• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Keep an eye on Amazon, I can power my entire house with AC and electric dryer running with this one, $899 last Prime Day (I bought a few).

Get a soft start on your a/c and your current one will likely run it, the 9500 super quiet predator ran my entire last house (but we had gas water heater and heat).
    Me too. I just never tried it. I have a small house and A/C just worried it may be too much

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Indy AES area has 55K customers without power, so based on the last outage of this size it'll be 4 days for some people.

Plan to take food to my daughter's house, I didn't stock up based on forecast so not much food in the fridge.

I'll spend the day at local coffee shop with my laptop catching up on some projects and evening listening to 3 audio books I haven't started yet.

Meals? I guess I have go into survival mode and go to a restaurant.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's my plan also, if ours goes out. When our power was out last April, I waited till the next morning to crank on the generator and both freezers and the fridge were fine.
    I can't remember what I paid for my cheap generator a dozen years ago or so, but it was on sale at one of the online clearance outfits, ahead of an east coast hurricane. Seemed like the time to buy.

That generator sat in the box for five years. Finally took it out of the box and gassed it up during an 18 hour outage. At 19 hours, the power came back on. :rolleyes:

Frozen meats were not thawed, but getting to be of concern after 19-20 hours here. Key is to keep the doors closed on a full fridge or freezer.

Filling all empty freezer and fridge space with water bottles keeps your running appliances from cycling so much. Keeps the contents cold longer when the appliance turns into a cooler in a power outage.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No damage or power outage at my house but as I sit here at 5 a.m., I can hear someone running a chainsaw somewhere back in the neighborhood behind me, so I have to assume it was critical for them. May take a drive through after it gets light and have a look around.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Indy AES area has 55K customers without power, so based on the last outage of this size it'll be 4 days for some people.

Plan to take food to my daughter's house, I didn't stock up based on forecast so not much food in the fridge.

I'll spend the day at local coffee shop with my laptop catching up on some projects and evening listening to 3 audio books I haven't started yet.

Meals? I guess I have go into survival mode and go to a restaurant.
    Something to think about. What if this was a large scale disaster or grid down situation. There won’t be a restaurant to go to or a grocery store that hasn’t been raided. Stock up with non perishables canned food rice and beans caned meat and a second cooking source. I know a lot of people think prepping is stupid and a wast of money. I look at it more as insurance. You don’t need a doomsday bunker but….you should have a little something

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Something to think about. What if this was a large scale disaster or grid down situation. There won’t be a restaurant to go to or a grocery store that hasn’t been raided. Stock up with non perishables canned food rice and beans caned meat and a second cooking source. I know a lot of people think prepping is stupid and a wast of money. I look at it more as insurance. You don’t need a doomsday bunker but….you should have a little something
    Good grief, should done it in purple. My friends are right, I'm not funny.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    We've got a few limbs down but nothing major. I was pleasantly surprised the power only flickered a few times and we never lost it.

I didn't take down the flag, but it's faded and due to be replaced. I'll swap it out once the rain stops, it appears it got a tear in it from all the wind. Doesn't look like the lake came up too much (it's been down a few inches).

Glad we came through OK, it's always nerve racking to see how much the tops of the 80'+ trees sway in the wind.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I kept a close watch on the track of the storm since mid week, and noticed that initially, the storm was projected to turn more northwest than what it actually did. I also looked at predicted wind speeds on all sides of the storm and noticed that areas west of it were significantly less rainy and windy than north and east, so when I saw how the storm was actually tracking yesterday, I was thinking “ok, we won’t get very much wind because now we’re more in the western part of the storm”, but the weather dorks here kept screeching “dangerous winds, dangerous winds”!

Long story short, I predicted the outcome of this more accurately than the local weather dorks, because we got a couple decent gusts of wind, but nothing near the speeds they were screaming about all day.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I kept a close watch on the track of the storm since mid week, and noticed that initially, the storm was projected to turn more northwest than what it actually did. I also looked at predicted wind speeds on all sides of the storm and noticed that areas west of it were significantly less rainy and windy than north and east, so when I saw how the storm was actually tracking yesterday, I was thinking “ok, we won’t get very much wind because now we’re more in the western part of the storm”, but the weather dorks here kept screeching “dangerous winds, dangerous winds”!

Long story short, I predicted the outcome of this more accurately than the local weather dorks, because we got a couple decent gusts of wind, but nothing near the speeds they were screaming about all day.

Who watches the "weather program" for the weather?

I watch to see if there is a hot chick.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    standing in my data center at work. Currently hour 5 today. We have A/B power plus generator.

Was here last night at 8 getting everything back up after a UPS flaked out taking half of one stack out.

WOke this AM to more alerts and full system down. Got in here at 7 to find one leg dead, and one leg with a whopping 40vac. And generator in an error state.

Electrician got here 2 hours ago and got the generator up, now everything appears to be back up, just cleaning up system errors from the not so graceful shutdown.

Just what I wanted to spend my Saturday doing.

Top Bottom