• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i am looking into buying a rifle in the near future and would like to get something that i could hunt with also i found the rules on what cartridges you could hunt with for deer but can't seem to find the regulations for anything else can someone point me in the right direction on where to look besides the dnr website or maybe someone knows?? (i have never been hunting before so i am clueless in this area):ingo:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    are you talking about out of state hunting? if so i believe 270 is the minimun in most states for elk. and in most states 243 is the minimum for deer although some allow 22 cal . if you aren't talking about out of state hunting forget everything i said and read above

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Depends on what you want to hunt, big game like deer ctg., like 357 mag, 41 mag 44mag, 45 Lc,.... for small game, .22 for squirrels...

i use my SKS for deer and squirrels. Just not much left of the squirrel when im done:D

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    well i am definitely gonna be hunting in Indianan and i was looking at either getting a .223 or 30-06 (dunno why but i just kinda like em) and from what info i have found you can't hunt deer with either (i looked at the dimensions for 30-06 on Wikipedia) and i don't know if the same regulations that apply to deer apply to other animals like fox and coyote and things like that, and i don't think i would use anything bigger than a .22 for squirrel or wabbit as i don't think there would be too much of them left with anything any bigger

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The DNR makes the hunting rules/laws/regulations so the DNR web site is the place to look for that kind of information.

The info they provide in the Hunting & Trapping Guide is pretty much all you need to know. If there are exceptions to this I hope some others can chime in.

Here is a link to the Indiana DNR’s 2009 – 2010 Hunting & Trapping Guide.
    DNR: Hunting Guide & Regulations

The 2010 – 2011 addition won’t be out for a few more months.

I personally like a rifle for deer in .44 mag.

[FONT=&quot]Bucky[/FONT]

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    well i am definitely gonna be hunting in Indianan and i was looking at either getting a .223 or 30-06 (dunno why but i just kinda like em) and from what info i have found you can't hunt deer with either (i looked at the dimensions for 30-06 on Wikipedia) and i don't know if the same regulations that apply to deer apply to other animals like fox and coyote and things like that, and i don't think i would use anything bigger than a .22 for squirrel or wabbit as i don't think there would be too much of them left with anything any bigger

you can hunt coyote with anything you want. i think a 223 would be a good option. somday you should be able to shoot it cheap. right now its roughly 40 cent a round. you can coyote hunt with it and just basic shoot it the barrel life is great and it wont kick your teeth out.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    ...from what info i have found you can't hunt deer with either ...
    That is correct.

...i don't know if the same regulations that apply to deer apply to other animals like fox and coyote and things like that ...
    The caliber restrictions for deer hunting apply to deer hunting only.

...i don't think i would use anything bigger than a .22 for squirrel or wabbit ...
    A shotgun can be used for squirrel and wabbit….er rabbit as long as you’re not too close. A .22 is a good choice and my personal preference.

Bucky

coyotedown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    if your just starting out in hunting than the best way to learn is with a single shot, teaches you to be patient and make good shots. To many times have i heard and seen people unload their gun, and usually after after the second shots its just throwin lead and prayin at that point; and awful annoying to boot.

Top Bottom