How's the powder and primer selection at the Indy 1500?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Last I went...about 6 months ago....Primers were 30 dollars a 1000 after tax. Powder was decent priced, but not earth shatterlingly less than somewhere else.

I'd suggest BtB(34/1000+tx I think for primers), Atterbury(32.95+tx I 'think' for primers), or Bobcat Steel(you'd have to ask) for reloading stuff with as far away as you are.

Now, if you just want to go browse and people watch, its worth a trip. If you park on the grounds, its a 16-20 dollar overhead just to get in the door these days. I park across the street for free on street parking so that saves me like 5 bucks.

Welcome to the board!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If you are coming up from Madison, I'd suggest cabelas in Noblesville for primers ($25 for S&B or $20 when on sale), and indy gun club just a few miles away from cabelas for powder. Lots of other shops you could hit on the way home.
    I quit going to the 1500 for components and now get 95% of my stuff from those 2 places for less money and no waiting in lines.

Bobcat steel also has LOTS of components and could very well be a 1 stop shop for you.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We'd be glad to help any way that we can.

We can hold stuff for pickup at the 1500 if you'd like to pre-pay.....your choice. You can always swing by the shop as well.

superluckycat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Madison
    We'd be glad to help any way that we can.

We can hold stuff for pickup at the 1500 if you'd like to pre-pay.....your choice. You can always swing by the shop as well.

Thanks for the reply. I'd probably skip the gunshow and just head straight for your shop. Mainly looking for S&B SPP bulk and 8# plus ot titegroup or similar.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Thanks for the reply. I'd probably skip the gunshow and just head straight for your shop. Mainly looking for S&B SPP bulk and 8# plus ot titegroup or similar.

Got you covered on the titegroup, but we don't carry the S&B as I really don't like them. Currently have CCI and Winchester.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

If you ever happen by a Cabela's store, they have been having the S&B SPP on sale for $19.99/1,000 and you sure can't beat that price! I saw some at the Hammond location when I was passing through a month or two ago. S&B ammo and primers have always worked fine for me. Their 9.3x72r ammo rocks and shoots exactly to point of aim in my O/U cape gun. Now if only they would import their .366" 193gr JSP projectiles (which they sell in Europe), I would be all set for reloading both 9.3x72r and 9.3x82r.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    It's cheaper to buy local than a 1500 generally, especially once you pay admission. Unless you like to be crop dusted. Check out Bobcat or Atterbury. Cabellas does have the S&B for $19.99/1000 online as well but there is a hazmat fee. If you buy bulk primers and titegroup and you could spread that fee around.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Used some S&B in 45 acp over the weekend only difference I noticed was they were ten bucks cheaper a thousand will definitely be stocking up the next time I'm around Cabelas in Noblesville.

superluckycat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Madison
    Thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome to the board. I usually live over at that black rifle site but will definitely be spending a lot of time on here now.

I also like the S&B primers. They've been 100% for me.

bertnkristi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Lebanon Indiana
    I have used the S&B primers and they are great.

Indiana gun club on 113th Street it's also a great place to buy powder. Most of the time their prices are better than Cabela's.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom