I get to teach my nephew about guns. Any pointers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So over the weekend I about had a heart attack when my nephew told me that his mom said he could go to the range with me. His mom is a loving mother, but comes from a long line of Demacrats and we don't agree on much politically so when I heard this my first thoght was that his mother didn't really say this and that I needed to get some confirmation before getting my leg pulled by a 10 year old boy. Turned out his mother, much to her credit, said that she didn't want him learning about guns in video games where they just run around killing people but wanted him to learn the responsibilities of gun handling, and so on. I was pretty proud of her for this because it was a huge huge huge step for her to get out of her comfort zone.

So anyway, I'm planning on starting with a long winded safety class. I'm going try to do everything I can to get the point across that the scariest thing on earth is a person with a gun who doesn't know how to use/handle it safely. I don't want to scare him too much on what could happen, but I'm going to err on the side of overdoing the safety talk.

Once the shooting starts, I was thinking of starting him off with a little CO2 pellet pistol and watching closely to see how he does with it. Once he's proven some safe skills, I figured we'd go up from there into some 22lr's. Basically I'm thinking the order will be; pellet pistol, bolt action 22lr rifle, 10-22 22lr, 22lr pistol, but maybe I should put the 22lr bolt action first. I'd like some thoughts on that because I like the idea of safely learning a rifle first, then a pistol, but I like the lower power of a pellet pistol, then a 22lr. I'm on the fence. If he really impresses me we may get out the 11-87 or an AR. I don't want to throw too much at him in one day, but at the same time I want to provide him an oportunity to try out a sampling of what's out there.

There's plenty of different ideas out there on ways to get the safety point across to kids and one idea that struck me as a way to get their attention about the possibilities of the danger of guns would be to put a pumkin, apple, orange, or something similar out back and blast with a 12 gauge to get the point across that things really do happen on the other end of the barrel when a trigger gets pulled.

The other teaching aid I wanted to use was some 22lr tracers. We'll be shooting in my back yard so there's no problems with that, but I thought it's make it more fun to him to be able to see the bullets fly and more importantly see any bad shots. It seems to be an easier way to hold every round fired accountable, but at the same time I'm debating on this because I don't want him to think it's a laser gun or that we're playing some kind of game.

Any thoughts on "reactive" targets? I know paper will be sort of fun for him, but I'm sure he'd rather have pop cans, milk jugs etc. The only problem is that I don't want to get him thinking destruction as much as he needs to be learning safe use.

Is there anything important that I'm missing here? I want his first time shooting a gun to absoluletly perfectly.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    You're on the right track. Safety first! If you stress safe handling and reward him for safe practices then I think you have an excellent plan of action. Congratulations on getting him out to the range with you! Have fun.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I second the pellet pistol idea! Good way to start teaching muzzle awareness without too much risk. You can also teach proper hold, handling safety, and safety mechanism operations. I would circle back to the CO2 option again, should you decide to teach advanced quick draw tactics. :)

.22 is a great starter. It has a decent bang and no recoil. However, they need to learn recoil at some point. Maybe a 410 once you know he's got the safety basics down. They need to know that some guns kick and that they might hurt if you don't hold properly. It also gives them the idea that if it hurt their shoulder to shoot it, it would really hurt to get shot with it. It's all about teaching respect.

Once they know the power they hold in their hands they need to know exactly what it can do. Don't just shoot at paper targets all day. Stop by the market and get some fruit and eggs to shoot. Mellon are always good and so are soda bottles. It will really drives home the destructive power a LOT better than a piece of paper ever will. Shooting at plywood and 2x4's is a good way to demonstrate penetration.

Make it easy for them to connect thoughts about the raw power they are holding. Ask questions to make them think. Ask them things like, "is any part of you body as hard as this board?" and then show them what the shotgun will do to the board. Talk about basic laws, rules, and consequences like prison. You don't want to scare them off from shooting, but you want to really drive home that it's not a video game, it's a very powerful tool, and life does not have a reset button.

