• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm still trying to make heads or tails about my experience today, and trying to piece together all of the details.

It all started when I had to take my wife to work this morning at 8:30. After that, I had to take my 5 year old son to a dentist appointment. Since i had a little time on my hands after the dentist, I went to Lowe's to pick up a new toilet. (that's a whole different story) Well, by this time, it is around 9:45 in the morning. Most people are at work, kids are at school, and there are very few cars in the Lowe's parking lot. Keep in mind, the temp is around -10, and I am carrying my Glock 23 IWB under a heavy coat.

I went inside the store and headed back to the toilets. After some deliberation, I finally decided on a toilet that had flush rating of 5 stars. I was pretty happy with my purchase. I headed to the checkout, paid for my purchase, and proceeded out the door. Since there weren't many cars in the parking lot, I was able to get a pretty good parking spot close to the door.

This is where it gets scary... As I load the boys into the car, and try to wrestle this 95 pound monster of a commode into the back of my SUV, something caught my eye. I see this guy, maybe 18-20 years old wandering aimlessly through the parking lot. This was odd, since it was so cold out and the place wasn't busy. Now my situational awareness is peaked. I mean, this guy looks like he is up to no good. He is a typical degenerate punk, dressed all up in odd clothing, with shifty eyes just scanning the parking lot.

I quickly get the porcelain throne into my SUV, when I notice he is making a bee line directly toward me. As I take my flat bed cart to the cart corral I see that this shady character is changing his direction to match mine. Now my adrenaline is pumping, my palms are sweating, and my focus is fixed on his every move. I quickly make a move toward my vehicle, walking backwards while my eyes remain fixed on him. I make a point to let him know that I am aware that he is there, and I am ready to deal with whatever decision he makes.

At this point, his pace slowed down a bit, and I could tell that he was contemplating his next move. I continued to my vehicle, where I opened the door, but still did not turn my back on my assailant. I just stood in the open door staring him down. I think he knew I meant business, because he quickly moved toward the cart corral, took all of the carts and headed toward the building. (Like that wasn't obvious)

I know that things could have turned out differently, and quite frankly, I feel lucky to be alive at this point. I left the parking lot as quickly as possible, went home and cried like a little baby. I was a nervous wreck. I think I did everything right, but am open to input. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

:popcorn:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I think you did fine, you identified the threat and neutralized it without getting hurt or shooting anybody, good job!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    You got home safe and sound. No shots fired. Situational awareness wins every time. Good job.

Only thing I would ad is reporting him to store management and security. Might stop it from becoming a problem later in the day.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In my opinion this is a great example of how firearms act as a tool in the defense of honest people. You were armed, you were aware, you were confident in how you dealt with this situation. Maybe it was nothing, but the fact is you had the confidence to stand your ground. Criminals are looking for an easy mark and if this person was up to no good, they determined that you were not going to make it easy for them.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I think you did fine, you identified the threat and neutralized it without getting hurt or shooting anybody, good job!

You got home safe and sound. No shots fired. Situational awareness wins every time. Good job.

Only thing I would ad is reporting him to store management and security. Might stop it from becoming a problem later in the day.

In my opinion this is a great example of how firearms act as a tool in the defense of honest people. You were armed, you were aware, you were confident in how you dealt with this situation. Maybe it was nothing, but the fact is you had the confidence to stand your ground. Criminals are looking for an easy mark and if this person was up to no good, they determined that you were not going to make it easy for them.

You guys understand this is sarcasm right??

The Shifty kid was an employee coming to see if he need help loading the crapper, then he brought the carts in..

Holy cow either it is really late or I have a bridge for sale.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I give this story a B+. If you would have drawn your pistol and screamed at the cart boy to suck pavement, I would have upgraded it to an A. Still good though. Sadly the thickness of the sarcasm at the end still made it past some.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Even if his intentions were harmless, you just had a very real test of your reactions in a stressful situation. Sounds like you kept an eye on things, had a good plan of action, and were ready to act if you had to.

I'm glad you didn't have to act.

I had a similar experience the other night at the post office, and know how you feel right now. I stopped at to get the mail from our PO box, and had my 3 year old with me. I didn't leave her in the truck (obviously a bad idea), but took her with me into the PO.

I leave the post office, and look both ways as I cross the street back towards where I parked, and see a middle aged man pushing a baby stroller. Low temperature outside, so I think its odd that he's out taking the kid for a walk, but know that a few blocks south of our post office is a low income health clinic, and many people walk to it from some appartments that are also close to the PO.

I open the passenger door and put my daughter in my truck quickly (I'm loading from the drivers side which is towards the street), keeping him in my peripheral vision to my right. Mind you, I was just at the post office, and before that was in a school building (but parked off campus) so my carry weapon is in the truck. He is on the sidewalk walking normally, but also looking right at me. I think he's doing what other parents like me do and checking out other parents and their children. Seymour is also a small town, and I thought it might be someone I know, or that knows me, but I don't recognize him yet due to a heavy coat.

