• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Heres the thing many moons ago my house was broken into and the only thing stolen that really bothered me was my marlin model 60. My first real rifle given to me by my step grandpa an old army ranger with a great heart. Someone who knew my family and our schedule very well waited until no one would be home and broke in the house and stole it back in 03. Later on coming near time to graduate a teacher of mine showed me a story that a former friend had written explaining how he planned to break into his "friends" house and how the explanation thereof was extremely close to mine and my familys description and entailed what he stole of which was pretty much a listing of what went missing from my house. This was felt to be hearsay and not enough to follow up on by the local pd. I know from talking to common friends that he had a 22 that didn't belong to him but no one ever claimed it and that his dad took everything when he got arrested later for armed robbery. He has since reformed started a family and is doing better as best I can tell. Do I take the chance on what is mostly hearsay and try to retrieve what is rightfully mine or let it be? As much as he committed a very personal and dubious act against me I do not want to cause any problems for him or his family. I don't know I feel like I am sitting on a concertina fence on this one.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Did you actually find the rifle or do you just think he has it?
    Who has possesion of the rifle if you do know where it is?
    Did you have the serial number of the rifle when it was stolen?
    I would not personaly attempt to go and take it back from anyone. If I saw it with my own two eyes and knew It's location I would call the police immediately.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Did you actually find the rifle or do you just think he has it?
    Who has possesion of the rifle if you do know where it is?
    Did you have the serial number of the rifle when it was stolen?

Mutual friend confirmed he is the one that broke in my house but will deny it if questioned by anyone that could get said person in trouble. If still in his possession and not destroyed said persons father has it locked in a safe. I do not have the serial number, at the time I was young and naive and didn't know any better to have my serial numbers it was my first gun like I said.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Sorry to hear that.
    I wouldn't mess with it if I was you. You could be charged for trespassing, burglary, intimidation Etc. depending on how you acted. If the father has a gun safe he is obviously armed.
    You cannot prove ownership, so even if you could gain access to the rifle he could just say it is his Mod. 60
    It goes on and on, but nothing good can come of you attempting to retrieve your property. The only thing I would possibly say, depending on the people you are dealing with. Would be cantact the father (or ex-freind), explain the story and that the rifle is sentimental to you. Then ask him if you could just close your eyes and the rifle show up, no questions asked.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Sorry to hear that.
    I wouldn't mess with it if I was you. You could be charged for trespassing, burglary, theft Etc. depending on how you acted. If the father has a gun safe he is obviously armed.
    You cannot prove ownership, so even if you could gain access to the rifle he could just say it is his Mod. 60
    It goes on and on but nothing good can come of you attempting to retrieve your property. The only thing I would possibly say, depending on the people you are dealing with. Would be cantact the father (or ex-freind), explain the story and that the rifle is sentimental to you. Then ask him if you could just close your eyes and the rifle show up no questions asked.

Said parents are extremely religious people and would probably be appalled that I hadn't come forward earlier, but as I mentioned before I don't want to re-open and pour salt in an old wound as they were extremely hurt when their altar boy got nailed for holding a loaded shotgun on a cashiers head. On the other hand, it is my property I have a right to it and as mentioned has sentimental value. The ex friend on the other hand has little to no morals that I can tell and I really have no interest in speaking to him.

so as I said here I sit on this concertina wire.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Sorry to hear that.
    I wouldn't mess with it if I was you. You could be charged for trespassing, burglary, intimidation Etc. depending on how you acted. If the father has a gun safe he is obviously armed.
    It goes on and on, but nothing good can come of you attempting to retrieve your property. The only thing I would possibly say, depending on the people you are dealing with. Would be cantact the father (or ex-freind), explain the story and that the rifle is sentimental to you. Then ask him if you could just close your eyes and the rifle show up, no questions asked.

