• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chriscrystle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Central IA
    Have any of you guys heard of or shot a Howa? Me and my brother were watching a TV show where they were shooting some 600 to 1000 yard targets. I talked to a local gunsmith and he said he could build one of these guns for a decent price using a howa. Also what is the best caliber for a long range tack driver?

ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    Howa makes some decent rifles. I would still perfer a 700 or savage. Now for long range shooting. If you simply going to target shoot with it. Then there really is no best caliber. So many are capable of shooting to a grand. You would be surprised what a factory Rem 700 or savage can do with very little work. One of the most popular calibers would be a 308. I'm building a 338 ultra mag now, so I can use the better BC bullets available. Mor info on what your wanting to do with the gun and I could help with choosing a caliber.

slcorson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    i agree with the other gentleman, hard to beat the savage or remington 700!! for 600 plus yard shots, i would also look at the .300 win mag and if you want to get crazy - the .338 laupa.

simpson1922

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Benre, IN
    I just bought a howa 1500 in 22-250. I put a nikon prostaff scope on it. I took it to the range today and it shoots real nice the only complaint i have about it so far is the trigger has some creep to it but it is supposed to be adjustable so it should be easy to fix. My buddy has one in .204 varmiter setup and it is a tack driver but has the trigger creep to. The Howa 1500 is the same action as the weatrhby vangaurd from what info i have read. Howa has a contract with weeatherby making all the vangaurd actions.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Howa makes good rifles. To me, they are on par with the Remingtons. I'd look at pricing comparisons if it was me, and go with the best value out of the two.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    my father in law just bought one in 22/250 1/4 moa at a 100 yards just stating out and thats just using out of the box ammo . i was impressed maybe down the road i might get one.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I own a couple of Howa rifles. Good guns IMO. I still prefer the Remington for one reason-after market parts and accessory's. IMO the Howa rifles have a smother action than a out of the box Remington. I like the Howa bolt design better also. Bu they all work.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Here's a link to a page that has several different pictures of what you can do with a Howa. As mentioned earlier, aftermarket parts are more available for a Remington and probably a Savage but as this page shows, there are plenty of parts out there for a Howa to make it fairly custom.

Entry Level Howa Tactical Package

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    I agree with several of the earlier posts in reference to the quality of the howa rifles. I own a howa as well as savage and remington rifles. In my opinion the Howa trigger is a much better factory trigger than the remington x mark trigger. As stated earlier you can adjust the Howa trigger to remove the slight creep. I adjusted my trigger down to 1.5 lbs and absolutely no creep. I don't shoot much further than 500 yards and with mostly small caliber stuff so i don't have a recommendation on a specific caliber.

Top Bottom