldn't remember the chemistry. Thanks for the advice.

The tank is full, the filter is running, the decor is set and I think by tomorrow, the water will be ready...I can't wait to get some test dummies in there!:D

I'm pretty excited. I've always loved fish and have been meaning to get another starter tank so I can get used to maintaining(keeping alive) fish before I get a nice one...I just so happened to luck into about a $300 set up for free! I offered to give him some cash, but he wasn't having any of that...I guess the ribs and drinks we'll be having this Saturday will be on me.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    For $0.00 I think I got a pretty decent deal...I also think it'll look a bit better with some swimmers in it.

IMG00030-20100701-2355.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I like adding rainwater.Low PH about6.5 to 6.8 for tropical fish.

After a week or so trial period with my test dummies, I was thinking about some African Chiliads, so that's good to know.

I know they are aggressive, but can I have a pleco(suckerfish) or two with them? What about those tiger-striped bottom feeders?

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I know they are aggressive, but can I have a pleco(suckerfish) or two with them? What about those tiger-striped bottom feeders?

Don't add plecostomus to soon they are algae eaters. If you add them before algae has started to grow they will starve unless you get algae chips for them. I would also wait a little while to add bottom feeders like cory catfish. Like most bottom feeders they are a cleaner fish. A new aquarium will not have much for them to clean unless you over feed. I would wait a few weeks to add these types of fish. :twocents: I am no expert.

edit: to add they will both do fine with African Chiliads. They do well with almost any other fish.

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    If you want African chiliads..the best thing to do is only add those fish. they are aggressive and dont get along well with other fish...though there are some fish they get along fine with but usually fish that are more aggressive then they are. when I had chiliads I had them in with a couple knife fish and a dragon fish and rarely had problems. chiliads will beat the crap outta most fish.
    also dont add a pleco until you get some visible aglea started.

Top Bottom