Columbia Contra Backpack
    Trekker Water Bottle Fanny Pack

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Need: cordage, multitool, signalling devices (whistle/mirror) and a blanket or sleep system. Also, a small tube of vaseline for lips and hands; after being outdoors for a week, you would kill for this. I would also sub the water purifying tabs witha survival straw, it's good for 5,00 gallons, weighs littlel and costs about $20.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    Forgot about the Signal Mirror. Forgot the banket thing too. I can see picking up some Paracord. I think I'll stick with Blistex Complete Moisture Chapstick. When I was in the Looney-Bin earlier this year they Nurse gave me Vaseline for my chapped lips and it didn't do squat. My lips were so cracked and dry they bled. Took alittle over a week of applying Blistex to return my lips to normal. I'll do some reading up on the Survival Straw. I don't feel a Multi-Tool is really necessary.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    If it works for you it is great. It all depends on your skills. The more skills you have the more you know how to use what mother nature provides. There is no kit that will work for all people. You need to use it and see what works for you. After shelter, water,and food it is all opinions on what you need to survive. There is a big difference between survival and comfort items. Looks like you have the basics covered. Some 550 and duct tape can be worth there weight in gold with how many uses they both have.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I've added the Sportsman's Space Blanket. Much thicker than the regular Survival Blanket but still light weight.

Also added the Katadyn Vario Microfilter.

Flagging Tape would be useful and it's cheap. Duck Brand Tape is abit more expensive than regular Duct Tape but much better made and comes in several colors.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I'm bugging in!

When the shtf, I can organize my stuff better. My kit has expanded and is taking over my trunk.

If it works for you-great. UST makes a hard cased kit, I have 4 of them and they are great.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I'm bugging in!

When the shtf, I can organize my stuff better. My kit has expanded and is taking over my trunk.

If it works for you-great. UST makes a hard cased kit, I have 4 of them and they are great.

This is about Wilderness Survival, not "OMG, Zombies Are Coming To Eat Our Brains". I know you're hoping and dreaming for it. That's in the movies, this is the real world.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Cabelas Hunter Tent:
    I know Cabelas doesn't make anything.

Ka-Bar Short Fighting Knife
    Smith's 4 in 1 Knife Sharpener
    UST Blast Match
    UST Wetfire Tinder
    AMK Body Stapler Kit
    AMK Ultralight First Aid Kit
    Katadyn Drinking Water Tablets
    Silva Huntsman Compass
    Ben's 98% Deet Repellant
    Gerber Gator Machete
    Columbia Contra Backpack
    Trekker Water Bottle Fanny Pack

Pretty good.

I'd rather have a metal surplus canteen and cup than a plastic water bottle though. Super glue and or duct tape instead of a body stapler. Need a whistle and a little mirror.

Pretty good though.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Forgot about the Signal Mirror. Forgot the banket thing too. I can see picking up some Paracord. I think I'll stick with Blistex Complete Moisture Chapstick. When I was in the Looney-Bin earlier this year they Nurse gave me Vaseline for my chapped lips and it didn't do squat. My lips were so cracked and dry they bled. Took alittle over a week of applying Blistex to return my lips to normal. I'll do some reading up on the Survival Straw. I don't feel a Multi-Tool is really necessary.

Think dual purposes on things.

Vasoline will start fires too.

I can live with out it but I'd rather LIVE with it, Leatherman Wave. Pulls thorns fixes other stuff and makes things from stuff you find. I like that straw idea.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    Think dual purposes on things.

Vasoline will start fires too.

I can live with out it but I'd rather LIVE with it, Leatherman Wave. Pulls thorns fixes other stuff and makes things from stuff you find. I like that straw idea.

That I'm aware of but as far as using it as a substitute for Chapstick, it's worthless.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    vasoline and cotton balls is awesome and they burn forever and are damn near waterproof. i keep a couple film roll canisters full of them. its easy to store and they stay saturated.

also another great way to do it is to make what i call a survival straw. cut up a straw into multiple pieces about a inch or 2 long. heat one end with a lighter and press it together to seal it. rip off a piece of a cotton ball soak it with the vasoline and then push it into the straw then i like to put a little layer of vasoline between each piece of cotton in the straw so its kinda layered. fill it up and seal the other end. its waterproof and takes a very long time to even semi dry up. then in a actual survival situation you just cut the tip off the straw push the fist piece out and use it to light up your fire (each little piece will burn for like 25 secs or so) then seal it back up and you got more for later vs burning a whole cotton ball which you might need later.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm bugging in!

Yea we are planning on bugging in too, however if for some odd reason we are not able to stay put we do have "evacuation packs" ready to be grabbed & tossed into the back of the truck if we need to get out of here in a hurry.

Our evacuation packs are as follows; each of us have an individual backpack, consisting of spare clothing & basic survival necessities, then we have a family camp-kitchen backpack, a family food & water backpack with a couple of weeks of a mix of "just add water" & "ready to eat" food kept stored in it, a family shelter backpack & an animal supply backpack for our dogs.

Having the essentials pre-packed makes it quick & easy to just grab the packs & toss them in the truck, leash up the dogs & go, if for some reason we are forced to abandon the truck & go on foot, we can at least take our individual backpacks & still have the basics with us, leaving the other "family/animal" packs & supplies behind, hopefully having the option to retrieve them at a later date.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just asked the family if we had any Vaseline in the house. My teenager uses it for her feet when running cross country. Little trick her coach told her about. Now i really need some of that in a BOB.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I just asked the family if we had any Vaseline in the house. My teenager uses it for her feet when running cross country. Little trick her coach told her about. Now i really need some of that in a BOB.

I seen something similar on an Episode of Survivor Man. Les put some on his Sled Dog's feet.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ka-Bar Short Fighting Knife
    Gerber Gator Machete
    . etc.

Given the premise of this thread "wilderness survival kit", I think of a small and essential core kit. It can be part of a modular system if you want to carry more (just add more modules), but you always carry at least this kit. In addition to what you've listed I'd add:

A map.
    Light source (LED headlamp suggested).
    Another fire starting method (it's important enough you need to have at least 2 ways, Bic lighter recommended).
    Your signaling ability is lacking. Consider adding a whistle, mirror, etc.
    Water container (unless your fanny pack comes with).
    Cordage (550 suggested).
    Hankercheif/bandanna.
    Might add a small fishing kit and some commercial snares.
    Might add a bit of food like a protein bar, or lifeboat ration (if you want to get fancy).

IMHO, given a decent knife, you don't also need a machete. So, I'd eliminate that. If a kit isn't small/light enough to be convenient and have with you at all time, chances are when you need it you won't have it. Given this, I'd eliminate the tent also, and the backpack (as this kit should fit in a fanny pack or smaller container).

All this assumes you dress appropriately for conditions, have the appropriate EDC stuff, and the knowledge, positive mental attitude, experience, judgment, and common sense to use what you have wisely.

Top Bottom