• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    My 6 year old boy has been bugging me to get him his own airsoft gun. I use an airsoft to practice with. He understands what guns can do and knows basic gun safety rules so I will start him out as soon as I convince "Mamma" which will be the biggest challenge.

Fish609

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Nope, you did just fine. It is up to the adult to decide when the child is mature enough to handle a firearm with his/her supervision. It is also up to the adult to decide when THEY are mature enough to supervise.

Rule of thumb is that if you take your kids shooting you should sit back and supervise and let them do all the shooting. Go alone if you need to sight in a rifle or practice until the child is [STRIKE]old[/STRIKE] *mature* enough to be trusted.

kaforgey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Camden
    I began shooting guns with my dad when I was 5ish. He taught me gun safety before that with bb guns. I'm planning to start shooting with my children about that age.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, the only time they're too young is when they're still in the womb. That would be dangerous to the mother's and child's health. :D

But on a serious note, I learned when I was 5, and you can bet that my kids will be learning at least by age 5 (no kids yet).

I know one guy that taught his son at a very young age and he was a great marksmen at age 4 when I saw him shooting once. And his son, at age 4, was completely capable of shooting "by himself". Meaning, that his dad could be loading mags and doing his own shooting while the son was shooting his .22 rifle.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I think starting age depends on the individual kid. One of my sons was ready two years before the other. I also think it is important to not push guns onto kids. I always made the offer and let them decide. Both of our sons and both our daughters are firearms people.

I know a guy who had a dad that was, and still, is a "self proclaimed" ex marine vietnam vetran mocho idiotic fool. We later learned his dad was in fact in the marines- for four weeks before deserting during boot camp at MCRDSD. He made his son shoot a 12 gauge over and over one day when the guy was five or six. To this day the guy has a horrible fear of shooting guns even though he still does so. He is a grown man now and has made big time improvements but his dad almost ruined it for him. Just a thought some people do not consider.

Even with proper training and instruction with firearms, BB guns and pellet guns get more kids in trouble than any other. They WILL do stupid stuff with BB guns that they would not do with a firearm. :twocents:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Shot my first rabbit at age 3, squirrel at age 8. My oldst grandson shot his first squirrel last yars at age 8 - he's been shooting with grandpa since he was 4. First a bb gun, then a pellet gun, then a 22, then a 410. I have a son that didn't shoot until he was a teenager - didn't have the desire or aptitude. Some should never have a weapon in their hands.

Old Greg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    I think that teaching your children proper firearm use is important and it seems like you're handling it in the correct manner. My father made firearm use and safety very clear to me at a young age and I am thankful he did. Keep up the good work.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    I began shooting at 5 and have never had any problems. I am much safer than almost everyone i know but most of the people I hang out with do not own guns.

Just start with a bolt action 22 rifle one round at a time with constant supervision and all will be well. more guns as the responsibility increases.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    My father, took me into the field one afternoon when I was 8 yrs old, put his korean era colt 45 in my right hand pointed in a safe direction and said pull the trigger, knocked me on my ass, he thought it was funny as hell and made me do it again and again, I've loved the 45 ever since, You have to remember this is in 1961, and every farmer had at least a few guns and everyone was expected to know how to shoot them! In today's world you have to worry about liability, I tought my son when he was 8 yrs old also, first they have to understand it's not like on t.v., the dead will not return the next show, I believe that once a child shows the desire to learn about wepons, that they need to be trained about wepons, it's better to be taught by their father (or mother) then by some punk on the street who would want to turn them into a punk like them! THEY ARE NEVER TO YOUNG TO LEARN GUN SAFETYS!!!!!!!!

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    thats all up to you yes proper gun safety is the very first step and quiz them on it to make sure they know. i learned in kindergarden age to shoot it was h&r .410 single shot. somthing that only holds one round is the best thing to start out on that way they learn control to and the weapon doesnt continue to shoot untol you pit another shell in it

Malaggar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Eminence / Monrovia
    Too young...

I was taught gun safety from first grade if not younger... Was allowed to shoot a bit here and there with my dad around 8 or 9... Was shooting fairly regularly by 12-13. I think it probably greatly depends on the parent doing the instructing and the maturity of the child.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    ... first they have to understand it's not like on t.v., the dead will not return the next show, I believe that once a child shows the desire to learn about weapons, that they need to be trained about weapons, it's better to be taught by their father (or mother) then by some punk on the street who would want to turn them into a punk like them! THEY ARE NEVER TO YOUNG TO LEARN GUN SAFETYS!!!!!!!!