While using the pellet pistol and after you have a reasonable belief that they have mastered muzzle awareness, interrupt them just before shooting and watch how they handle the gun when they turn around. This will tell you if you need to go back to the basics.

praise, praise, praise. Make sure to let them know when they do a good job and do not be overly harsh when they screw up. Make comments about how excellent they are holding the gun. Make it all fun but also make it clear you are there for business.

Above all, don't make it a one time thing. Do all of it often and regularly. Once they are pro, drag the mother out to show her what a fine and outstanding shot her boy is and how safely he can handle responsibility. It's your job to reinforce it, and for that he will never forget what you have done for him.

Safety, respect, and fear of consequence.

Sounds like you're molding a fine young man who has a spectacular uncle.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Starting with safety first is the best, but personally, I'd shy away from scare tactics.

No reason that knowledge & reason can't be the approach rather than fear.

Pointing out the serious consequences of negligence and letting that sink in a bit, along with some of the ramifications should be enough.

Fear is the path to the dark side.
    yoda.gif

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    What jkwparrot and Enkrypter said.

Keep stressing the safety and reward him accordingly. You could start with the 22 rifle and use the CO2 for introduction to pistols in general or start with the CO2 and go from there. I think either would be good.

I happened to have both a CO2 pistol and a pellet rifle on hand and I started my son on them before we got to the single shot bolt action .22lr. I mainly did it that way so we could start at home with the pellet guns and he wouldn't have distractions from the noises and other shooters at the range.

We used a variety of targets, balloons, water bottles, charcoal briquettes etc. to keep it interesting. To teach him about the potential for damage I took an old phone book along and had him feel it and tell me if he thought it was tougher than his skin. Then I had him shoot it just once and showed him the results. I didn't try to scare him with it or anything, I just showed it to him and explained the small hole from the entry and the larger hold on the exit side etc. I think it made the point fairly well.

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Make sure to teach HIM how to properly clear and check a firearm, not just do it for him. This is important for anytime he comes across a gun that is not with a responsible adult.

My dad taught me by shooting a 12 gauge at a milk jug and saying that once the trigger is pulled, the bullet doesn't know friend or enemy; it only knows what is in front of it, and it can't be taken back.

Also steel spinners can be fan without destruction plus they can be reused for a long time. They're a lot of fun. Just don't forget the eyes and ears.

indymeh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I started on a 10-22, was easy to use and handle. Less intimidating too IMHO. Bought one and still own it to this day. I would think a 22 pistol would be the next logical progression but I am no expert here.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    Here's my method

My nephew showed interest in firearms this past year (He is 12, has no formal training besided call of duty!) I made him memorize the 4 laws of gun safety.. I quizzed him throughout the day. I also made him understand WHY those laws are so important. We drilled with airsoft guns about trigger safety and muzzle presence. He took to it very well. We then went over how the firearm actually operates, the mechanicals, chemicals, combustables, and projectiles.. We then went to the range and I watched over him and he did excellent.. A few slipups with the trigger finger (not ON the trigger, but in the guard).. This took 1 day and he has learned lessons for a lifetime. At the end of that one day I was able to trust him with our guns (supervised of course) and let him fondle and learn their controls on his own.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Stress safety, safety, safety. Safe gun handling. Serious respect for firearms. My dad made it very clear to me from Day 1, obey the rules or lose your gun privileges.

Most of the manuals I have that came with my guns have some variant of the 10 Commandments of Firearms Safety. Might print them out and give them to him, but nothing is a stronger teacher than example.

You will find several variations of these safety rules. I like the ones that contain the rule, "never point a firearm at something you do not intend to shoot". I found these on the Georgia Wildlife website:

One: Control the direction of the firearm’s muzzle. Keep the safety on and fingers off the trigger at all times until ready to shoot.

Two: Identify the target and what is beyond it before shooting. Know the identifying features of the game hunted and be absolutely certain that what you are aiming at is that game.

