I can't believe my son just did that! Need advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I think you handled it very well. My sons learned to shoot at an early age, and they saw what damage a bullet can do. They were around guns all their lives, infact, I had tables at a gunshow quite often when I lived in ILL. and they went with me. When I aquired a new gun I would let them look at it, hold it and I explained what it was, so there was no mystery there. Now at ages 22 and 20 they have there own guns and practice gun safety all the time.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Yep, this was a serious breach of safety rules.

I would make sure he "gets" it. I'm not even sure punishment is in order. You put it out there that this was wrong. Some kids only need one "talking to" and that's it.

OTOH, some kids need to be reminded, and gun safety is no joke. You know him best, do what's in your heart.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Have you been taking him to the range? If so, don't take him next time and let him know that it's because of his "maturity fail" and that you will take him again after that - so long as he has restored your faith in his maturity.

Tie gun time to gun safety and make clear that there is never a joke when it comes to gun safety.

:+1:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Sounds like you are a great parent but I have one suggestion (you might already do this). My daughter (the son is to young yet) knows that she MAY NOT touch a gun without my permission. She also knows that nearly ANY time she want I will be happy to show her ANY gun she wants to see. This takes the mystery out of it. She is only four but if she asks and it's not impossible I will happily make the time to show her and answer all questions.

Just a humble suggestion you may already do. It's funny. only one or two times have I caught her gently touching a gun I had in pieces on the end table and she got a stern lecture and reassurance that any time she wants we can have fun together by looking at it and learning about it. Kudos for being a good Dad!

Z
    We practice this and generally I think it works pretty well.

juggaloxjj4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    The idea of writting a report on gun safty is i think a great idea because when i was in the second grade i had recived a little pocket knife from my dad and it somehow found its way in my lunch box at school. I didnt brandish or show it off i was just going to hide it and take it out when i got home but someone saw it and decided to tell a teacher. The police were called and i got in trouble and part of my punishment was that i had to write a report to my principal about what the dangers of my action were and you best belive that i doubble checked my lunch box the rest of the year.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think your instincts are right. I don't think spanking would be necessary unless you needed to get his attention but it sounds like you have it. I like the report idea.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Nicely done

I just deleted a fairly long post commenting on responses to the event by the OP and others here. I decided instead to take a different approach. This may not win me any awards here but.......... I believe in carrying if you want to, and I do carry, but I think you've presented a valid argument against open carry.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I just deleted a fairly long post commenting on responses to the event by the OP and others here. I decided instead to take a different approach. This may not win me any awards here but.......... I believe in carrying if you want to, and I do carry, but I think you've presented a valid argument against open carry.
    You've been here long enough to know the can of worms you're opening......:D
    That's why you carry in a retention holster.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    So no one is for putting one in his knee cap... what a bunch of softies. I would have probably just told him to stop being a dumbass and not worry about it unless it occurred again.

Top Bottom