• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I get what he's saying, and agree with most if it, but I don't think he fully understands the "sheepdog" mentality that Grossman describes in "Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs". A sheepdog doesn't have to be a "hero", he just has to have a higher level of self-awareness than the sheep.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I think he makes some very valid points.
    Many boast that they would rush in all John Wayne and take out a shooter with one bullet, bit the truth is most of the time you would have to take time to find out exactly what is going on. How would you know if a shooter was THE shooter and not an off-duty cop rushing to see what was happening? Or another citizen like yourself? I suppose if you saw a guy gunning down citizens then that question might be answered. But then comes a question of tactics. Do I rush in and engage? Snipe from cover? Try to go for the kill or pin him down if he is heavily armed and I have nothing but a handgun? Is he wearing a vest? Can I make a head shot or a good money shot on legs or pelvis if he is? How bad am I shaking from fear or adrenalin? What's beyond my target if I miss? People hiding in doorways beyond him? Windows that my bullets might go through? Is there even cover for me available any where around?
    Target ranges don't prepare us for these things.
    Like the writer I've wondered this too. Every situation is different. I would like to think I would take a shooter on but I'm sure all these questions would flash through my mind. They likely would make me pause. And in that moment, I've wondered, what if he saw me at the same time and he swung his muzzle toward me?...

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I get what he's saying, and agree with most if it, but I don't think he fully understands the "sheepdog" mentality that Grossman describes in "Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs". A sheepdog doesn't have to be a "hero", he just has to have a higher level of self-awareness than the sheep.

I agree with your statement about the sheepdog.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I certainly don't want to turn this into an open carry / concealed carry thread, but in the comments section one responder posted a link to a story out of Richmond that illustrates why I choose not to open carry myself.

Teen suspects have criminal histories

This^^^ A large percentage of criminals could care less if someone is armed or not. They could care less about their own life so how can one think they would care about yours.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Introverted sheepdog? :):

Sounds like he's added some extra parts to the old analogy just to be able to personally refute them. Heroism was never really a component of the original distinctions that I recall. Capacity for violence and motive were.

I certainly don't want to turn this into an open carry / concealed carry thread, but in the comments section one responder posted a link to a story out of Richmond that illustrates why I choose not to open carry myself.

Teen suspects have criminal histories

But if you did want to discuss OC/CC reasoning, it would be more appropriate in a thread devoted to that topic ;) : https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

It's full of odd flukes like that linked incident as well as more common reasons and opinions.

This^^^ A large percentage of criminals could care less if someone is armed or not. They could care less about their own life so how can one think they would care about yours.

Nonsense. Most criminals will avoid armed citizens - more so than they avoid law enforcement officers.
    Nearly all have a very intact sense of self preservation (even if their values and judgement are skewed) yet nobody really thinks that this is based upon caring about someone else's life. It's just a narcissistic weighing of risk vs reward

archy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Oaktown/Vincennes ar

I'm no Groosman *sheepdog* either. Dogs run in packs, put all their sense of canine duty behind them when in pursuit of a female in season, And most yap all out of proportion to their bite. All too often, a rogue sheepdog develops a taste for sheep meat, and it's all too easy for him to blend in with the other sheep herding/ghuarding puppies.

Perhaps Theodore Roosevelt said it best, or is said to have done so, in the film The Wind and the Lion:

Theodore Roosevelt: The American grizzly is a symbol of the American character: strength, intelligence, ferocity. Maybe a little blind and reckless at times... but courageous beyond all doubt. And one other trait that goes with all previous.
    2nd Reporter: And that, Mr. President?
    Theodore Roosevelt: Loneliness. The American grizzly lives out his life alone. Indomitable, unconquered - but always alone. He has no real allies, only enemies, but none of them as great as he.
    2nd Reporter: And you feel this might be an American trait?
    Theodore Roosevelt: Certainly. The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us. But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity! And, we're a bit blind and reckless at times too.
    2nd Reporter: Are you perhaps referring to the situation in Morocco and the Panama Canal.
    Theodore Roosevelt: If you say so... The American grizzly embodies the spirit of America. He should be our symbol! Not that ridiculous eagle - he's nothing more than a dandified vulture. Dandified!

No thank you, Mr Grossman. The wolves, and the sheep, and the sheepdogs had best stay out of my way. I don't have much use use for most of you, and when you get right down to it, you'll all do as food in a pinch. And that includes Dr. Grossman as well.

species-spotlight-grizzly-bear-brown-mouth-open-black-nose-attacking-growling-biting-photo.jpeg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ol_dave_grossman_and_loren_w_christensen.html

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Dogs run in packs, put all their sense of canine duty behind them when in pursuit of a female in season, And most yap all out of proportion to their bite. All too often, a rogue sheepdog develops a taste for sheep meat, and it's all too easy for him to blend in with the other sheep herding/ghuarding puppies.

I think you're taking the analogy to a point it was never intended.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm no Groosman *sheepdog* either. Dogs run in packs, put all their sense of canine duty behind them when in pursuit of a female in season, And most yap all out of proportion to their bite. All too often, a rogue sheepdog develops a taste for sheep meat, and it's all too easy for him to blend in with the other sheep herding/ghuarding puppies.

Perhaps Theodore Roosevelt said it best, or is said to have done so, in the film The Wind and the Lion:

Theodore Roosevelt: The American grizzly is a symbol of the American character: strength, intelligence, ferocity. Maybe a little blind and reckless at times... but courageous beyond all doubt. And one other trait that goes with all previous.
    2nd Reporter: And that, Mr. President?
    Theodore Roosevelt: Loneliness. The American grizzly lives out his life alone. Indomitable, unconquered - but always alone. He has no real allies, only enemies, but none of them as great as he.
    2nd Reporter: And you feel this might be an American trait?
    Theodore Roosevelt: Certainly. The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us. But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity! And, we're a bit blind and reckless at times too.
    2nd Reporter: Are you perhaps referring to the situation in Morocco and the Panama Canal.
    Theodore Roosevelt: If you say so... The American grizzly embodies the spirit of America. He should be our symbol! Not that ridiculous eagle - he's nothing more than a dandified vulture. Dandified!

No thank you, Mr Grossman. The wolves, and the sheep, and the sheepdogs had best stay out of my way. I don't have much use use for most of you, and when you get right down to it, you'll all do as food in a pinch. And that includes Dr. Grossman as well.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ol_dave_grossman_and_loren_w_christensen.html

Don't start attacking Grossman that'll get you as far here as attacking Yeager. :dunno:

Top Bottom