• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    So I was wondering if anyone around here has any experience with have their pistols Hydro-Dipped or Duracoated. How has the finish held up?

Also, anyone here on the forum do these procedures? Thanks Nick

stockmaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Never tried hydro but duracoat is a tough finish. It is hard as a rock. I duracoat in my shop or would be happy to give you pointers if you want to do it yourself.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    hydro has to be done by a competent shop. Otherwise it gets too stretched and looks like crap. If its a do-it-yourself thing, go duracoat.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    I dont care if I have to send it in so much. Just dont want to do either of them if they dont hold up to well. I would honestly rather have a profession do it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fellow ingo member Sumphead did the duracoat on these two pieces for me. I am more than pleased. The Para was my EDC for many years and showed it. The Springer is a self built toy.

Karma-Racegun-Para012.jpg

Karma-Racegun-Para018.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My brother has one of his AR lowers duracoated. Has held up very well still looks like it was just done and its been on there for well over a year.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Hydrodipping is the same as Duracoat in the way in which, it will only hold up as good as you prep the surface. I like Cerakote more than Duracoat. If you go with hydrodipping, use a Duracoat or something like that as a base (good base paint). You can get a lot better patterns with hydrodipping than you can with the best painter using any paint product. If you don't know how to do it, your hydrodipping will stretch as the pigments stretch while you dip your product (there is a method to keep it from doing that). To finish it, you use a good clearcoat, again, I like Cerakote for that. When done right, the hydrodipping will hold up for a very long time, especially if coated with a good clearcoat. It will of course not hold up as long as a straight Cerakote job, but it will sufice.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Duracoat make a clear finish to go over the water tansfers

Have used Duracoat on over 50 projects now and have no issues. The water transfer is a film that will wear through.

Duracoat is not dificult to use if you have the ability to completely disassemble your gun and prepare the surfaces properly. Duracoat now makes a clear finish to protect the water transfer finish.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In

Gunsmith79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    I am getting ready to do a few pieces of my ar in duracoat.... i wanted to use durabake wich they clame is a higher utility yield product (more durable) but the colors are limmited.... And Hoits the manufacturer keeps avoiding my questions on color choice...

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Another vote for Cerakote, it's quite a bit more durable than Duracoat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Z_Zv2ue-w

Cerakote commissioned a 3rd party testing firm to compare their finish to other popular finishes. They tested it a number of different ways including shock testing and abrasion testing (below). It out performed Duracoat in every test.

Screenshot2012-09-06at83904AM.png

toad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    northern MI
    I have duracoated a few firearms, it seems to hold up well, and its pretty easy to touch up, or change the color if need be. Any coating will wear, the bake on finishes may be a bit harder, but my wife wont let me use the oven to try it out.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I agree with a previous poster: go with sumphead on this forum. He uses Cerakote. He's reasonable. He's good. Any questions...call him :D

Top Bottom