• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    My dad is reducing his gun collection and decided to give me his Marlin 30-30 today! It is not an heirloom, and is only a few years old (he only shot it one day). It had a scope, but I took it off, because I want this to be my "Old West" gun. Keeping that in mind, aside from a better sling, are there any other accessories that are good to have with this gun? What about affordable 30-30 ammo sources?

Now if they will only make this caliber legal for deer season, I would certainly spend more than one weekend hunting. I always wanted to hunt with a rifle, and this one is just perfect.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    Congrats on the new gun! The 30-30 is a classic American caliber. I have not done much to mine except put a peep sight on it. I went with the Williams. My guess is Walmart will have a decent price on ammo. Have fun.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just make sure you don't run thru the streets yelling "I have a gun! I have a gun!" Whenever I do that, I get in trouble.
    If you wanna sell it, I'll pay twice what you did.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ohhh fond memories!!!!

I can still remember when I got my first 30-30 Marlin.......I felt like Ralphy with his new Red Rider going after Black Bart in the back yard.......

I had just mounted a new scope on top of it and had never had any experience with a larger recoil gun and scopes.........guess what......"I shot my eye out!!!!"...well and the bridge of my nose too......fond memories!!!:rockwoot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can still remember when I got my first 30-30 Marlin.......I felt like Ralphy with his new Red Rider going after Black Bart in the back yard.......

I had just mounted a new scope on top of it and had never had any experience with a larger recoil gun and scopes.........guess what......"I shot my eye out!!!!"...well and the bridge of my nose too......fond memories!!!:rockwoot:

Betcha didn't do that anymore. Ouch!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just gave my brother an older (1970's) Marlin 336 30/30, but only after I got my new Mossberg 464 lever 30/30.
    WOW I like my new rifle.

Not that there was anything wrong with the Marlin. Just, getting a new one, made parting with the Marlin palatable.

BTW- 30/30 IS a legal Indiana deer round, in a pistol configuration. (T/C Contender/Encore)

Rabbitracks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The marlin 336s are known for severe recoil, and for some reason the pistol grip stocks seem to be the worst.

Answer to cheap ammo... RELOAD!!!

Have fun and next lever gun you get, try a Marlin 1895 Cowboy. It's in 45-70 and will rock your world! Accurate little bugger too.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    30-30 is one of remmingtons high number sale ammo. you can look at flea markets and yard sale and find 30-30 cheap. but most is hunting ammo not plinking ammo. so its not the cheapest.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    The marlin 336s are known for severe recoil, and for some reason the pistol grip stocks seem to be the worst.

Answer to cheap ammo... RELOAD!!!

Have fun and next lever gun you get, try a Marlin 1895 Cowboy. It's in 45-70 and will rock your world! Accurate little bugger too.

"The marlin 336s are known for severe recoil, and for some reason the pistol grip stocks seem to be the worst."

:+1::+1:.........you'll shoot your eye out!!!!!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    People overlook how good pain is as a teacher. It's worked for thousands of years.
    Although, sometimes I could go with a little less teaching :)

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I would like to have one of these fine rifles. I would put a saddle ring on it and a short throw kit on it!!!

Top Bottom