• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I have a couple of packs of plastic worms. I know how to slide a hook in them and make them weedless.

What I want to know is about the weights/sinkers and how to use them with plastic worms.

Should I put the sinker right next to the worms or should I put the sinker up the line away from the worm?

Will Bass go after plastic worms that float on top of the water? Will Bass go after the worms that are under the water or completely on the bottom?

I'm a newbie to plastic worms. What's the best way for me to use them for Bass? Keep them on top of the water, under the water or on the bottom?

Also, why do some fishermen have sinkers that slide up and down on the line? Why not just tie the sinker to the line so it doesn't move? Why would you want it to slide up and down?

Any more hints on using plastic worms? Like color, size, etc...?

Thanks!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    You done opened a can of worms now.

Everything you listed and have questions about needs to be learned and is in you bag of tricks to use when needed. Knowing when to need them is the trick.

GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Use as little weight as you need to be able to accurately cast and control it when working the bottom. This amount may change depending on the debris or structure you are in. Sometime it is preferable to swim a worm at or under the surface. When to tell? Practice, the fish will let you know if you are doing it right.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    69   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I Texas rig most of the time. When using worms and most other plastics, like craws and creature baits, I normally fish off of the bottom. It is trial and error and you will eventually figure out what the fish like where you are fishing. Above all else, enjoy your time on the water.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Also consider the "Carolina rig"

th

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've also caught some nice ones, in hotter weather, working an unweighted worm across moss and heavy weed cover.

Lot's of ways to fish soft plastics. As mentioned above, youtube has a bunch of how-to vids.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I have a couple of books on fishing from the library and been reading and watching a lot of videos. I keep reading that plastic worms are some of the best or THE best lure to use for Bass. When I fish next time I may start off with the plastic worms instead of my spinner baits.

I bought some 'Yum' brand worms a few days ago and I have one hook in it. I think it's weedless. The worm has a slot where the point of the hook and lay down in. Can't wait to try it this week!

I also read in a book that Bass hate salamanders. Anybody fish with a plastic salamander? After reading that I want to go buy one.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    Going to share my bread and butter of plastic worms...the wacky worm :): I have caught more largemouth in the last few years using 5" "stick bait" worms than any other plastic. Grab a pack of Gamakatsu finesse wide gap weedless hooks (3/0 or 4/0 size), and give it a try. No weight, hook your worm right in the middle and fish the shallows. I cast it and do a slow stop/go retrieve, with the occasional twitching.

Wacky_Worm_Rig.jpg

Gamakatsu Fishing Hooks > Freshwater > Finesse Wide Gap, Weedless

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Going to share my bread and butter of plastic worms...the wacky worm :): I have caught more largemouth in the last few years using 5" "stick bait" worms than any other plastic. Grab a pack of Gamakatsu finesse wide gap weedless hooks (3/0 or 4/0 size), and give it a try. No weight, hook your worm right in the middle and fish the shallows. I cast it and do a slow stop/go retrieve, with the occasional twitching.

Cool. I'll try it some time this week when I get the chance.

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus

Wacky_Worm_Rig.jpg

Gamakatsu Fishing Hooks > Freshwater > Finesse Wide Gap, Weedless

The rig is the pic is a Wacky rig. Find a tiny O-ring and slide that over the worm then just run the hook under the O-ring. It will save you many, many worms. When it comes to T-rigging, use the smallest weight that the wind will allow. If it is calm, you don't need a large weight vs when it is windy. Also there are so many different brands and colors to choose from, Yum, Zoom, Net Bait, Gary Yam, all make good baits. Get some craws and senkos and maybe some 8 to 10" worms for mid summer. Natural colors when the water is clear and darker when it there is less visibility. You can get by with watermelon red flake and black and blue. Fisherman will swear by a certain color, but you need to experiment with some and find which work best for your location. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom