• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    That's entirely false. I wholeheartedly support the legal right of a parent to homeschool their children. I simply don't like the practice.

My wife was a public school teacher for many years including Los Angeles and Indianapolis school districts. We homeschool our children because public schools no longer educate. I would highly recommend you read The Underground History of American Education: A School Teacher's Intimate Investigation Into the Problem of Modern Schooling.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Trivial to whom?
    Who has the right to decide what a child should learn the state or the parent?
    As a parent I would not consider it trivial.

If we're allowing Germans asylum due to a prohibition against homeschooling, and fast tracking their green cards what is the reasoning behind NOT letting the multitudes upon multitudes of peoples that seek asylum due to legitimate concerns for their safety? Hell, we might as well open the door to most of South and Central America. So yes, in comparison, a homeschooling tiff involving a German family... quite trivial.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My wife was a public school teacher for many years including Los Angeles and Indianapolis school districts. We homeschool our children because public schools no longer educate. I would highly recommend you read The Underground History of American Education: A School Teacher's Intimate Investigation Into the Problem of Modern Schooling.

I will freely admit that my opinion of homeschooling has no basis in personal experience. I just have happened to have met a number who were odd.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I will freely admit that my opinion of homeschooling has no basis in personal experience. I just have happened to have met a number who were odd.

I homeschool. My kids are in a Co-op. I know a lot of home schoolers. Many are odd.

Here's the stunner- a whole lot of kids that go to every school are odd.

Variety is the spice of life.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If we're allowing Germans asylum due to a prohibition against homeschooling, and fast tracking their green cards what is the reasoning behind NOT letting the multitudes upon multitudes of peoples that seek asylum due to legitimate concerns for their safety? Hell, we might as well open the door to most of South and Central America. So yes, in comparison, a homeschooling tiff involving a German family... quite trivial.

Central and South Americans have to stay in their countries to fight for their own freedoms. German home schoolers don't.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I homeschool. My kids are in a Co-op. I know a lot of home schoolers. Many are odd.

Here's the stunner- a whole lot of kids that go to every school are odd.

Variety is the spice of life.

Well I think you're grounded, so you may be the exception, lol

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One thing I will say about many (certainly not all) home schoolers is that they are a panicky and "the sky is falling" group (sounds like another group I am loosely associated with).

You ought to see what the rules are like when there's a potluck. A peanut allergy is the smallest issue.

Anyhoo, the vast majority of home schoolers I know work very hard to make sure the education their kids get is thorough. A very few are lazy and just don't want to deal with schools, but that is a very very small minority.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hornadynlnl, you lost me here. Can somebody enlighten me?

That's the usual refrain given by those who support a particular law to those who oppose it. Don't like it, work to change and abide by it in the meantime. But when it affects a group that they identify with, we should give them asylum.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's the usual refrain given by those who support a particular law to those who oppose it. Don't like it, work to change and abide by it in the meantime. But when it affects a group that they identify with, we should give them asylum.

First, let me make clear that I was never a homeschooler who saw this as the biggest issue in the world.

HOWEVER, this issue is not one where the standards that underlie whether asylum is granted or not are crystal clear and beyond debate. rather, the State Dept. has a great deal of discretion. I don't know that ANYONE was advocating ignoring clear law, rather they were urging that discretion, allowed in the law, be exercised to protect a right to determine one's own child's education. The disturbing issue to many home schoolers was that the State Dept. refused to recognize that parents had a fundamental right to decide how their children are educated, including, whether to home school.

They were, in fact, following the law by working through the court system. Did someone secrete the family away and hide them so they would not be deported?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    For the love of all that's holy, Kut, we've been over this a thousand times. It's not about the homeschooling issue. It's about the fact that the U.S. had already granted them the asylum and then reneged.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It's absurd that you think people had more freedoms in 1814 than 2014, anywhere in the United States; not just Indiana.

Ok, let me go shoot a deer, with a 9mm 10.5" barrel rifle I just bought from my brother today, with my friend's borrowed suppressor, for dinner. No license. I'll only need half so I'll go downtown, set up a stand and sell it to people. I'll spit on the ground and smoke in the inn shouting profanity on my breaks. I'll hire 8yo neighbor for three pennies to work 10 hours helping me. BRB.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok, let me go shoot a deer, with a 9mm 10.5" barrel rifle I just bought from my brother today, with my friend's borrowed suppressor, for dinner. No license. I'll only need half so I'll go downtown, set up a stand and sell it to people. I'll spit on the ground and smoke in the inn shouting profanity on my breaks. I'll hire 8yo neighbor for three pennies to work 10 hours helping me. BRB.

If you, personally, lived in 1814, you could do that?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    First, let me make clear that I was never a homeschooler who saw this as the biggest issue in the world.

HOWEVER, this issue is not one where the standards that underlie whether asylum is granted or not are crystal clear and beyond debate. rather, the State Dept. has a great deal of discretion. I don't know that ANYONE was advocating ignoring clear law, rather they were urging that discretion, allowed in the law, be exercised to protect a right to determine one's own child's education. The disturbing issue to many home schoolers was that the State Dept. refused to recognize that parents had a fundamental right to decide how their children are educated, including, whether to home school.

They were, in fact, following the law by working through the court system. Did someone secrete the family away and hide them so they would not be deported?

In another thread, it's being argued that rights don't apply to non citizens. Was this German family granted citizenship? If not, they don't have a fundamental right to decide how their children are educated, correct?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In another thread, it's being argued that rights don't apply to non citizens. Was this German family granted citizenship? If not, they don't have a fundamental right to decide how their children are educated, correct?

I'm not going down a road that I was never on.

What I will say is this- obviously decisions on asylum apply to non-citizens.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If Americans don't like the drug laws, they should comply while working to change the laws.
    Funny enough, that's exactly the argument Kut has made with regard to the Romeikes and German homeschooling law to justify the change in their asylum status and the attempt to deport them. His idea of universal rights doesn't seem to extend outside the U.S. either.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Funny enough, that's exactly the argument Kut has made with regard to the Romeikes and German homeschooling law to justify the change in their asylum status and the attempt to deport them. His idea of universal rights doesn't seem to extend outside the U.S. either.

Refresh my memory as I didn't follow this case all that closely but didn't they come here legally, presumably filling out the proper paper work and jumping through the necessary bureaucratic hoops? How many of the folks pouring over our southern borders did that?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I've actually said that, without any reservations, earlier. I don't belief a "higher power," endows people with rights. "Rights," unfortunately originate with men. The most we can hope for is that just men execute them.

Top Bottom