• ...and so much more!
  • Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    mosinss.JPG

Shorter barrel 91/30. Starts leaving a bruise after 10 rounds in a tshirt. Nearly too much recoil to fire prone. I'm 5'11 200lb and this thing eats my shoulder up quickly.

grumpe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    whiteland
    That is probably the best picture of a fire ball from a mosin I have seen. ^^^

First time I shot mine in a t-shirt (carbine) about 8-9 shots... I put it down and said holly hanna. Some kick. Shoulder was all different colors. I am 5'5, about 120. Smokingman got the "past pad" for me and I tell ya, that thing works great. Now it's my favorite rifle to shoot. It's my big baby. :D

33lf48w.jpg

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    91/30 never did seem to kick that hard to me... any of the carbines I'd call "pretty stout" but they're a lot of fun. If you get things good and snug like they ought to be, you won't really notice it, though.

One that does punish me is the m95 Steyr-Mannlicher. Sweet Baby Jesus, you better wrap up snug when you shoot one. Those things will make you pay dearly for bad form. Even the long rifle version is a punisher.

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I thought the same thing! I took mine out one day and shot a can of 300 surplus rounds (my buddy may have shot a few), they don't kick too bad. I don't know why they have such a bad (or good) reputation for harsh recoil. It's nicknamed the Russian 30-06 but I don't think it has near as much power, even if the bullet does sit a little higher in the casing.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just a hint...

If you shoot any of them sitting or prone, it's going to feel like it kicks more due to the more rigid position of your body.

Shooting standing and allowing your body to "rock" a little under recoil will make the recoil feel less.

That said, I've only shot 1 M/N, an M44, and only about 5 rounds.

At 6'4"-ish and 260-ish lbs (at the time...), shooting standing wasn't a big deal at all. In fact, I was rather disappointed. I expected much more pain and a sharper recoil impulse.

And that's coming from a guy who's admittedly a little recoil sensitive when it comes to .30+ caliber rifles.

-J-

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Just a hint...

If you shoot any of them sitting or prone, it's going to feel like it kicks more due to the more rigid position of your body.

Shooting standing and allowing your body to "rock" a little under recoil will make the recoil feel less.

That said, I've only shot 1 M/N, an M44, and only about 5 rounds.

At 6'4"-ish and 260-ish lbs (at the time...), shooting standing wasn't a big deal at all. In fact, I was rather disappointed. I expected much more pain and a sharper recoil impulse.

And that's coming from a guy who's admittedly a little recoil sensitive when it comes to .30+ caliber rifles.

-J-
    I agree. I never think my 91-30 is that bad; until I sit down.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I shot my 91/30 2 weeks ago after sighting in my AR, shooting a friend's 30-06, and shooting clays with a 16 gauge (went through the whole box of shells), then shot the 91/30 again. I decided to put a slip on recoil pad on it. It's a long and somewhat heavy rifle so I think that helps with the recoil but after shooting it a lot, it's definitely not that fun to keep shooting.

Top Bottom