• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I love going on the special reserve hunts, especially the ones in the state parks. They are a lot of fun and you get to talk to other hunters who are usually pretty good guys but there are always a few dumbies.

This year in Brown County State park, I set up the second day in a spot a little way from where I wanted to go, because there was a hunter already there who flashed his light at me. I was bummed out about him beating me there but it is what it is and so I moved at least 300 yards away which was over the hill from the guy and facing another direction.. I got all set up in the tree, ready for the day by 6 am. Then around 9 am, I notice a guy walking toward me, figured that he was walking around but instead he set up in a tree 50-60 yards away from and was facing the same direction as me. I know he saw me. Then I noticed another guy same distance climbing a tree behind me. I know he saw me as well. I was pretty pissed off at that point. It had been light for a while so anything that may have been moving toward me was probably spooked when they walked in.

I did get down at 11:00 and walked out within 20 yards of the one guy. I was hoping that he would say something about it but he did not. I also made sure that I made a little more noise than usual.

I just don't get people who do this. The State Park is huge and they both could have moved 100 yards away so that we could not see each other or moved to the other side of the ridge.

I had another hunter tell me a similar story about a guy setting up on the ground 50 yards from where he was 45-60 minutes prior. He flashed his light at him several times and the guy yelled out to him that he was hunting there.

Not only are these hunters without etiquette, they are creating a dangerous situation.

And this does not just happen in Indiana, I also hunt in PA and had a young kid set up 75 yards away from me on the ground after I flashed my light at him multiple times and there we use high powered rifles. The second day, he was not there and I literally dropped a doe right where he was sitting. You could see the impression on the ground.

This is something that I just wanted to out out there.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    As more and more people start to hunt the woods become crowded really quick. I hunt state land in Harrison Co. and have so with great luck for the past 10 years. We hunt a small secluded spot thats not easy to get to and you have to know what you're looking for. With that being said last year was the first time we ran into someone out there. We were heading into the woods as they were pulling in. These 3 guys actually triangled in one of my buddies each setting up within 100 yards on 3 sides of him. His light was on trees marked with tacks and it didn't stop these guys. No one made a scene and luckily they didn't come back. This year I got setup early around 6:15 I shot my buck at 9:15 when I got down went and checked on him came back to get my gear and noticed a hunter setup about 30 yards behind me. He had just walked in probably the one who spooked the deer to me. Guy was cool and actually helped me drag the deer out.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    It you hunt public land you just have to deal with it. Been there, done that. You have to hunt far off the beaten path to get away from that. I never would want to hunt next to a stranger.that's why I like going is to get far away from people.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hunt with a bow :) ..or a muzzleloader. all problems solved. I've been fortunate to never HAVE to hunt public land but if I did, I wouldn't go out during gun season. I've heard more and more of these stories that would just ruin the entire hunting experience.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Sad :(

I am fortunate enough to not have to hunt public land, but if I did I think I would probably limit my deer hunting to bow season. I like a good bit of trees in between me and other hunters. My family is usually atleast 300 yards apart, and we know where everyone is. I would have a hard time shooting not knowing if someone was behind a tree in front of me.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Pay lake style hunting LOL!!!

ISeeWhatYouDidThereBlackWithTextSS.png

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Was in a SP in Minnesota some years back sittin in my stand sippin some coffee when all the sudden the sun came up and there was nothing but orange all around me. Just got down and found a new next to impossible spot to get too cause I didn't want to get shot. They say in a popular SP you need to be at least a mile back before it thins out and a guy can hunt in peace.

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    I have experienced the same thing at Charlestown SP. Seems that no one wants to get out on thier own and hunt! I can say however, that in the 14 years that I've deer hunted public land (archery, gun, ML), I have never had anything like this happen except at the SP hunt. I hike nearly 3 miles in, and have only ever ran into one other hunter. Turns out, he was a family member of a landowner, and he was lost! Only downfall of going that far in, is you really think twice about shooting one!

GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Similar problems at Brookville Reservoir property in Franklin County. With the problem compounded by Buckeyes (Ohioans) being overly abundant.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom