• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ok folks:

I may very well find myself heading down towards the Kennedy Space Center-area some time this winter/next spring to hunt some wild hogs. They're evidently quite the problem down there...nuisance animals like they are most places.

Anyhoo, I will NOT be able to purchase a new firearm specifically for this.

What I have (or can borrow from my dad) that I can use is:

Rem 710 in .270Winchester - would be borrowed

Marlin lever rifle .30-30 - would be borrowed

Rem 870 in 12ga w/mag tube extension - mine

Mossberg 185-D 20-ga bolt action - mine

Ruger GP-100 4" .357 (would be my "backup", hopefully I can find a decent chest rig) - mine

So, given the above choices...which firearm would you choose?

-J-

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Ok folks:

I may very well find myself heading down towards the Kennedy Space Center-area some time this winter/next spring to hunt some wild hogs. They're evidently quite the problem down there...nuisance animals like they are most places.

Anyhoo, I will NOT be able to purchase a new firearm specifically for this.

What I have (or can borrow from my dad) that I can use is:

Rem 710 in .270Winchester - would be borrowed

Marlin lever rifle .30-30 - would be borrowed

Rem 870 in 12ga w/mag tube extension - mine

Mossberg 185-D 20-ga bolt action - mine

Ruger GP-100 4" .357 (would be my "backup", hopefully I can find a decent chest rig) - mine

So, given the above choices...which firearm would you choose?

-J-

None of the above. Meet some locals that run dogs, bay the pigs, jump on their backs, and knife them. NO BIGGER ADRENALINE RUSH.:cool:

If not an option, then I'd probably take the 270. Florida hogs are generally not that huge ... yes yes there are big ones, but the vast majority will be 200# and under (leaning to way under). Slug gun will work, but I'd want the accuracy on longer shots. I've seen many in the back portion of ranches, only to have them disappear as we have moved in. With the 270, you can reach out there.

Just my opinion though, for what it is worth.

Seriously though ... a 4" knife and some bad *** dogs are all you really need.:cool:

sp3worker

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    None of the above. Meet some locals that run dogs, bay the pigs, jump on their backs, and knife them. NO BIGGER ADRENALINE RUSH.:cool:

If not an option, then I'd probably take the 270. Florida hogs are generally not that huge ... yes yes there are big ones, but the vast majority will be 200# and under (leaning to way under). Slug gun will work, but I'd want the accuracy on longer shots. I've seen many in the back portion of ranches, only to have them disappear as we have moved in. With the 270, you can reach out there.

Just my opinion though, for what it is worth.

Seriously though ... a 4" knife and some bad *** dogs are all you really need.:cool:

I hunted in South Carolina with a couple guys from Florida who hunted this way. They said most of the time they wouldn't even have a knife, just enough rope to tie it up.:D They said every year they would lose at least a couple dogs fighting with the pigs. They were really into deer hunting with dogs too.

Really any of the guns listed would work, I'd probably go with the .270 though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Over on GT, I've had a lot of "if you're in a stand, then the .270", but if you're booting it, then the .30-30"

I really have no idea the "style" of hunting that my wife's cousin does; but I know for danged sure it doesn't involve dogs and a knife. That's just assinine! Seriously...God gave us brains with which to develop technology.

I'd much rather use a 130gr slug traveling at 3000fps than a 5" knife blade powered only by my arm.

No wonder it's "Flori-duh"... lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been invited to hunt feral hogs in Texas in late Dec. or early Jan.
    Host there says, one property, due to size constraints, they use NOTHING but 12ga. with 00 buck.

Another property they use 30/30, .270, 5.56, 7.62....

Terrain may make ALL the difference. Contact the host and ask them what they would choose! :twocents:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    That's just assinine! Seriously...God gave us brains with which to develop technology.

It is honestly one of the more barbaric things that I have ever done. To stand back and watch it be done is rough. But to jump in and do it and ride the tide of adrenaline is an addiction more powerful than any drug. Even simply hog tying them and loading them into a pen is a huge rush. Nothing like tackling a furious hog with a dog hanging off of each ear and wrestling him to the ground. I'm telling you ... it is an insane rush.:D

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    My vote would be for the 30-30 also...especially if your in an area of scrub brush, thickets, and grass.

I've been looking at these hunts for a while now...Hopefully I'll be able to get down there for a hunt!

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    saw something on TV called "Pig Bomb" talking about the explosion of the population of wild boar. They said in 1990 there were 14 states that had them and in 2000 there were over 40 states that had wild boar.

I hope to go some day and take my SKS to hunt them.

Top Bottom