• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    off the top of my head i would say that if a rabbit or whatever is running from dogs and crosses the road somone runs it over and its no big deal. hitting a deer is a much bigger deal. plus i think a deer will run alot further than a rabbit and with land ownership broken up so much around here a hunter probably does not have permision to hunt all the land his dogs will chase the deer over. its not like out west where one person will own 10,000 acres. a rabbit will run a circle around the same 20 acre patch until he either goes in a hole, loses the dogs, or gets shot

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Southern states still allow you to run deer with dogs. Where I hunted down there it was about the only way to do it. So thick a man could not walk thru it, and no swinging of a gun,

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    The right to retrieve laws in Indiana aren't set up for hunting deer with dogs. The laws would have to be reworked. Has to do with land management and private property owner rights and trespassing. etc. etc...

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I had gotten it in my head that Indiana law was this way because it is somehow considered unsporting to pursue deer with dogs.

I have been told, although it might not be correct, that Indiana law says a dog that chases deer gets one chance to be broken of it and if it happens again the dog has to be put down.

willhirsch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    we have wild dogs in the woods I hunt and I have been told they have to be live trapped and taken to animal control and can not be shot in the state of Indiana. I am not sure how i will react next time i see them from the tree stand:) I have witnessed them chasing deer multiple times the past 3 seasons.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    If we see a dog running a deer through our woods while we're deer hunting, if it doesn't have a collar, we'll take a shot at the dog...
    We have a neighboor who owns coon dogs and every now and then one will get loose, but his ALWAYS have collars, and we know him well and he doesn't let them loose on purpose.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Loose scruffy dogs, no collars, running deer, we do our damndest to kill them.
    All of the above discussions about retrieval and car accidents are excellent points. We had a neighbor years back that had a couple of deer dogs, he would have his wife drop them on an opposite side of a farm/woods/property he wasn't allowed to hunt and would shoot deer as they were pushed out by the dogs. I always thought of it as "stealing" deer as fair game is working to get a drop on a deer. To each his own, I prefer the current method. I am not against using dogs, it is great to hear a good beagle/coonhound enjoying baying their lungs out in chase or at a tree. Just my :twocents:. Might have been neat to see a survey with this post. :): (ask if they were pro or con and if they were a landowner/renter/leasor of property)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I had gotten it in my head that Indiana law was this way because it is somehow considered unsporting to pursue deer with dogs.

Let's just think about this a little bit and consider just a few things posted on a resource we have close at hand, this board.:dunno:

Some of the most common posts concerning deer hunting is people looking for a PLACE to hunt, not enough ROOM to hunt, other people INTERRUPTING your hunting, tresspassers, wounding deer and wanting to tresspass to get it. Now let me rub my chin a little bit and wonder aloud, "Why the heck don't we add a pack of dumb dogs to this hunting mix. That would probably help."

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    we have wild dogs in the woods I hunt and I have been told they have to be live trapped and taken to animal control and can not be shot in the state of Indiana. I am not sure how i will react next time i see them from the tree stand:) I have witnessed them chasing deer multiple times the past 3 seasons.

I have been told, although it might not be correct, that Indiana law says a dog that chases deer gets one chance to be broken of it and if it happens again the dog has to be put down.

SSS

Who the heck is telling you guys this stuff? How in the world would any of these things EVER be managed or enforced? Who keeps count on this stuff? Has Obama got a wild dog Czar now? Do you ever actually just find out the truth on something for your self when you are told things that sound crazy?

SSS

I'll tell you right now it's not uncommon for people who think all the deer are "just across the property line, all hiding on that guy we aren't allowed on..." to take turns hunting the property line and have one guy "dog" the neighbor's property. Leave his gun and just walk through, "Golly gee whiz, I was lost and looking for my buddy who's up that tree the fence is nailed to some where over there..." They'll also take their dogs to the other side of the neighbors property and set them loose, "Golly gee mister, please don't shoot my dog, dogs don't know about no property lines mister, please don't shoot Lassy, she's my little cripples son's dog..."

SSS

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I agree with jack ryan on this one. We farm about 8000 acres and I constantly have people trespassing. It is a constant thing for me turn people away looking for ground to hunt. We have a couple of groups of coyote hunters in the area that use dogs to hunt with and for what ever reason they think they can just go anywhere they please. WRONG!! These guys turn dogs loose on a county road and have thier buddies on the county road adjacent. Now I don't know about anybody else but if I'm deer hunting and minding my own, I sure don't need dogs running thru and ruining my hunt. I'm dead set against it! I tell the hunters that coon hunt on us they can hunt Sunday thru Thursday night only and they better have thier dogs trained to listen to them. A bad dog can lead to lots of trouble.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I do not use my dogs to hunt deer, I do however use them to tree squirrels & to flush rabbits & quail, I would hope no-one would purposely shoot them.

Mostly because anyone who would intentionally & unlawfully use deadly force against one of my animals would immediately cause me to reasonably believe that I too would be at risk of SBI or death from that "armed & dangerous" individual.

And that is not a good situation to find yourself in, regardless of if you are the dog owner or if you are the dog shooter.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County

That may be the official legal policy on feral pets but I know of at least one animal shelter that prefers to get their loaned out live traps back empty....

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do not use my dogs to hunt deer, I do however use them to tree squirrels & to flush rabbits & quail, I would hope no-one would purposely shoot them.

Mostly because anyone who would intentionally & unlawfully use deadly force against one of my animals would immediately cause me to reasonably believe that I too would be at risk of SBI or death from that "armed & dangerous" individual.

And that is not a good situation to find yourself in, regardless of if you are the dog owner or if you are the dog shooter.
    :+1:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My 80 year old uncle, who has put food on the table by hunting and fishing since he was a child, is the person who told me a dog caught running deer a second time must be destroyed.

Sounds like a good rule. I'll defer to the senior hunter. If he says it then it's so, far as I'm concerned.

Second time, SSS.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom