How will you bake when the "grid goes down"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    dig a pit

start a fire

let it burn down to coals

wrap food in foil and other items and place over the coals...

cover them up and come back in a few hours to a very warm and moist meal.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Dutch ovens are extremely versatile. I have used them to fry, grill, boil and bake. One year wife and I used three to make the entire Thanksgiving dinner.

Two tactics to keep the bottom from scorching while using as oven, use three or four rocks to keep a pie pan off the bottom, or have coals only on sides and lid.

I have never tried a solar oven. Can anyone recommend plans?

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I don't know why you guys make this so complicated!

In a SHTF, baking is easier than you guys make it to be

easybakerecallpromoimage.jpg

:twocents:

GrumpyUnk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Jackson County
    I have one of the collapsible Coleman stovetop units that works ok. Really small though. Burnt the crap out of biscuits using the Dutch Oven the only time I tried it, so thanks for the tips.

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    Most people believe that cooking with a dutch oven is hard. Most of these people have tried cooking over a fire with nice hot flames and had bad results.

When stewing and such cooking over hot coals is great, never over a flame, but when I am baking I want coals on the bottom and the lid to even out the temperature so that the bottom and top of the bread, biscuits, etc... cook evenly.

A good sight for those just starting with the dutch oven is:

Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes

It is a good starting place and will give you many recipes to play with. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Thank you,

Lynn

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I will have to dig up the exact method, it's written down somewhere in my stuff but when I was just a kid, (Boy Scout) I had a leader who showed us how to bake a peach cobbler using bisquick and canned peaches in a dutch oven using only 7 charcoal briquettes, three on the bottom and 4 on the top. Never burnt, always yummy..

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I will have to dig up the exact method, it's written down somewhere in my stuff but when I was just a kid, (Boy Scout) I had a leader who showed us how to bake a peach cobbler using bisquick and canned peaches in a dutch oven using only 7 charcoal briquettes, three on the bottom and 4 on the top. Never burnt, always yummy..

This is exactly how we make our cobblers when we go camping, and we also use dutch ovens..or what we actually use is Lodge cookware. Its relatively inexpensive and is practical a tank durability wise. We've cooked alot of stuff on these, cant speak high enough of them. :yesway:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Dutch oven,Coleman oven,Solar oven,foil,ceramic wood oven,wood stove or make a vented sheet metal box and put it over a fire.

Baking is temperature control for x period of time.If you can make a fire you can bake.

Top Bottom