• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    ... Always zero out the scales before weighing first charge, period.

I also dump the first three powder drops back into the hopper. The powder seems to settle overnight so my first few powder drops of a session are inconsistent. I do the same thing after adjusting the powder drop on my Dillon XL650, the first three get dumped then I start weighing on the fourth until I am sure it is consistent, spot checks thereafter.

Last edited:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I remember years ago I had a double charge of bullseye on my lee loadmaster press, It was in a 50 round session. I was shooting my kimber ultra cdp. It was the one time (its been the only time as ever since I have at least 1 if not 2 pairs of glasses in my truck)I forgot my shooting glasses. The round before, I stretched all the way out on the bench, arms fully forward, floated the circle on the sights instead of covering half the circle and hit center. The next shot same thing, all stretched out taking extra time , at the click of the trigger I saw a black flash coming my way , it was the powder and gasses, and I had just enough time to close my eyes. The unburnt powder took 2 days to pick out of my face, My hands were tingling and numb. I got lucky, the wooden grips cracked taking most of the pressure, the magazine blew out the bottom. The case looked just like yers, as kimber sent it back with the gun after they fixed it. Amazingly it was just new grips, new mag, and a full disassembly & cleaning. Whenever I go shooting, whoever i'm with, I always make them wear glasses, if they don't, they don't shoot. Glad yer ok, hopefully peeps learn from others mistakes, as reloading is fun.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    IIRC Gramps used Clays for his IPSC reloads, always shot real well with the 185 LSWC's he favored

I like Clays for 9mm and .45acp. If you have a double charge (and it has happened) it is very obvious. With 9mm it will overflow the case. I have tried Tightgroup and it is difficult for me to see a double charge. :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Glad you are OK. On the erratic chronograph readings I have seen some similar readings and discovered that the chronograph was too close to the muzzle and was being affected by the muzzle blast. I always verify the chronograph by putting either a factory load or known handload through it before firing my test loads. This not only indicates the chronograph is setup and functioning properly but also acts as a reference case.

It is wise to select a powder such that it is not possible to double charge without spilling out of the case. Unfortunately, this isn't easy to do with some rounds such as the 5.7.

I would also like to add something else for your consideration. It sounds as if you had multiple rounds that had this condition but your description of the reloading sequence and the possible overcharge seems limited to one round. I would also look to ensure you have adequate crimp to ensure you don't get bullet setback during chambering. Such setback could also cause what you experienced.

Yup, that's what I do :)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Oh my goodness. Using a trickler and weighing every charge for your pistol has to be mind numbing.

Maybe I'm overly fanatical but with light pistol charges the powder measures are all over the place. I'm using an auto primer along with a turret press using Hornady or RCBS power measures. 2.7 gr of bullseye -- 38 special or 4.3gr of Clays -- 45acp, these are light charges.

So I full length size, then prime a batch then throw a charge while the scale settling I open the case mouth, trickle to weight if needed and then fill case, the press bullet.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I remember years ago I had a double charge of bullseye on my lee loadmaster press, It was in a 50 round session. I was shooting my kimber ultra cdp. It was the one time (its been the only time as ever since I have at least 1 if not 2 pairs of glasses in my truck)I forgot my shooting glasses. The round before, I stretched all the way out on the bench, arms fully forward, floated the circle on the sights instead of covering half the circle and hit center. The next shot same thing, all stretched out taking extra time , at the click of the trigger I saw a black flash coming my way , it was the powder and gasses, and I had just enough time to close my eyes. The unburnt powder took 2 days to pick out of my face, My hands were tingling and numb. I got lucky, the wooden grips cracked taking most of the pressure, the magazine blew out the bottom. The case looked just like yers, as kimber sent it back with the gun after they fixed it. Amazingly it was just new grips, new mag, and a full disassembly & cleaning. Whenever I go shooting, whoever i'm with, I always make them wear glasses, if they don't, they don't shoot. Glad yer ok, hopefully peeps learn from others mistakes, as reloading is fun.

Thank you for your story. Basically my story mirrors yours except I was wearing eye protection which took a piece of brass for me and was embedded so deep I just ordered a new pair to replace it. It happened so fast I don't even remember having time to close my eye's. Honestly, I am lucky I was shooting an all steel 1911 and had all my safety gear in place otherwise it would have been a bad day for me. I loaded over 1K round this weekend of .45 ACP and I tell you before putting that bullet in place over each one of them I was looking for a double charge or case issues. When I had press issues I would clear the entire plate, fix the issue, and start over again.

Top Bottom