• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Well today at the range I messed up. Was out shooting with some family and started to pack stuff up, grabbed my Walther P22 of the shooting bench WITHOUT checking it, went to put it away, let the hammer drop and bam, shot it thru the case, thru another padded case and on down the range, thank god nobody was hurt, nothing was damaged other than my ego and the day went on, but man I feel like an idiot... Remember boys and girls be safe, remember the rules and don't **** up like I did

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm glad no one was hurt. It sounds like you learned a very important lesson.

Perhaps your story will convince others to learn the easy way, and not through such an experience. :yesway:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Rule #1. Guns are always loaded. I like to take mine before I pack up for the day, shoot all my remaining magazine, double check it, then put it away. Glad you learned the hard way without anyone being injured.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I hope people do learn, thats precisely why I posted this story, this was the first time and hopefully only time this ever happens to me, scared the crap outta me

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Glad you shared. It's easy to get complacent. Good reminder for everyone. Don't beat yourself down about it because I bet you check them closer than you ever have from here on out.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    My father had the best rule I know of , open the action.
    Before he would put a gun away,hand it to someone or as soon as he picked it up or took it out of the safe he would open the action and check it.
    He would also demand this of anyone handing him a firearm.
    He was in the gun business 25 years and a gun never went off while he was holding it, unless he intended it to.

chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    It takes a lot of guts to admit that in a public forum such as this. For that I commend you sir.

This situation is all too common and it is easy to become complacent.

Now go write the four safety rules 100 times on the blackboard and you will be absolved of your sins. :)

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    It is good to hear these type of posts, makes you realize how simple a discharge can happen without any intention. Safety, safety, safety....ALL guns are loaded!

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Familiarity breeds confidence and complacency. Add to that, the distraction of packing gear to go home=potential for mishap. Could have happened to anyone, glad noone was hurt. Good learning opportunity; we must be ever vigilant. Thanks for sharing...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Shot your gun cases - did you? One Shot, Two Kills. Impressive!

Glad to see nobody hurt (besides the cases and your pride). And yes, we can all learn here from others mistakes but...

Posting a ND on the internet can cost you some grief (and bacon). If you don't believe me, just wait and see what happens next....Oh Boy, Your gonna get it now.

So really - You ****ed Up Twice Today. Nice. :)

I do appreciate the lesson learned here- I'm just relieved it's not my thread.

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    Why? do YOU think less of him for owning up to a mistake so others may learn from it?
    not at all , its all the asshats on here that generally belittle people for lack of knowledge or wrong doing , not because me made a mistake ....just search a few threads and you will see what i am talking about

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Good thing it wasn't a .45. I appreciate the reminder.
    I had a mis-fire yesterday with the muzzleloader. It took me about two minutes to figure out how to put it down while keeping it pointing in a safe direction.

Top Bottom