• sunnyrambler

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2023
    Mishawaka
    A bunch of Bull
    For years I would dis Taurus, but I’ve had a change of heart, I got the GX4, and loved it, then got the G3C, and I like it too, then I found an orphan Taurus 85, and re homed it….
    Sorry to copy your idea Big Moose….
    The g3c was my first pistol and I love it.

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    As a rule I despise Taurus. The 856 has changed my mind.
    Hope your 856 is better than mine. It went out of time at round 266. TWO trips back to Taurus CS and they couldn't fix it - claimed it worked even when the cylinder wouldn't turn when pulling the trigger. On top of that, I had to pay shipping and a $50 bench fee. Their CS stinks and makes me not trust Taurus at all. And I'm not making all this up - it really happened.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Hope your 856 is better than mine. It went out of time at round 266. TWO trips back to Taurus CS and they couldn't fix it - claimed it worked even when the cylinder wouldn't turn when pulling the trigger. On top of that, I had to pay shipping and a $50 bench fee. Their CS stinks and makes me not trust Taurus at all. And I'm not making all this up - it really happened.
    I've had occasion to use Taurus customer service twice.
    My experiences were polar opposite of your description.
    I traded my niece a
    22lr H&R top break revolver for a non-working 709.
    This pistol would not fire more than 2 rounds consecutively without stovepiping.
    I sent it in one time,with a pre-paid shipping label and it came back with a different serial number and a note explaining that it was beyond repair so it was replaced.
    The second time was a finicky Taurus Thunderbolt rifle.
    They fixed that with no questions asked.

Did you call the customer service rep bad names?

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Did you call the customer service rep bad names?
    Of course not. I did send them a video of my attempting to shoot the revolver at the range, and it showed the cylinder NOT turning as I pulled the trigger. The CS people didn't want to look at the video. I insisted, they did and said "oh, okay." But their fix still didn't work. Their excuse was that I was pulling the trigger "too slowly." Slow or fast, it didn't rotate, and the speed shouldn't matter.

The issue was this: with a full complement of six rounds, it worked okay (most of the time). With two or three rounds loaded, it wouldn't. They test fired the gun with six rounds loaded, and it worked. I explained all this, but they wouldn't just load two or three rounds in the cylinder. It was a full six rounds or nothing. I took the gun to a local gunsmith, demo'd it, and he saw the issue immediately: the hand. (In fact, in my letter to Taurus I informed them I suspected the hand needed replacement, but they replaced the cylinder instead, which didn't solve the problem.) The local smith kept it overnight, and called me the next day to come get it. I've put over 400 rounds through it since them, and it has worked well so far. I'm not trusting it enough to carry it, however. There's always that little nag in the back of my mind that it will fail again.

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    See previous.
    And the kicker is...I like the little gun. It's a SIX shot, three-inch stainless revolver with an orange night sight on the front. It's +P rated, lightweight (considering) and quite handy. It's ever so slightly larger than a J frame - similar to a Colt Detective Special frame. But that little nagging is still there.

I'm wondering how many rounds I have to put through it before it's really trustworthy.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My first Taurus was a PT-99, that I bought in New Mexico, 1983. I loved that gun, but was going to Germany, so I sold it. I have been looking for another one for years, so someday I'll find the money, and the gun at the same time...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    For me it started with PT38SSs and went to pretty much everything in the PT900 series except a 957. Never bought anything made after early 2006 because they went off a quality control cliff later when they tried to drastically ramp production rates

Top Bottom