I am so glad you can not carry in IndyParks!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Just to know that they are safe from all harm... :rolleyes:

Man Attacked Along Monon Trail
    By Fox59.com Fox59.com
    July 31, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - Two teens are in custody in connection with a strong arm robbery Friday afternoon along the Monon Trail. Indianapolis Metro Police say a 62-year-old man was riding his bike along the trail near 54th Street when he was allegedly attacked by the two teens.

Investigators say 19-year-old Gregory Bloodworth and a 17-year-old were able to get away with the man's cell phone, a small amount of cash, and a debit card.

Several witnesses called police and officers were able to nab the pair in the 5200 block of Crestview. Bloodworth and the teen are both facing numerous charges.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Can any of you Indy residents map out where crimes occur in the city? I'm curious if more crimes occur along the bike/jogging paths and park areas than in other parts of the city. Most cities have 'hot spots' of crime. Often the hot spots are localized neighborhoods where gang activity occurs, but outside of those areas there are typically some additional hot spots and it seems like there are a reasonable number of posts here on INGO regarding the INDY PARKS.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Must have been a couple of disadvantaged youths cast aside by society, living in poverty conditions in a one parent home, the taxpayer should pay for counseling, better living conditions and then they will become more productive members of society. Really, it's all our fault. Any clue as to the ethnicity of the victim and the "alleged" perpetrators?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Must have been a couple of disadvantaged youths cast aside by society, living in poverty conditions in a one parent home, the taxpayer should pay for counseling, better living conditions and then they will become more productive members of society. Really, it's all our fault. Any clue as to the ethnicity of the victim and the "alleged" perpetrators?

I don't think they listed the ethniticity of the victim, but the 2 robbers were african american.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Nah, they just wanted their share of the Obama-bailout.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    So you cannot lawfully carry.

That stinks. Makes for hard choices. Not to mention, it is just stupid. Hope the senior citizens are doing ok.

You said what I have already "thought". ;) For the most part I try to stay away from Indy Parks properties. I did go to Garfield Park last weekend with the kids. I'd forgotten how pretty that park is!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    You said what I have already "thought". ;) For the most part I try to stay away from Indy Parks properties. I did go to Garfield Park last weekend with the kids. I'd forgotten how pretty that park is!

I get to stand in the door of my shop and look at Garfield Park every day.
    As far as Indy Parks, Christian Park is within walking distance from our home, my son enjoys going down and playing, I prefer to not be unarmed. :dunno:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Can any of you Indy residents map out where crimes occur in the city? I'm curious if more crimes occur along the bike/jogging paths and park areas than in other parts of the city. Most cities have 'hot spots' of crime. Often the hot spots are localized neighborhoods where gang activity occurs, but outside of those areas there are typically some additional hot spots and it seems like there are a reasonable number of posts here on INGO regarding the INDY PARKS.

I don't know how to link but if you go to Indystar.com you can see a map of 08 shootings . Most of them are on the east side , not so much in the parks .

As far as parks go , generally on the Monon around Broad Ripple is where most of the crime in a "park" takes place . Not saying there's a correlation but it happens to be surrounded by ghetto .

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Monon Mugging Makes Me Mad!

OK Folks, the gloves are off!

I know this has been discussed before many times, but how often does it have to happen! Why is there not outrage that a 62 year old gets the snot smacked out of him in broad daylight in a supposedly safe area?

Link: Monon Trail safe despite latest mugging, police say | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

I'm 52, and have ridden the trail from 146th street down to Broad Ripple many times. My work is flexible which has allowed me to make that trip in mid-morning. Down to BR, get a cup of joe, and cycle back. Many times I have seen younger teens on the trail (during school hours as well) doing who-knows-what. Occasionally, I get that sense that I'm being sized up for something. Maybe it's just being a little paranoid or overly cautious but who knows? Since last year I've been carrying in a little fanny pack. First a .38 snubbie and lately a new .380 LCP.

Funny thing is my wife says I shouldn't ride if I thiink I need to carry. Now with this latest mugging she thinks I shouldn't ride at all, especially alone.

I'm not looking for trouble, but I could see someone knocking me off the bike just like this latest event. Hopefully, I would be able to recover enough to "clear leather" . If I could, what next? Get these punks to lay down while I or someone else calls 911? I seriously would not want to shoot some kid that just thought I would be an easy mark. But if I still felt threatened I believe I would shoot. :dunno:

What would the 2nd page headline be..."Teen Shot By Disgruntled Old White Guy" ?

Anyone else feel that way?

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    its ridiculous how bad indy is getting. and i dont blame you one bit; i would carry for sure on the monon if that was my thing. my wife was going to go walking with a (female) friend just last weekend and i implored her to at least take the beretta 21a, if not my sigma 9mm. luckily she ended up not going.

if thugs will attack an older guy, what would they do to 2 women?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Isn't the Monon Trail owned by the parks dept., making it a "victimization zone"? Oops, I guess I mean a "gun free zone"? Seems like the Monon Trail should just be avoided altogether. Good job Mayor (and city council). You have managed to turn another section of Indianapolis into a place where no law-abiding person will go. Have you learned nothing from the example that Chicago has set?

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Go back to the legal requirements for a self defense shooting.

If you had a reasonable fear that the assailants were going to kill or seriously injure you, you would be justified in using deadly force. Otherwise you would have some 'splaining to do, and IMO not worth the legal hassle of pulling a gun except when gravely threatened anyhow.

I don't think there's much practical distinction between "clearing leather" and shooting. You are talking about deploying deadly force. If the situation justifes deadly force, then draw and shoot if you have to. If the situation does not justify deadly force, then keep the gun in your fanny pack.

I wouldn't personally ever draw a gun with the plan of holding assailants for arrest. If I ever draw a gun, it will be because I think I am in immediate danger of someone trying to kill me or seriously injure me. Trying to detain or arrest someone is a job for the pros. Waving a gun at a criminal to try and make them obey me is not a scenario I want any part of.

Dashman010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Downtown, Indy
    Does anybody know if carrying a weapon in a park is a misdemeanor or simply a civil infraction? I have rolled around the Marion County Ordinance website, and it appears that if you got caught, you would only be subject to a fine. There is no provision that I can find where you could be incarcerated, your firearm taken away, etc. It looks like it's a speeding ticket, basically. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom