• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I guess its just me, If I get stopped, for any reason and they want to search my vehicle, Go for it.
    If they rang my doorbell and asked to look around my apartment, go for it. Do I have the RIGHT to refuse, well yeah.
    But why?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I love the logic of:

A: I'm going to ask you a question that you don't have to answer.
    B: If I don't have to answer it, then I'm not going to.
    A: Since you didn't answer I now have reason to believe that you're hiding something and will treat you like a criminal.
    B: But I thought I didn't have to answer.
    A: You don't, but if you don't I'll disarm you, handcuff you, and search your vehicle.

They should try this for a house search.

A: Sir, we'd like to search your house.
    B: No, I don't want you to.
    A: If you didn't have something hide you'd let us search. Now we have a reason to search.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I guess its just me, If I get stopped, for any reason and they want to search my vehicle, Go for it.
    If they rang my doorbell and asked to look around my apartment, go for it. Do I have the RIGHT to refuse, well yeah.
    But why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp6gaB-YmVA

I'ma let you finish...........

give someone enough rope and they will hang themselves.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I never said anything about "unarming" oneself. I would NEVER allow to be unarmed unless I am being arrested for a crime. I am sorry but the only person that can tell me to remove my firearm, when I'm carrying legally, is myself. Notifying a LEO that I'm armed does not bother me, and is required by my specific carry permit that I'm legally obligated to. And in my own personal experiences I have not had any issues with it.
    If you would NEVER allow yourself to be disarmed by someone else, then what will you do when the LEO illegally demands that you surrender your firearm? Not notifying the LEO can keep you from being put in that situation. I know that OH law requires that you inform, but is that the law or a condition of your license? If it is a condition of your license you're correct, you must abide by that here in IN. If not, you are not required to follow OH law in IN. For example, It is against the law to carry into a bar in OH, however you could legally carry with an OH license here.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Sorry I'm not going to hang myself, I just don't assume all cops are out to get me.
    Example
    My friend got pulled over on 465 by a STATE TROOPER (the worst of em right?)
    for 120 in a 55. that ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY IN A FIFTY FIVE
    O:Sir do you know how fast you were going
    Friend:120 Sir
    Where you heading?: Mall to meet some friends
    Ill need to see your license ect ect.....
    Officer wrote him a warning just for being respectful.
    could have thrown his a** in jail for reckless driving.
    I just think if your respectful, they can be too.
    I'm not all about this "fight the power" crap. Just follow the law, and stay under the radar.
    I love the arguments everyone gets into on this site, its like no one is allowed to have a different opinion.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    If the OP is accurate in his story, I would take a second mortgage out to file a law suit and sue the LEO and his department. What the LEO did was illegal, HE was the criminal in this case. I may have responded differently to the LEO but he had no right to cuff and disarm the OP unless there is more to this story that hasn't come out.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    When the officer asked if you know why he was pulling you over you should have said "oh sorry, I thought you would know".:D

Seriously - I really believe in being very pollite and a regular guy when the police pull me over and I assume most people feel the same. Nobody wants a ticket. However, I have always felt weird about those questions of "where are you headed tonight" or "where are you comming from"? They are not asking just because they want to talk. They are asking for the simple fact that they want to see if you may be a criminal.

I don't like them trying to figure out if I may have done something wrong. If I match the description of a perp or I pulled out of an active crime scene - fine. But if I am just driving a little fast then you don't have the right to know where I am coming from or what I am doing.

Now I must say that I NEVER get out of a ticket and it does not matter how nice I am - I always get the ticket! Actually, I like to refer to them as a driving certificate. It just sounds more pleasant:):

If he asked about my gun then I would probably say yes I have one and yes I have a permit to carry. If he then entered my car to search after having that information I would spend my last dime fighting that one in court.

I do not have to prove that I am not a criminal and I do not have to prove that I don't have anything I shouldn't. They hav to have probable cause and they have to then prove that I did do something wrong other than speeding.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    When the officer asked if you know why he was pulling you over you should have said "oh sorry, I thought you would know".:D

Seriously - I really believe in being very pollite and a regular guy when the police pull me over and I assume most people feel the same. Nobody wants a ticket. However, I have always felt weird about those questions of "where are you headed tonight" or "where are you comming from"? They are not asking just because they want to talk. They are asking for the simple fact that they want to see if you may be a criminal.

I don't like them trying to figure out if I may have done something wrong. If I match the description of a perp or I pulled out of an active crime scene - fine. But if I am just driving a little fast then you don't have the right to know where I am coming from or what I am doing.

Now I must say that I NEVER get out of a ticket and it does not matter how nice I am - I always get the ticket! Actually, I like to refer to them as a driving certificate. It just sounds more pleasant:):

If he asked about my gun then I would probably say yes I have one and yes I have a permit to carry. If he then entered my car to search after having that information I would spend my last dime fighting that one in court.

