• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    There are a few things that bother me about the story but the conversation about it has been good.

These are things that I am interested to know or that I find weird -
    1. OP bailed on his own post - weird
    2. OP never really said he gave the officer his permit, he just stated he had one. Did he have it on him when he was stopped? if not then this could lead to the cuffs until he verifies permit.
    3. Why did the OP get pulled over? Maybe he was leaving a bar or was driving like he did. So the officer was questioning him to see if he was coming from a bar where maybe he would be impaired.
    4. I guess there are good reasons for an officer to engage you in conversation - A) determine if your speech seems slurred. B) see if your breath smells of alcohol.
    5. OP seemed like before the officer told him the real reason he was stopping him he was asking the officer if he was free to go. So this may have made the officer feel that he was acting suspeciously, nervously or scared.

The OP may very well have good answers for all of these but I think that it would just be a nice piece of the puzzle if we knew the answers. That doesn't make the other good dicussion go away but it does shine a bit more light on it all.:twocents:

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    If it's not in plain sight it is a search

Versus plain sight in which you don't have to go through something carefully to find something concealed.

Isn't the objective of looking through a window, only at what's in "plain sight"
    to
    "explore or examine in order to discover" a weapon in the ?

So per your definition of a search, Looking in plain sight is in fact a type of search. And your arguing with yourself. :dunno:

:n00b:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    There are a few things that bother me about the story but the conversation about it has been good.

2. OP never really said he gave the officer his permit, he just stated he had one. Did he have it on him when he was stopped? if not then this could lead to the cuffs until he verifies permit.
    3. Why did the OP get pulled over? Maybe he was leaving a bar or was driving like he did. So the officer was questioning him to see if he was coming from a bar where maybe he would be impaired.
    4. I guess there are good reasons for an officer to engage you in conversation - A) determine if your speech seems slurred. B) see if your breath smells of alcohol.
    5. OP seemed like before the officer told him the real reason he was stopping him he was asking the officer if he was free to go. So this may have made the officer feel that he was acting suspeciously, nervously or scared.

The OP may very well have good answers for all of these but I think that it would just be a nice piece of the puzzle if we knew the answers. That doesn't make the other good dicussion go away but it does shine a bit more light on it all.:twocents:

Waiting for someone to pull out of a bar and pulling them over for that reason alone as mentioned above is entrapment and illegal.

Isn't the objective of looking through a window, only at what's in "plain sight"
    to
    "explore or examine in order to discover" a weapon in the ?

So per your definition of a search, Looking in plain sight is in fact a type of search. And your arguing with yourself. :dunno:

:n00b:

Concealed is in the definition as in NOT IN PLAIN SIGHT. Searching and a visual inspection is two very different things otherwise concealed carry for example wouldn't exist.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville

Careful, Ive been saying this, and look where its got me.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming anything on Chief. I do think it was wrong what happened to him.

But maybe I read his OP the wrong way. I got the feeling he could have come off as rude, to the officer.

I'll go back and read the OP again.

And I do understand what your saying, and I also agree.
    What does it matter if he was rude?? I guess I never realized that rudness gives LE a free pass to violate a citizen.

So if an officer is rude to me does that mean I get to just drive off and not follow the law?

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Waiting for someone to pull out of a bar and pulling them over for that reason alone as mentioned above is entrapment and illegal.

Well I hear ya. I didn't say it quite the way I meant it. What I mean is that possibly he was seen leaving a bar and then driving like he may be impaired. I did not mean that the mere fact that he left a bar should get him pulled over. Some people are designated drivers and many more are not drunk when they leave a bar.

The points argued are valid and I too have argued them. But it would be nice if the OP would shed some light on it all.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Well I hear ya. I didn't say it quite the way I meant it. What I mean is that possibly he was seen leaving a bar and then driving like he may be impaired. I did not mean that the mere fact that he left a bar should get him pulled over. Some people are designated drivers and many more are not drunk when they leave a bar.

The points argued are valid and I too have argued them. But it would be nice if the OP would shed some light on it all.

That is what my main thing is but when people started saying the OP was guilty until proven innocent I was dumbfounded.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    haha I went to neg norman and pos'd him instead. Took away all his bright red bars. I hope he's not mad at me. lol

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    Last time I got pulled over I told the officer I had a glock on my side and a smith in my door, he didn't care he just wanted to know what was in my ammo crate that read explosive. He gave me a ticket, and never turned it in.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    A few weeks ago there was a similar story, where the INGO member told the cop he was just leaving his girlfriend's house. Then the cop demanded her phone number so he could call her and verify. Give me a break! :xmad: This is the reward for answering invasive questions.

I got pulled over and detained for about 20 minutes once because I was seen leaving my X's parents house after 11. Her Dad ran a gun shop on his property, and the PO had seen me pull out of his driveway, and pulled me over for that reason alone. He never asked me for their phone number; he just made me sit there on the side of the road while he called up someone who had her Dad's phone number, called the phone number, and verified with him that it was ok that I was leaving his property at 11:00 pm.

Edit:
    Oh, hey, post 50!

fireworks.gif

Last edited:

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    I have read so many of these posts, it's like "Ground Hog Day"! Yep, we have the right to not answer any police officers questions, especially silly ones like "where are you going" and "where are you coming from" but that doesn't seem to stop them from asking. Is there a correct answer to those questions? I mean there are truthful answers but are they going to change an officers mind about how he thinks this stop is going to proceed. All police officers carry a umbrella that covers everything under the pretense of "for yours and my safety". We challenge them, all within our rights and if, and only if, we take it to court like LS did will we get the chance to convince a judge or maybe even a jury that we did nothing wrong. Let's say we win, what do we get then? Think Liberty doesn't look in the rear view mirror more often than he did a few weeks ago? We all know it isn't right, it's just the way it is. I don't know, I wouldn't have answered a cops question as to "what is your girl friends phone number". That one you are just going to have to take me to jail for, but questions that I know, and he knows, and we all know is against our rights like where I am going, hell, I am going to say home, the store, or the bathroom if it keeps me out of hand cuffs. I suppose I am going to get flamed for wanting to keep out of harms way but some battles are worth fighting for and some aren't. Truth, Liberty and Justice for All is one of those battles but this instance wasn't Bunker Hill, it was a not ever routine, routine traffic stop unless the OP says it wasn't and then we will never get the police officers side of the story. Nuns and Puppies, dear [strike]God[/strike] gracious man, the humanity of it all.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Well I will have to contradict something I said earlier. I did get a break one time, an officer did let me go and I did answer his question.

A beecher IL cop pulled me over for speeding one afternoon. He asked nicely where I was going. I said "I am trying to get to my daughters softball game to watch her play". He said "I can understand that" and he let me go without a ticket:rockwoot:

I just remembered that this morning. That was when she was about 9 now she's almost 20:eek: where has the time gone:dunno::(

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I just remembered that this morning. That was when she was about 9 now she's almost 20:eek: where has the time gone:dunno::(
    . My daughte is six and my son 5. Time goes way to quickly. I suffer from empty nest syndrome just thinking about them growing up.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I am going to say home, the store, or the bathroom if it keeps me out of hand cuffs.

How will answering questions keep you out of cuffs? Just the opposite happened.

The officer didn't respond poorly and put the OP in cuffs until he did answer a question.

I doubt Chefcook will choose to do that again. I know I won't.

The correct answer is always a polite, "Why am I being detained?"

Top Bottom