• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not really sure if you're serious or joking. Ask your uncle what is the FIRST Thing he does when he buys a vehicle off of someone.
    This has me concerned.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. When we legally buy a firearm from another individual there are no requirements for documentation or verification, correct?

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    This has me concerned.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. When we legally buy a firearm from another individual there are no requirements for documentation or verification, correct?

This exactly. There is a BMV for vehicles. I was asking YOU Kutnupe14 where i could go to verify a legal firearm from a person i know to not be a felon. Also i can buy a gun from the police and that doesn't mean it isn't stolen. Eight New York policemen charged in gun smuggling ring | Reuters more of them where that one came from.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This has me concerned.

Who said anything about there being a legal requirement? There is no legal requirement to have a vehicle's VIN checked, however, if you want to if plated or to make sure it's not stolen, guess what you do?

Let's not attempt to change the premise. You asked how one could make sure a firearm isn't stolen. Well simple, have the serials numbers run through IDACS/NCIC, get documented proof, and low and behold, it's not an issue.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This exactly. There is a BMV for vehicles. I was asking YOU Kutnupe14 where i could go to verify a legal firearm from a person i know to not be a felon. Also i can buy a gun from the police and that doesn't mean it isn't stolen. Eight New York policemen charged in gun smuggling ring | Reuters more of them where that one came from.

And know about other jurisdictions, but you can march down to our PD and an officer will run it for you. And no, were not going to flag your home, put you in the secret "gun owner" file, or give you the business.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Who said anything about there being a legal requirement? There is no legal requirement to have a vehicle's VIN checked, however, if you want to if plated or to make sure it's not stolen, guess what you do?

We aren't required to register (plate) guns though. The legal obligations were met, right?

Let's not attempt to change the premise. You asked how one could make sure a firearm isn't stolen. Well simple, have the serials numbers run through IDACS/NCIC, get documented proof, and low and behold, it's not an issue.

So you are saying only to handle purchases through a dealer?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    We aren't required to register (plate) guns though. The legal obligations were met, right?

So you are saying only to handle purchases through a dealer?

Yes, all legal obligations are met. You are not required to make sure anything you purchase isn't stolen, however, if it is, you may be on the "hook."

And no, I'm not sayin' only handle purchases through dealers. If you are familiar with a person and trust them, that should be good enough. I'm talking about the "other" people that don't fit into that category. I don't know if youve seen these, but there have a number of stories re-told here, about people going to look at or purchase items, and somehow they end up in a "I didn't think this situation through" moment. Thankfully they all were unharmed, but s'pose a firearm was purchased through them, are they trustworthy enough that you wouldnt check up on the item you just bought?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes, all legal obligations are met. You are not required to make sure anything you purchase isn't stolen, however, if it is, you may be on the "hook."

And no, I'm not sayin' only handle purchases through dealers. If you are familiar with a person and trust them, that should be good enough. I'm talking about the "other" people that don't fit into that category. I don't know if youve seen these, but there have a number of stories re-told here, about people going to look at or purchase items, and somehow they end up in a "I didn't think this situation through" moment. Thankfully they all were unharmed, but s'pose a firearm was purchased through them, are they trustworthy enough that you wouldnt check up on the item you just bought?

First of all, thank you for the good info.

I was not aware that possession of a stolen gun alone would put me in jail. I would never intentionally buy from a questionable individual. I do buy used from INGO members, some that I know nothing about.

You mentioned marching down to HQ in your jurisdiction to check serial numbers. Is there an easy method for doing this statewide? Maybe via phone? Way better yet, e-mail, so there would be documentation?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    And know about other jurisdictions, but you can march down to our PD and an officer will run it for you. And no, were not going to flag your home, put you in the secret "gun owner" file, or give you the business.

I know the 2 Departments that are my Local resource both will not do this, unless the Weapon is/was involved in a crime... :dunno:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    This has me confused. A gun shop I know purchased five firearms. Two days later, the police show up. Come to find out the son had stolen them from his father and sold them. The gun shop owner could be charged?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This has me confused. A gun shop I know purchased five firearms. Two days later, the police show up. Come to find out the son had stolen them from his father and sold them. The gun shop owner could be charged?
    Apparently according to some of the LEOs... :dunno: :popcorn:

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy

The prosecutor filing charges and someone getting arrested are two separate issues. I believe the point being made here was if you are stopped and found to be in possession of a stolen handgun you may end up being arrested. However, as it has been pointed out, since you had no knowledge of the handgun being stolen and if there is no way of proving otherwise charges most likely would not be filed. This has happened many a time in Marion County, at least.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    So technically the police could have slapped the cuffs on the owner?

Well if they showed up at the gun store knowing that the stolen guns were purchased by the gun store without any knowledge of them being stolen, then I do not know why they would arrest anyone at the gun store. It would be a waste of time for the officer to arrest anyone and complete the paperwork, knowing the prosecutor would not file the charges.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Well if they showed up at the gun store knowing that the stolen guns were purchased by the gun store without any knowledge of them being stolen, then I do not know why they would arrest anyone at the gun store. It would be a waste of time for the officer to arrest anyone and complete the paperwork, knowing the prosecutor would not file the charges.

However it is not a waste of time to arrest a Person knowing the same?!

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    However it is not a waste of time to arrest a Person knowing the same?!

Yes, it is a complete waste of time and I know more than a few officers who would take the gun and cut the person loose. There are, however, officers who would arrest the person. I am just repeating what I have been told by numerous IMPD officers and their experiences in Marion County. If there is no way to prove the person knew the gun was stolen, there is no point in wasting your time locking him/her up.

Top Bottom