• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Both of the Arisaka's (type 99 from appearence) have collector value. They both appear to be in pretty nice shape. The first is as Uncle Mike stated above. It is collectable but not nearly as the second with a complete Chrysanthemum and the dust cover. It's a rare Arisaka that has an intact Chrysanthemum, dust cover, and the anti-aircraft sight. If they both fire (and from the looks of them they should) There's a nice bit of value there, especially to the right collector.

Check out Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II It's a pretty good source for decoding the stampings found on your Arisaka's.

Did your dad capture any of the bayonets or Samurai swords?
    Mine did.
    He brought back the bayonet for the rifle and two "military" swords.
    One Non Com and one Ranking Officer sword.
    My Type 99 doesn't have the dust cover or the cleaning rod.
    Dad said that the Japanese troops would remove the dust covers because they made too much racket when walking through the jungle, and most of them got rid of their cleaning rods because they were constantly getting snagged on the dense underbrush. The Japanese Soldier favored stealth whenever it was practical and anything that interfered with that was eliminated.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Both Japanese rifles appear to be Type 38s. Go to Surplus Rifle website. The stuck one probably has the safety on. The back of the bolt pushes in and turns. This locks the bolt. These have really gone up in price lately. Good luck with them.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Both of the Arisaka's (type 99 from appearence) have collector value. They both appear to be in pretty nice shape. The first is as Uncle Mike stated above. It is collectable but not nearly as the second with a complete Chrysanthemum and the dust cover. It's a rare Arisaka that has an intact Chrysanthemum, dust cover, and the anti-aircraft sight. If they both fire (and from the looks of them they should) There's a nice bit of value there, especially to the right collector.

Check out Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II It's a pretty good source for decoding the stampings found on your Arisaka's.

Did your dad capture any of the bayonets or Samurai swords?
    My dad was born in '49, so there is no possibility of that. Grandad did go overseas, but I have never heard of him bringing back anything. Dad was a bit of a history buff, he had a lot of war items, some Nazi stuff, and a small wooden crate that was mailed back home. Who knows what was originally in it, but now has a bunch of old knives in it. The Arisakas have the bayonets still. Does that make them an assault weapon? :D

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    A few for today... I'm sorry the top picture is upside down, it shows right side up in photobucket but upside down here. The lettering is hard to read even without the camera.

20130220_173005_zps6b6ebdda.jpg

20130220_172958_zps7a42d750.jpg

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    The pictures in my photobucket are getting mixed up and are hard to tell which ones I've posted and which I haven't, so I hope I don't skip any. Here's a link to the album, use password ingo1234

5974ebae-a4b0-438f-b6a8-afb201663a72_zps425e9427.jpg

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I'll have to get better pics with a real camera. I'm pretty sure these were all the same rifle.

20130220_172307_zpsb1727c3b.jpg

20130220_172314_zps152b4754.jpg

20130220_172318_zps7d2991e6.jpg

20130220_172420_zps515f99e1.jpg

When I look at these war rifles I have to wonder how many GIs were shot by them. :(

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    The pictures in my photobucket are getting mixed up and are hard to tell which ones I've posted and which I haven't, so I hope I don't skip any. Here's a link to the album, use password ingo1234

5974ebae-a4b0-438f-b6a8-afb201663a72_zps425e9427.jpg

This one is a German G43 with a handguard missing. Big big dollars for these, especially if they're all matching and haven't blown themselves apart (seen them go from $1800 to $3800 depending on condition and numbers)

The one following (German K98k) could be also be worth over $1k if it's all matching numbers. If it's all matching except the bolt, but the bolt matches, they tend around the $800 range. Mix masters and Russian Captures tend around the $400 range these days, but yours has too nice of a finish and no telltale marks that would tell me it's an RC.

Hope that helps...

steamy1861

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Brownsburg
    It was not a case of de-milling, the weapon will still operate just fine, the removal of the chrysanthemum was the same as pinging out the nazi markings on the WWII Mausers, to remove the markings of a defeated axis power.
    Weapons that were ont ground or pinged are worth a lot more.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Originally Posted by possum_128
    " I'm fairly sure some of these will be for sale in time,"

This statement really bothers me. Why anyone would want to sell items that were passed down to them from their Father, Grandfather or other family members is beyond me.

The fact that you are a gun owner and these were your Father's guns really bothers me the most so I ask, why??

I sure wish my Father left me anything to remember him by. I wish I had more than just pictures.
    That's a personal judgement and I think a bit out of line to criticize someone else's mindset. I doubt his dad carried either one in the BIG WAR.

I'm over 60 and my boys are going to get a bunch of used gear if they want to keep it. If they don't, fine...why would I care? If the old lady wants to sell it and move in with a Bolivian tennis pro, that's kinda up to her.

Not out of line at all in my thinking. My Father left me nothing, yours may have left you something or you could care less, either way who are you to criticize me?:dunno:

I would hope than anything that was important to me would be important to my childern and grandchildern and in fact I know they are because I raised my kids that way.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. You feel your way and I will feel my way, have a good life my friend.

Quit thread jacking. The man has legit questions. Who gives a damn what he does with them after they are identified?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    " I'm fairly sure some of these will be for sale in time,"

This statement really bothers me. Why anyone would want to sell items that were passed down to them from their Father, Grandfather or other family members is beyond me.:dunno:

The fact that you are a gun owner and these were your Father's guns really bothers me the most so I ask, why??

I sure wish my Father left me anything to remember him by. I wish I had more than just pictures.

Then go some place else if your gonna have a stroke over something that's none of your business. I can't believe you would make such a rude comment to someone who lost their dad and maybe has to sell things he doesn't want to just to pay bills his father left behind maybe or his own. We don't know HIS business.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    How about another round?

Dad sure loved his .22s.

I'll have to look through the military stuff again to see what hasn't been posted, but for now here are a couple.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The chipmunk .22 might be worth up to $150 again depends on function and condition. I don't believe they are made under that name anymore. So someone might pay alittle more for an older one.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    The BCD 41 can be something very special if the numbers are all matching. Arisaka's usually don't get me get excited but the one you have with a dust cover looks very interesting. We need to see a full picture of that. Plus Hitler's garands are always nice. Your pops had some very nice taste in his collection.

Top Bottom