+1 man, that's the best way to deal with it

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, if he is truly reformed and looking to turn over a new leaf, if wouldn't hurt at all to go and ask him if he was the one who stole it. If he was he needs to make restitution to you and get you your gun back, if it's in his dad's safe. It's an opportunity for you to get what's yours and an opportunity for him to clear his conscience if he was the perpetrator.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I would no dought talk to the parents, mabey take a family member if they can couch for the rifle.
    Describe the rifle to his dad and let him know what happened. Let him know you believe he may now be in possesion of your rifle, that it means alot to you and you would like to have it back.
    I think it is your best shot and I see no reason to try and cover for a crook. I wouldn't give the rifle up to someone to cover up for an ex-freind with no morals.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Heres the thing many moons ago my house was broken into and the only thing stolen that really bothered me was my marlin model 60.
    -Snip-
    Do I take the chance on what is mostly hearsay and try to retrieve what is rightfully mine or let it be? As much as he committed a very personal and dubious act against me I do not want to cause any problems for him or his family. I don't know I feel like I am sitting on a concertina fence on this one.

If this man has truly repented, and this is your rifle, when you speak to him about this, he should return it to you along with asking for your forgiveness.

If he tells you to go pound sand, he hasn't TRULY repented.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sorry to hear that.

Yes talk to the parent(s), explain the value. Also tell them that you do not want to involve the son as you are not attempting to stir things up again but would appreciate the return of your rifle. Perhaps if they see you are sincere in not wanting to disrupt the sons life they will do the right thing.

Good Luck!

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Mutual friend confirmed he is the one that broke in my house but will deny it if questioned by anyone that could get said person in trouble.

That person doesn't sound like much of a friend. I know in my book, when a friend of mine plays another friend of mine dirty, he is no longer friends with me. Especially talking about breaking into your home. I feel specially close to this story because it had happened to me. A friend of mine had broken into my place and stolen a S&W 5906, his wife knew but never told me. His wife was my partner in the ambulance when I was a paramedic in Chicago. I had a feeling it was her husband but never had the proof, until one day her niece let out some information about it. My ex partner knew, and after that, our relationship has never been the same.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Did you know him prior? I would call him up and see how he's doing, or call his father up and explain the situation. If no is the worst case answer, then no is your answer. Just be honest, calm, respectful, and explain the story.

Explain how you respect the change in his sons/his life and just want this special rifle back

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Talk to him and his parents, explain to them why that gun is special to you, reassure them you are not looking to get anyone in more trouble and that you just want the rifle back.

Good luck to you.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Since you don't have the serial number recorded and don't have proof as to where the gun resides, I'd say you are SOL. I'd chalk it up to a lesson learned (cheaper than some) and move on with my life.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If this man has truly repented, and this is your rifle, when you speak to him about this, he should return it to you along with asking for your forgiveness.

If he tells you to go pound sand, he hasn't TRULY repented.
    Or, he may not have been the thief. That's always a possibility.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry to hear that.

:+1: Very well said. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If the guy really has reformed and wants to turn his life around I'd give him a call and just ask him if he has the rifle. You can say that you heard through the grapevine that he stole it and that it has sentimental value to you and you simply want it back. It may give him the opportunity to clear his conscious of one more thing and you might get your property back. In the very least he'll know that you know he took it and that may change his mind.:twocents:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Since you don't have the serial number recorded and don't have proof as to where the gun resides, I'd say you are SOL. I'd chalk it up to a lesson learned (cheaper than some) and move on with my life.

I can give you the address, time of day they can be contacted and the location of the safe. I can provide you with vin number as I can easily get it. and license plate of the getaway vehicle although when they conveniently parked it on the side of the road the numbers on the plate were covered up so the neighbors can't verify it. A lot of criminals have been nailed for recounting their tale in the same form that this ex friend did, also let us remember this person although walks the straight and narrow has absolutely no values or morals in my eyes and talking to him would be about as useful as talking to a brick wall. I was extremely tight with this person I thought of as a friend. I want to address this issue reasonably with his parents and just honestly don't know how to address it. I don't care if they tell me to go pound sand at least then I have a resolution.

Let me be clear on this, the thief has no access to said rifle or knowledge of where it may be since he committed and was convicted of armed robbery.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Um, yeah, call the parents and explain the situation.

Tell them you learned some new information and would like you property returned.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain for trying.

Ex-friend? Are you really worried about offending a convicted armed robber?
    Offending the parents? Their kid is a felon, he is the one that did the offending.

What happens if they are offended anyhow?
    Zip, zero, nada.
    You don't have a relationship with the ex friend or them so you are not out anyhow.

It was your family that provided you with the rifle, your heritage that was taken.
    Someone else willingly took that from you.

Yes, I would recommend you make an attempt to regain what is rightfully yours.

Top Bottom