• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Surprised there are so many "No"s, Probably the same results if you polled for allowing crossbows prior to that passing

Not as surprised as I guess I was at first. I suspect there are many guys/gals like myself. I'm personally not going to vote yes, but I'm not going to fight it though either...nor will I be distraught when it passes.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not as surprised as I guess I was at first. I suspect there are many guys/gals like myself. I'm personally not going to vote yes, but I'm not going to fight it though either...nor will I be distraught when it passes.

"...if you decide not to choose, you still have made a choice..."

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    .243 and larger is how the DNR put it, makes perfect sense. Other people aren't stupid because you don't understand.......

While hookeye and I probably don't see eye to eye on this one, he is correct. The DNR regulation as listed in that poll would allow for use of anything larger than .243, including 9mm, 45acp, etc. The DNR proposal has a minimum cartridge length also.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The idea of the proposal is to allow "regular" deer rifle cartridges.

Every other Fudd fancies himself as a sniper these days.

Oh well, the night before gun season, the guys with .270's and .308's will be standing in line with the .44 mag, shotgun and MZ guys...... wanting their rigs scoped/boresighted.

Bet more than a few will come in on Monday wanting 7 mag ammo (since they bought 7mm -08 at some chain store) or vica versa.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    In theory I think there will be less injured deer running around with bullet holes in them or found dead. Most rifles recoil less than shotguns so to me that means less flinching from the recoil and shotgun triggers plain suck compared to rifle triggers. To me most average joe hunters will make better shots with rifles. I dont think it will affect the sniper mentality. I know to many guys who hunt with shotguns that will shoot at a deer in a field no matter how far away it is. The bore sighting is classic. Half the rednecks around here get there new gun that they have never shot before bore sighted and think yep im setup to go hunting. They think bore sighting means its dead on. Wonder why I see three legged deer running around. Same with putting on a scope. You dont even have to sight it in just slap it on there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I'm mixed on this also.
    Yes, I'd like to hunt with the .308 I already have. Yes, I'd like to be able to make a longer shot that I would be comfortable with. And yes, under some circumstances it would be good to have the power more likely to anchor the animal when shot.

Sometimes though, you have to be careful what you wish for. Noticeable changing of rules could change the whole picture. The one buck rule, special youth season and allowing .410 slugs are just some things that seemed like an OK idea, yet have proven detrimental to my hunting.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I myself don't really care one way or the other, it won't change the way I hunt.... I would like to be able to use a 243 but first I would have to have the hunting ground that would call for the need for it, plus the 243 I could use for yote hunt'n too so it just makes good since to me as a all round duel gun... But again at this time I will just go with what I got until the time I find some different ground that would call for a different gun ?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I would like to be able to use a 243 but first I would have to have the hunting ground that would call for the need for it.

Remember, range isn't the sole purpose for rifles. If rifles for deer are legalized, the rifle that will see the most use for me will actually see me losing range from what I use now. My max range with a suppressed 300 Blackout and subsonic ammo will be around 50 yards. Not all of us are out to shoot 1000 yards. LOL!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Remember, range isn't the sole purpose for rifles. If rifles for deer are legalized, the rifle that will see the most use for me will actually see me losing range from what I use now. My max range with a suppressed 300 Blackout and subsonic ammo will be around 50 yards. Not all of us are out to shoot 1000 yards. LOL!

Totally agreed that's why I will stay with what I got, NO need for anything else.... Like I said before I don't have the ground that I would have a need for something to shoot very far, my muzzleloader and Rem 11-87 will do all I need , I would never shoot at a deer or yote at 1000yds anyway.... I use a 223 for yotes so really Im good to go, but again like I said a 243 would be a duel gun ...But Im all for it so everyone can use what they like, Im PRO gun first !!!!! To clear it up for ya if I had the ground that I could shoot far I wouldn't take a shot over 200 or 300yds anyway.... The ground I hunt my farthest shot would be maybe 150yrds and I can use my muzzleloader if I am hunting that area....

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddy's place is 3 open fields.
    A 300 yard shot there would probably be the norm.....have seen bruisers well past that.

HP rifle would put some nice mounts on the wall.

Top Bottom