• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Completely disagree... There's more to hunting than just knowing how to read, knowing how to shoot, and knowing how to be quiet.

You're right of course. There is indeed much, much more to hunting than reading, shooting, and stealth. That doesn't mean he's forbidden from trying without a mentor.
    There was no-one in my family that hunted when I grew up.
    I lobbied for a BB gun for Christmas and got one. I never looked back.

I've never had formal hunting training, though I might have been more successful earlier if I had.
    45+ years of experience has taught me a lot. Joining the hunting/shooting community taught me more.
    To date, I've taken more rabbit, squirrel, ground-hog, starlings...than I can remember. I've taken dozens and dozens of deer.
    I still want to do a wild boar hunt, but I digress.

Please don't discourage the guy. It was stated up thread. Depending on his age, the DNR Hunters Education course could be required anyway.
    Just because he may not be able to find a mentor is NOT a reason to forgo the whole idea.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    I'll throw in my :twocents: here and agree with Mgderf. All of the above advice is few great.. But don't think of it like a checklist you have to accomplish before you hunt. I started last year and I've fallen in love. I wish I had access to some mentorship... but I've learned quite a lot just going out and hunting squirrel and rabbit. The more it sticks, the more interested I am to read articles or forums.

Remember that you learn as much or more from your failed hunts!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Murphy's Law was written for the lone hunter.
    Keep your shi* tight and mind working constantly. Be safe. Anything that can go wrong can be dangerous.
    Watch some hunting videos on what you want to hunt.
    Find you a good area, grab a 20-ga, and go bust some bunny wabbits.
    You'll have to lead them a bit. When you think you've led them enough then double that and watch 'em tumble.

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    Welcome. Hunting your first time can be interesting experience. I do agree it is best to get out before and after the season and practice sitting not moving. It's amazing how cold your body can get when you don't move around for hours. My first time hunting 10 years ago that was the biggest thing that hit me is oh so I just sit here and wait...? After that trip though never looked back loved every minute of it.

Top Bottom