• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Those are not detailed enough to use in HNF or MSF.
    No, but if he memorizes the nearby roads and has a compass worst case scenario, he finds his vehicle within 10-12 hours after getting lost. Land Nav after dark on a moonless night in unfamilair uneven terrain is different thread :laugh:

I am not going to be responsible for what happens when people step off the pavement or read the map wrong.

As I like to say when fishing: "You can't catch a fish if you don't have your hook in the water." You gotta get out there.

At the same time, I also like to say: "Mother Nature is always testing you to see if it is time to make you back into worm food." If a flock of flying Monkies from Wizard of Oz decend on your ass, enjoy it till' the ammo runs out. If you are lost, nobody was going to find your body until Spring thaw anyway.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The whole thread is a waste of time, an exercise in futility.

He doesn't even have a hunting license. It's been days since he started this thread and he still doesn't have a hunting license. It's implied he's been "working on" getting a hunting license since before the thread was ever started.

I don't know how it got to the point that hunters think they have to coddle and beg people to go hunt or people who don't hunt think they are doing some one a favor to go hunt. Why would I as a hunter care to see some one out in the field with me or calling them selves "a hunter" who doesn't even have the gumption or independance to even go get thier own frigging license?

It's nothing but another jerk off thread by some one in love with the "idea" of hunting, who reads hunting magazines and may even have watched a hunting video, but just throw it out there, "Say let's go after some rabbits today. I'll pick you up in an hour..." and blah blah blah waaaaa it's too cold, I gotta work, I don't have a license...

Going hunting requires DOING SOMETHING. Getting a license is mandatory. It's the easiest part of it all. If that's a problem then it's a waste of breath to discuss it. I'd rather they NEVER hunt. I get fed up with hearing it out of teen age blood relatives, I sure as heck am not taking a single step out of my way to help a grown adult that helpless. Take me hunting, blah waa waa. Got a license? No. Let me know when you've got one. End of story.

There's the whole of the what, why, who, and how boiled down to the bare bones facts. All the sugar is off it.

I'm done now.

Last edited:

vthokie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Lets face it, hunting takes work in that it takes effort to prepare and execute a good hunt. There are many steps that have to take place and many people are just not willing to make the effort. It is to easy to play video hunting in the livings room but far less rewarding if you have actully tried it for real in the outdoors.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I am city born and raised. My father grew up hunting on the farm and in the hills of central Tennessee but after moving to Indiana he was not able to continue the sport. So, I never learned to hunt or fish.

A month or two ago I asked about where one can actually hunt in Indiana. The general response was "Go meet some farmers, get to know them and ask for permission to hunt on their land." I found it remarkable that at the same time there were active threads on what it means when a gate is closed and how land owners react to strangers opening the gate and driving up to the house (general answer was to grab a gun and run the trespassers off private property), or what one should do when a wounded deer runs onto the neighbor's land (consensus was not to cross on to the neighbor's land, and the land owners consistently said they would meet hunters in pursuit of wounded deer with their own weapons in hand and run them off). I concluded that Indiana farmers were not interested in meeting new city boys who are looking for places to hunt.

Today, I came across this article:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...LINE?SITE=VTBEN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

What is available in Indiana to help novices learn to hunt? Is this something the 12,000 :ingo: members could address? There are many expert and experienced hunters in our membership. Could :ingo: help organize a training program? Are there programs already in existence that will train the novice to hunt? (I know about the Indiana hunting course at <http://my.hunter-ed.com/course> but completion of that course will not leave one ready to go into the field to hunt anything. Novices need training about equipment, methods, etc. on site, not just on-line.

If something is not provided, fewer and fewer will continue to hunt. Of course, this may be what the hunting community desires. Fewer hunters means greater opportunity for those who do hunt.

So, where do Hoosiers learn to hunt? Where do they hunt once they learn? Interesting question for this city boy.
    I think you're reading too much into the "where to hunt" and "meet a farmer" comments.

Yes, most landowners come down very hard trespassers etc, but that is because they have to or they will become a poachers doormat. That doesn't mean that a good, respectful guy cannot gain access to their land for hunting. It means that you're going to have to work to gain their trust.