I do not have to prove that I am not a criminal and I do not have to prove that I don't have anything I shouldn't. They hav to have probable cause and they have to then prove that I did do something wrong other than speeding.

+1

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Sorry I'm not going to hang myself, I just don't assume all cops are out to get me.
    Example
    I'm not all about this "fight the power" crap. Just follow the law, and stay under the radar.
    I love the arguments everyone gets into on this site, its like no one is allowed to have a different opinion.

This is absurd.

120mph is excessive and dangerous by most standards. While I don't believe that speed limits should be regulated, they should be regulated fairly if at all.

That cop was unprofessional for issuing a warning based on sufficient groveling instead of based on safety (the supposed justification for speeding tickets). It's hypocritical at best.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

My friend, the police are looking for probable cause to make an arrest.
    That is their JOB.

Maybe your dumb butt friend that was doing 120mph stuffed a bag of weed
    in your passenger seat or your couch cushion at some point.
    Hypothetical and all but the cop that finds that is not going to believe you are a good citizen with nothing to hide.

Honest ostifer!!!! That's not mine!!!!! :eek:

Sure pal, :rolleyes: place you hands behind your back.

Not and argument, just a discussion.
    Oh, you can have a different opinion and I will hold you up as being able to hold that opinion.
    I don't have to agree with your opinion however and think it is flawed.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Oh I forgot to add that my payment for my most recent "driving certificate" is due to Indiana this month. Passed an unmarked at 72 in a 55. He pulled me over with full lights and siren. I drove from here to TN and back again using my cruise control so I would not get a certificate. Then, for a very brief time crossing from KY into Indiana I sped up in a merging traffic area and I got popped.

My son got one also about two weeks ago in St. John. It's his first so he can probably do deferral.

I was super polite to the state officer and I had my wife and daughter in the car. He never even thought anout giving me a warning or a break on the speed.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Maybe your dumb butt friend that was doing 120mph stuffed a bag of weed
    in your passenger seat or your couch cushion at some point.
    Hypothetical and all but the cop that finds that is not going to believe you are a good citizen with nothing to hide.

Honest ostifer!!!! That's not mine!!!!! :eek:

Sure pal, :rolleyes: place you hands behind your back.

Lol, don't be friends with people who smoke weed. Simple as that.
    And my friend was actually on a motorcycle, which just makes it that much better.

And you guys just need to do a group by on radar detectors. It seems like it would solve everyone problems. I've never been pulled over, Saves my butt a few times a week at least.
    *knock on wood.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Should of just made up something embarrassing to answer back at the officer, something like, "well, I was just coming back from the Doctor's office from having a quarter-sized boil on my butt lanced, you should have really seen that thing." "Right now I'm looking for a place to take an explosive runny crap, recommend any clean restrooms in the area? The Doctor said to be careful with infecting the wound on my ass..."

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I was LEO for four years and I asked people where they were coming from and where they were going, but you are absolutely right in that where you are going is an irrelevant question. Where you were coming from may be relevent if you were "spotted" by a sheeple open carrying and someone failed to be adequately informed about the laws. He would be conducting an investigation. I asked a guy where he was coming from and he said that was none of my business. I told him I had every right to ask him that question and he had every right not to answer. I am glad that it worked out for you. Not answering his questions is certainly your right. He searched your vehicle when there was no crime committed is BS.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Example
    I can decline to answer any question without being disrespectful. I can also refuse to consent to a search of my property without being disrespectful. I have had a county sheriff and an ISP detective in my family. I was raised to have a great deal of respect for law enforcement. When the person wearing the badge ceases to enforce the law and begins to violate it, they are no longer are worthy of that respect.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    But why?
    Well they could be looking for a stolen generator, which I most certainly wouldn't have, but see the CD I copied from my friend and get me for federal piracy. Remember Richard Jewel, the Olympic Park bomber subject who was actually a hero? The FBI searched his house and carried out boxes of "evidence" for the media cameras to photograph. In fact the FBI called the media and told them when they would be searching. It turned out all they carried out was his tupperware and all of his Disney videos. They made him look like he was a criminal when he was a hero. He had to sue to get his stuff back. He won and the FBI said that he could swing by the office and retrieve his items. He told them they took them from his house and they will return them to his house. They agreed, but said if there were any media there, they would drive right on by. He had nothing to hide too. They searched his house without his permission, I realize, but I am just saying that unintended consequences can result from saying, "I have nothing to hide. Look all you want." We were taught at the academy that when you ask someone if you can search their property/car and they ask what will happen if they decline, we could not say, "We will get a search warrant and then search," because that is coercion. But that is exactly what would have happened. In the military, the judges would give permission to search at the drop of a hat. Sucks, I know.

Top Bottom