Suddenly he changes path and pushes the stroller into the street and in a direct line towards me. I slam her door shut and immediately make eye contact with him. This is really bizzare behavior now and has me on edge. I make eye contact with him and move my way back towards the drivers door. Before I've opened the door (and given myself access to my weapon) he has closed the distance on me very quickly. Cue massive addrenaline dump, etc (no I didn't scream or blade at 45 ;)). My hand is now on my knife in my pocket. He asks me in a very hard to understand voice "Sir, do you like fish sandwiches." I'm thinking to myself, WTF? and say excuse me? He says, "What about tenderloins?" I'm still confused and respond "No, thank you" thinking he is trying to sell me something, is drunk/high, all of the above. He reaches into his stroller (and I'm literally about ready to punch him in the face because I'm expecting he is going to pull a gun or knife on me from under the blanket) and pulls out a flyer for a new restaurant opening up downtown. It happens in slow motion and I see that under the blanket there is no child, but a variety of plastic bags from a local pharmacy.

He hands one to me, and says "Joe's Restaurant (don't remember the real name) has the best fish and tenderloin sandwiches around, hands down. You should stop in and try one some time."

Mind you we're both standing in the street at this point, and I'm still trying to figure out this guy's intentions. I'm thinking now that he's trying to distract me with this rediculous story while someone tries to kidnap my daughter. I again say, "No thank you, I'm in a hurry" and open the door behind me and hop in the truck.

He watches me and continues to jaywalk across the street (at a 45...:):) towards the Post Office. I glance and see my daughter is still in the truck and with a confused look on her face too. I close the door, lock the doors, and then put her seat belt on, glancing back at this guy. He's still looking back at me as he's walking away, much slower now.

Like you, I'm trying to make heads or tails of what the heck was going on. In my mind I've rationalized it to 3 possible things:

1) He was drunk / high / crazy / aggressive sales guy and had no clue what was going on and was acting in a way he thought was normal, but that was obviously not normal to me.

2) He was intending to rob me or harm my daughter, but thought better of it after I was able to stay between him and her. Perhaps I had instinctively reached for my gun on my hip, or forced my hand into my pocket like I had a weapon (which I did have a knife) and he recognized that motion and changed course.

3) He was not detered by my actions, but was going to slow play things like he was just being friendly, and wait for me to turn my back on him, and then attack me. By turning into him and opening the door behind myself, he didn't have an opportunity to do so.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    At the first point where I realized the threat was moving in on my vehicle (and where my children were) I would have considered it a threat on my families heath and immediatly reached for my .50 S&W revolver located at the 4:00 IWB position. As I'm drawing down upon the threat I would've announced in my drill instructor like voice that he needed to "eat asphalt" or die because of his threatening actions. I would've walked towards the bg as he was headed for the ground continuing to keep my sights on his center of mass. While firmly placing my size 13 steel toed boot on his neck, I would've had my children get out of the vehicle and pull the nylon ties out of my tach vest. After ensuring that the perp was under control, I would've re-analysed the area for additional threat. Considering the elderly couple in the adjacent vehicle as potential threats (why would the elderly be shopping in such cold weather) I would take cover behing the front wheel well of my tach assault vehicle and drawn down upon that couple, ordered them out of their vehicle and onto the ground as well. I would then approach the couple to just within enough reach to kick the cane out of the thugs hand so he could not use it against me while I awaited LEO back up (like I needed any). If it weren't for my children being in the car, I would've hauled this group of terrorists downtown by myself, but I still had dry cleaning to get done before the wife came home.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You did OK, I guess, but you really should have been better prepared. Lowes zombies are no joke, although they are not as vicious as Home Depot zombies. I will not so much as enter those places without a folding stock Saiga 12, Glock in drop leg holster and a j-frame in pocket, for good measure. Glad you made it out of this one alive.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    OH MY GOSH PEOPLE... . this is a joke!

Do you honestly believe this! it was the CART BOY! good grief.

He is making fun of all the paranoid "Close Call" stories posted here, where nothing happens.

I give it, a 4 out of 5.

/golfclap

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Home Depot parking lot is not safe either!!!!!!

A heads up for INGO men who may be regular Home Depot customers in the area. This one caught me by surprise.

Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic.
    Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.
    Here's how the scam works:
    Two seriously good-looking 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your bags into the trunk. They both start wiping your
    windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.
    When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' and instead ask you for a ride to McDonald's. You agree and they get in the backseat.
    On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen June 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th & 29th. Also July 1st, 5th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th, 30th, three times last Saturday and very likely again
    This upcoming weekend.
    So tell your friends to be careful.
    P.S. Wal-mart has wallets on sale $2.99 each.

Top Bottom