I have to agree. Took my nephew and I took his boys out last yr (ages 8 and 13) for their first shooting. On the drive from Anderson to JE Roush Range - I spent asking them questions and going through things to clear from their head any misconceptions from TV land to the real world (like how far a gun can really shot; and that you don't fly 10 ft and die instantly when shot; just how deadly little and big guns really are). They both listened well, and we had a blast shooting - everything from my .22's (LR and revolver), their dad's Glock .40 and a pair of muzzle-loaders I had to verify sights for deer season. (oh and there were lots of dead paper squirrels and deer at the end of the day). The oldest is going w/ me this weekend for his first squirrel hunt / deer scouting trip (after we check HIS marlin's sights ...)

Dispelling the myths of TV and movies and video games is probably one of the biggest things for a kid to be ready. I like the idea of starting early and working your way up from the red ryder to a pellet gun to a .22 / 20 ga. etc.

Keep up the good work everyone! we all need to pass this on! ...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Me and my father both were raised about the same, him a couple years younger than me, he had his own .410 at age 8, I didn't actually own my own gun until I detasseled and bought an 870 at 14, but I started shooting real guns around 8, and BB/pellet guns around 6 or so.

We've got about the same program mapped out for my son, BB gun around 6, Cricket or other single shot .22 around 8 or so, deer hunting by 13...

I was never allowed to have toys guns of any kind when I was a kid (some bright plastic squirt guns squeaked by, just because dad is a big kid too), and I think I'll probably hold that line with my son as well. When there's real guns around, even secure and locked, nobody needs to "play" guns. Even our BB guns were locked in a cabinet out of reach...

Never to early to start the education and mindset though. My 3 year old sees guns on TV and says "I don't touch guns", and that's exactly right.

Last edited:

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    i have taken my to kids shooting. my son 8 loves it, he has shot a .40 a 9mm and a.22 pretty decent i might add. my daughter 10 has shot the .22 a few times and doesnt seem into it. both have been through a training class on firearm safety and are both very awary of the danger. if you are responsible, teach them and make them aware of the dangers and power of a weapon everything will be good.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    An additional "serious safety warning" to this thread. I already mentioned I grew up in a "gun" house. When I was about 12 or 13 another buy I went to church with was at a friend's house, and they found the friends' dad's loaded .357 (apparently there were 3 or 4 boys involved). None of them were familiar with guns, and were passing it around, showing it off, etc. At some point a little tug-o-war ensued, and the gun went off, hit my friend in the head, and killed him.
    Apparently some time later, at church, his mother had a conversation with my father about how "bad" and "evil" guns are, and what was he going to do WHEN something like that happened at our house.
    My dad explained to her it would never happen, me and my sister had been taught gun safety from a very young age, and knew better than to handle ANY gun without supervision, and went on the inform her that had I been present when that situation came up, it probably never would have happened, because an adult would have been notified immediately, and the other kids would have been firmly told to leave the gun alone.

Gun safety saves lives. Gun ignorance is NOT bliss.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My 5-year old daughter had her first experience shooting my 10/22 rifle this past Monday (Labor Day.) She's been exposed to guns (empty and only with permission) since she was 2 and she's been just fine with them (the boys, we're going to have to watch a little more). She had been asking when I would teach her how to shoot and the opportunity came around and I did.

It was very controlled, proceeded slow and spaced out to give her comfort, and she did just fine. She did everything I told her to do without question. The gun was a bit large for her so there was a generous amount of help on my part to hold and stabilize the gun while she aimed and squeezed the trigger. She capped off a couple of 10-round mags, hit the target several times, and was, generally pleased. She was surprised and how hard it was to hit a target (25 yards). With practice, she'll get better, but hey, it was her first time.

She's always respected our limits with her handling guns and has shown no propincity (sp) to pick one up or play with one without our permission (an empty one laid out purposefully, and watched continuously, to see how she would react around it). She has always asked permission to 'hold it' in light of our rules of 'empty and only with one of us (a parent) around.' :yesway:

I look forward to helping her shoot again and to the time when I can teach both of my boys (3 & 2) how to shoot some day as well. Personally, it's not an age thing, but rather a trust and maturity issue for when to teach a child how to shoot a gun. If one can show responsibility for safety around and respect for a gun, then they have earned the right to move forward. Kids will grow up with what you teach them, be it maturity & responsibility or carelessness & reckless. :twocents:

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Tell your ex-cop father in law to **** up a rope. I gave each of my sons an AR when they turned 9. They shoot like little adults and use the up most responsibility when handling weapons. When they are responsible enough is the answer, not whether they are old enough.

Top Bottom