If a stranger approached me asking about hunting on our land I would turn them down. If a stranger approached me asking if I needed help around the farm etc and wondering about the possibility of hunting the land the offer would certainly be entertained. Most landowners aren't going to blindly grant permission to a stranger, and for good reason. They don't know you, they don't know how safe you are and how respectful you are. I want to work beside somebody and get to know their character a little before I grant them permission to enter my property when I'm not present.

As far as opening gates to approach the house, IMHO as long as you close the gate behind you and don't go any further than the house I don't see anything wrong with it. If there are lots of no trespassing signs on the driveway etc then it may be in your best interest to try to call the person ahead of time. I know many landowners don't want to be bothered period, but for me, as long as you come to the house first there won't be any problems.

And don't get discouraged after being turned down, most people with land to hunt on are already pretty much full up on hunters to a certain extent. You will get turned down several times before you find your little honey-hole, but keep your head up and stay positive, keep a positive respectful attitude and it will eventually come back to you.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I think that part of the problem with hunting right now is that people are too lazy, they would rather video game, watch a movie, etc. Another one is the cost of a hunting license. Wish IN would go back to the lifetime hunting license. Its cheaper for me to hunt in Georgia (license cost as an out of stater) than to hunt here in Indiana.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    To be a good hunter, you have to spend time in the outdoors. Learn field craft, learn the woods and the wildlife.

Don't just spend time in the field during hunting season, but spend lots of time out of season. Even thirty minutes a couple times a week is better then nothing during the year.

Once you learn your field craft, hunting will become a lot easier. You will know the fields and the wildlife that lives there.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Its hard to gage the hunters in Indiana,these days. Beings you can write your own tags if you are a land owner and hunt your own land. I am seeing a increase in hunters in my neck of the woods. Use to never see anyone and now its hard to move around ,without screwing up another hunters hunt. Guess it could be a decline in some areas,guess their moving to my area. Just a guess and observation.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Indiana has laid the groundwork in that they allowed the youths to get a head start by having a weekend youth only deer hunt the last weekend in September. Please do not start a “the youths don’t need a special weekend as I never had one when I was a kid” post. That debate is long over. This is not what that is about.

IMHO - INGO is a big enough site to sponsor a youth hunt for that weekend.

My site at…

http://huntingindiana.proboards.com/index.cgi?

sponsored a youth Hunt for 14 kids (9 boys and 5 girls) this last September. The year before we had 9 kids so it is growing..

A member at my site is half owner of Hunt Club Services and has some hunting ground just a little south of Vincennes.

http://www.huntclubservices.net/index.php?topic=107.0

He graciously allowed the hunt to be conducted there. Even though he strives to produce some quality big bucks there were no restrictions on what the kids could shoot. They ended up taking home two yearling bucks and one doe. All three deer were the kid’s very first deer. They are hooked.

All in all he and I were out about $250 each for food to feed the kids, the mentors, camp cook and the “guides”. We ate GOOD!

I hit up a bunch of retailers and manufacturers for goodies for the kids, so each kid went home with a big bag of hunting stuff. Retailers and manufacturers seem to be very receptive when it comes to kids aka “their future customers.”

This is the forum about the 2010 hunt.

http://huntingindiana.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=2010youthdeerhunt

This is the forum about the 2009 hunt.

http://huntingindiana.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=2009youthhunt

It was a blessing to all of us that put on this hunt with the interaction with the kids. It was fun too..

I don’t see any reason why a group from here could not do the same.

We do need to recruit kids or "hunting truly is a dying sport."

Last edited:

vthokie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Investigage either joining or forming a hunt club. Land rental, liability insurance and other expenses are divided among club members and you can expand or contract your hunting activity each year based on your membership. Keep hunting alive!!!!

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    in my opinion, You do not have to look for hunters. It's an instinct that is in our human DNA. If the kids see you hunting and start asking questions, or starring at you. then do everyone a favor and talk to them and teach them how.
    Just like pilots, the future pilots are the kids standing watching the planes taking off.

Top Bottom