• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Although Im not a fan of the idea, I think Jeff Bridges will do a good job, but my question is why this movie? True Grit wasnt even close to one of his best movies

dew409

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Northeast, Dekalb Co.
    I can't believe the movie industry is completely out of original ideas. I have already watched it, with a legend in it. What's the point. Another one I won't pay 8.50 to see. JMHO.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm against it, but some remakes have done well. I will see it when it comes out and wait to judge until then.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Tend to agree with the OP, but I'll trust in the cast to do a good job. Can't say whether I'll see in in the theater or not, but probably on DVD if not.

I do agree that Hollywood seems to want to do remakes all too much!

Of course, some remakes of some of the Duke's best would not really be a bad thing. How about a remake of the Cavalry Trilogy?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

AXE835

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    East central Indiana
    I'm 40 years old but I remember watching ALL of the Duke's:patriot: movies with my Dad when I was growing up:popcorn:(every time they came on). No remake will EVER be right or even be close to being good enough!!! :noway:What the hell is Hollyweard thinking??:twocents:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    After seeing (not) the GARBAGE that has been offered to us for the last few years, re-makes are all they have. The block busters of the last decade are as dead as the Duke. If a movie cant be made that is two hours of special effects or T&A, Hollywood cant produce it. We are forced to watch as more films from the past become classics because of the poor quality on the big screen today.:twocents:

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    After seeing (not) the GARBAGE that has been offered to us for the last few years, re-makes are all they have. The block busters of the last decade are as dead as the Duke. If a movie cant be made that is two hours of special effects or T&A, Hollywood cant produce it. We are forced to watch as more films from the past become classics because of the poor quality on the big screen today.:twocents:

I don't know that I'd call all of the movies of the last 10 years or so "garbage." There have been quite a few that I have enjoyed, with or without special effects or T&A. (Actually, I'm kind of fond of T&A. :))

Some films from the last 10 years that weren't garbage (IMO):

Avatar (Story line was old, might not like the politics, but the sci-fi aspect was awesome. I saw it in IMAX, which was even more awesomer)
    Star Trek (Really enjoyed the new actors and the inclusion of old Spock)
    The Dark Knight (Christian Bale is good as Batman, and Heath Ledger was awesome as the Joker)
    Gran Torino (Get off my lawn!)
    3:10 to Yuma (Haven't seen the original, but enjoyed this one)
    Hitch (I like JLo. So sue me. :D)
    Man on Fire
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Open Range (LOVE this movie, even though Kevin Costner is in it :):)
    Goldmember (Yeah, baby!)
    The Bourne movies
    We Were Soldiers
    Blackhawk Down
    Training Day
    Enemy at the Gates
    Gladiator
    The Patriot
    Remember the Titans

Anyway, I'll probably go see True Grit. I'll have to watch the original first, I guess. I've never seen it. As a matter of fact....and I don't know if I should admit this on this particular forum....but I've never seen a John Wayne movie. Seriously! Never got into westerns when I was growing up, I was more of a science fiction, comedy or cop movie type of guy. (Star Wars, Revenge of the Nerds, Dirty Harry, etc.) I do vaguely remember seeing the spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood. I've really enjoyed the few newer westerns that I've seen, but never got around to watching the old ones. Guess I have some catching up to do! :)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Got to admit I like a few of the movies listed above.

Gran torino
    Star Trek
    The Dark Knight

Got to add a few:
    American Beauty
    PAy it forward
    The Watchmen

It is a small list granted. Heck american and pat it may be over 10 years now,.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    The simple truth is that most people from 16-30 don't really know who John Wayne was and have never seen the movie. It's a good story and those watching the new version won't be comparing it to the original, just seeing it for the first time.

I really used to feel that all the remakes were a terrible idea and felt it was classless to remake a classic (like True Grit). But now I have 3 kids that are all approaching 30 and I understand better their viewpoint.

Remaking it doesn't take away from the original or John Wayne's performance. It just brings the story to a new audience.

Top Bottom