Three: Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.

Four: Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions and that only the proper size ammunition is used in the firearm.

Five: Always unload a firearm when it is not in use, leave the actions open, and carry empty firearms in a case to and from shooting areas.

Six: Never aim a firearm at anything that you do not intend to shoot. Avoid all horseplay with a firearm.

Seven: Never climb a tree or fence, or jump a ditch or log, with a loaded firearm. Never pull a firearm towards you by the muzzle.

Eight: Never shoot a bullet at a flat, hard surface or at water. Make sure backstops are adequate during target practice.

Nine: Store firearms and ammunition separately and beyond the reach of children and careless adults.

Ten: Avoid all alcoholic beverages and drugs before and during shooting.

96projectz24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Another one for safety first...always keep the booger hook off the bang switch! I like the pellet gun idea as well, but a decent .22 is always good to learn on.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Teach him the basic safety rules:
    Top 10 Gun Safety Rules

10. Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. Such as at a hippy or a commie.
    9. Dumb children may get a hold of your guns and shoot each other. If your children are dumb, put them up for adoption to protect your guns.
    8. No matter how responsible he seems. Never give your gun to a monkey.
    7. If guns make you nervouse. Drink a bottle of whiskey before heading to the range.
    6. When unholstering your weapon. It's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out"
    5. Don't load your gun unless you are ready to shoot something or are just feeling angry.
    4. If your gun misfires, never look down the barrel. Have someone else do it for you.
    3. Never use your gun to pistol whip someone. It could mar the finish.
    2. No matter how excited you are about buying your first gun. Never run around yelling "I HAVE A GUN. I HAVE A GUN."
    1. And the most important rule of gun safety. DON'T MAKE ME MAD!

Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    There is nothing I can add to what has already been said. All of it is very sound advice. I basically went down the same road 30 years ago with my son and now I can enjoy his love and respect for firearms. However, my journey is not over as I am starting down the road again with my 9 year old grandson. Enjoy, as this will be one of the most rewarding times of your life....

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have a very strong feeling that you are going to turn him into a firearm enthusiast very quickly and make his mom a little upset that her son loves enjoying guns responsibly.
    I wouldn't have him shoot small targets the first time he is shooting, like cans. They can be hard to hit for beginners and he might get disappointed if he can't hit them.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    You're doing well,OP.

Your comment on shooting an apple and such brought back a memory....

The first time I was out with a shotgun my buddy had me pump a round into a fence post to illustrate the damage it was capable of at close range.... then he said "That's why you need to make sure you always know where you are pointing that muzzle."

Keep up the good work.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lots of good advice here guys and I'm grateful for it. I'll make sure the targets are pretty big enough for him not to miss easily. As much as I'd love to try out some tannerite with him I have to leave him something to look forward to.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I think you will do FINE !!!!! Bolt action, or 10/22, it won't make any difference, just load one at a time... Might want to start out with the bolt, and then go to 10/22, then decide on how many in the mag..... :twocents:

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    I remember as a young lad my dad only let me carry my .410 and no shells for about 2 years....taught me the importance of safety and taught me great habits that made me more responsible as I grew up

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Truthfully, funny story.

Both my little brothers have been big into guns since I got into them. The first time I let them come shooting with me, we started out on the little .22. No recoil, not loud, they were having fun. I sat down with them and explained they have to respect the firearm and they both sort of shrugged it off. That kinda pissed me off. So I ran to the truck and grabbed my Mosin, and a few melons. Told them a cool story about how the russians used this, sat their little asses down, and let them shoot it. The recoil, the lack of melon after, and the shockwave kind of "beat respect into them."

They both now know how to fire said Mosin very well, and handle the recoil with no problem. It was a kind of, "I am your big brother, and you need to listen to me about this" scenario. Instead of arguing, I just showed them.

Edit: these were my little brothers, and I can't be held responsible for your actions should you choose to repeat mine.

Top Bottom