• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "It's always been that way" and many people find it difficult to accept new things is the real reason, IMO.

Pistols in rifle calibers are legal, so the "too flat", "too much range", and "too many idiots with long range weapons shooting things they can't see" arguments don't hold water.

"People who hunt with handguns in rifle calibers are better shots?"
    "People who hunt with handguns in rifle calibers don't shoot things they can't see?"
    "People who hunt with handguns in rifle calibers are more ethical hunters?"
    "People who hunt with handguns in rifle calibers know the limits of their equipment?"

None of these arguments hold any water. So why are handguns legal and rifles aren't? Good question.

One argument that might have some validity is that it would be detrimental to the herd (make hunting too easy), however, a T/C pistol in .30-06 on shooting sticks is nearly the equal of any Winchester Model 70. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the T/C were more accurate, so for me anyway, there's just no logically valid or cogent argument against rifle calibers.

Jack Ryan will be along shortly with a contrary opinion.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Not when I can't keep a $1 slug (in a slug barrel) on a paper plate at 50 yards (shooting from sandbags), or when decent slugs are $3-$4 per shot.

I can reload .45 Colt or .454 Casull for ~$.50/ per shot with Hornady XTPs. I can buy 20-25 rounds of GOOD handgun hunting ammo for $20-$25, plenty for sighting in and get me through a hunting season.

And I can use the same XTP bullets in a sabot in a muzzleloader - more than half of the people I know that hunt deer do so with muzzleloaders during firearms season. More accurate (usually), better range, and a lot cheaper to buy and shoot, meaning more time behind the trigger. All of these mean fewer maimed deer/coyote food.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Haveta agree w/kludge. Sabot slugs are outrageously expensive. I want to hunt with something I've practiced with ALOT, you're not gonna do that with slugs that cost $15 for a box of 5.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i use 223 for yote, and any 30 cal rifle round for deer with deperdation tags and shotgun for the november hunt.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    ok just one question...i may be overthinking this but if indiana is too flat, or there are too many idiot hunters out ther shootin what they cant see, why is it legal to coyote hunt with a .50 cal sniper rifle...but not hunt deer with a 7 mm mag?

Think about the number of hunters in a concentrated area when deer hunting season is in... as compared to coyote hunting. Typically (I understand there are exceptions) in IN you don't have the open areas to take the really long shots as opposed to down south. In Tennessee for example their woods are so thick that most people don't hunt deer in them. The majority of the deer taken are in open field or along tree lines. Therefore it is more acceptable to use a higher caliber rifle. Also, coyote populations don't tend to explode as quickly as deer. There are less coyote hunters/trappers than deer hunters. Deer CAN be over harvested. We did it once in IN already. Granted atm we have an abundance of deer, but I still feel my point is valid.

Also, and this is just my opnion, so no one has to agree with it..... What is the challenge of taking a .308 or 30-06 and dropping a deer from 300+ yards away.. .(first off in IN good luck finding a 300yd clear shooting lane that doesn't cross a road :):) but assuming you have the ground to do so.... how hard is that? You can completely disregard all the challenges of hunting. No point in using camo... or scent blocker.. or really scouting for that matter cus anything that moves within eye sight will die before it knows what hit it. :rolleyes: Idk... thats just my :twocents: but part of the enjoyment is the challenge. I like the fair chase aspect of it.

-dcary7

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i hunt for food not challenge. what the easiest way is ill do it season permitting, if its a game to you then do it the hardest way you can think of.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    doesn't anyone still use a shotgun to deer hunt anymore?

I too feel the rem. 700 22-250 can't be beat for coyotes. Just my opinion.

Sure they do. I do and in fact I just bought another barrel to shoot slugs in another shotgun I haven't been using for deer.

These guys comparing reloaded brass shells to the most expensive slugs they can find at the most expensive store don't know what they are talking about, they just want repeat what ever they heard last. They are part of the bunch blathering about shotgun = expensive and kicks to hard so they can run out and buy those 500 S&W rifles you've seen for sale at $150 - $200 now. What's their whine with the 500? Surprise surprise, it's expensive to shoot and kicks too hard. ROTL.

Compare reloads to reloads and I can shoot slugs in a rifled barrel for about 15 - 20 cents a shot and I can make them as hot as a 3" mag or as soft as Mary's little lamb's butt and still be a full ounce of lead running 1300 fps for full penetration. Right through the boiler room at 50 yards blowing a hole out the other side you can stick a fist in.

22-250 is perfect for coyotes.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Sure they do. I do and in fact I just bought another barrel to shoot slugs in another shotgun I haven't been using for deer.

These guys comparing reloaded brass shells to the most expensive slugs they can find at the most expensive store don't know what they are talking about, they just want repeat what ever they heard last. They are part of the bunch blathering about shotgun = expensive and kicks to hard so they can run out and buy those 500 S&W rifles you've seen for sale at $150 - $200 now. What's their whine with the 500? Surprise surprise, it's expensive to shoot and kicks too hard. ROTL.

Compare reloads to reloads and I can shoot slugs in a rifled barrel for about 15 - 20 cents a shot and I can make them as hot as a 3" mag or as soft as Mary's little lamb's butt and still be a full ounce of lead running 1300 fps for full penetration. Right through the boiler room at 50 yards blowing a hole out the other side you can stick a fist in.

22-250 is perfect for coyotes.

hit the nail on the head

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    i hunt for food not challenge. what the easiest way is ill do it season permitting, if its a game to you then do it the hardest way you can think of.

And that is fine. Everyone has their reasons for why they hunt. I personally will only take doe for meat and will not take a buck unless its fully mature and I can mount it. :dunno: (I of course would eat the buck if I take it, I am just saying I am not going to shoot a yearling buck just to say I shot a buck) To each their own though. If you're just putting meat in the freezer then it doesn't matter cus they all eat pretty well the same lol.

That's why I said that "no one has to agree with it because it is just my opinion."

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    And that is fine. Everyone has their reasons for why they hunt. I personally will only take doe for meat and will not take a buck unless its fully mature and I can mount it. :dunno: (I of course would eat the buck if I take it, I am just saying I am not going to shoot a yearling buck just to say I shot a buck) To each their own though. If you're just putting meat in the freezer then it doesn't matter cus they all eat pretty well the same lol.

That's why I said that "no one has to agree with it because it is just my opinion."

i understand, its all good.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Anything goes for fox and coyote, squirrel also. No limitation on weapon of choice.

You can also hunt rabbits at night....just don't use a light.

Top Bottom