• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    ad died he left behind several rifles and such that I know nothing about. Some foreign made, some domestic. I'm fairly sure some of these will be for sale in time, but for now I just want to ID them and get a rough estimate of value.

I'll post a couple today, a few more tomorrow, etc.

20130220_173108_zps6c3b55d7.jpg

20130220_173101_zpsb00eda04.jpg

20130220_173047_zpsaeeba503.jpg

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    What you have is an M48 Mauser. Very similar to the Model 98 with exception of the receiver being an intermediate size. 8x57mm. It has a very good Wikipedia page.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I believe this to be Japanese. I have a second rifle that seems to be just like this, minus the grind mark, but has a shroud over the bolt.

20130220_174102_zps9215032a.jpg

20130220_174057_zpsc6ef63be.jpg

20130220_174049_zpsa9939cd5.jpg

Another with the bolt shroud

20130220_174708_zps70ca6498.jpg

20130220_174713_zps553e5a37.jpg

20130220_174708_zps70ca6498.jpg

The bolt on the shrouded one is "stuck". it moves a little bit, but I don't know how to open it or close it fully.

Last edited:

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I think that's a Japanese Arisaka Type 99 with the chrysanthemum crest ground off the front receiver ring. I think this grinding was standard on most post-war demilled rifles.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    " I'm fairly sure some of these will be for sale in time,"

This statement really bothers me. Why anyone would want to sell items that were passed down to them from their Father, Grandfather or other family members is beyond me.:dunno:

The fact that you are a gun owner and these were your Father's guns really bothers me the most so I ask, why??

I sure wish my Father left me anything to remember him by. I wish I had more than just pictures.

AK471025

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 23, 2013

This statement really bothers me. Why anyone would want to sell items that were passed down to them from their Father, Grandfather or other family members is beyond me.:dunno:

The fact that you are a gun owner and these were your Father's guns really bothers me the most so I ask, why??

I sure wish my Father left me anything to remember him by. I wish I had more than just pictures.
    I strongly agree here. The only thing i was left with is a ww2 knife and i charish it.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana

Yup. If you sell em now you'll wish in a few years you hadn't.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana

That's a personal judgement and I think a bit out of line to criticize someone else's mindset. I doubt his dad carried either one in the BIG WAR.

I'm over 60 and my boys are going to get a bunch of used gear if they want to keep it. If they don't, fine...why would I care? If the old lady wants to sell it and move in with a Bolivian tennis pro, that's kinda up to her.

UNLOCKEM

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Well if you did decide to sell them, there wouldn't be a better group of people who would appreciate them and take care of them than INGO members!

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    That's a personal judgement and I think a bit out of line to criticize someone else's mindset. I doubt his dad carried either one in the BIG WAR.

I'm over 60 and my boys are going to get a bunch of used gear if they want to keep it. If they don't, fine...why would I care? If the old lady wants to sell it and move in with a Bolivian tennis pro, that's kinda up to her.

Not out of line at all in my thinking. My Father left me nothing, yours may have left you something or you could care less, either way who are you to criticize me?:dunno:

I would hope than anything that was important to me would be important to my childern and grandchildern and in fact I know they are because I raised my kids that way.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. You feel your way and I will feel my way, have a good life my friend.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Maybe he was left a large collection, and the Milsurps just aren't his thing.

He could have other guns or other items to remember his Dad by.
    They are his after all, so if he puts them up for sale, that is his business.:twocents:

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne

None of us (my two brothers and I) are as much into guns as my dad was, and I certainly don't have the space to store approximately 100 rifles/shotguns, and a dozen or so handguns. (If I stored them all at my house) Plus the gun vault is the size of a refrigerator. While I would like to shoot each one of these, they would end up being safe queens if I keep them all, and I'd really need an entire room to hold it all. That's not to say they will definitely be sold, but at the moment it is being considered.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Well if you did decide to sell them, there wouldn't be a better group of people who would appreciate them and take care of them than INGO members!
    This is another point to consider, they are presently being stored in less than ideal conditions, and I am concerned that they may rust if kept this way.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    None of us (my two brothers and I) are as much into guns as my dad was, and I certainly don't have the space to store approximately 100 rifles/shotguns, and a dozen or so handguns. (If I stored them all at my house) Plus the gun vault is the size of a refrigerator. While I would like to shoot each one of these, they would end up being safe queens if I keep them all, and I'd really need an entire room to hold it all. That's not to say they will definitely be sold, but at the moment it is being considered.

Understandable. I stand corrected and in no way did I mean to offend you.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I think that's a Japanese Arisaka Type 99 with the chrysanthemum crest ground off the front receiver ring. I think this grinding was standard on most post-war demilled rifles.
    The Japanese ground off the Chrysanthemum Crest themselves whenever they believed that their weapon was going to fall into enemy hands.
    The Chrysanthemum Crest was the symbol of The Emperor and having it on a weapon designated that the weapon was dedicated to defending the Empire and the life of the Emperor. To remove it meant that the weapon would not be disgraced by being used against The Emperor, or his loyal troops, while it held the crest of The Emperor.
    I have a Type 99 that my Dad took from a Japanese soldier after he made sure that the soldier would "have no further use for it".

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Both of the Arisaka's (type 99 from appearence) have collector value. They both appear to be in pretty nice shape. The first is as Uncle Mike stated above. It is collectable but not nearly as the second with a complete Chrysanthemum and the dust cover. It's a rare Arisaka that has an intact Chrysanthemum, dust cover, and the anti-aircraft sight. If they both fire (and from the looks of them they should) There's a nice bit of value there, especially to the right collector.

Check out Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II It's a pretty good source for decoding the stampings found on your Arisaka's.

Did your dad capture any of the bayonets or Samurai swords?

Top Bottom