How to transport hangun through Ohio to Pennsylvania?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Get a non-resident Utah permit. Gives you 34 states with your Indiana LTCH permit. Ohio included.

Why Utah vs Florida? Seems the Florida non-res would be easier to get, especially for those of us that already meet their training requirements.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Nice site!! thanks for posting! Rep worthy but I am out right now! :D

Haha. Thanks anyway!

Utah gives you more states and is alot cheaper

I'm pretty sure that they both give the same number of states, but there are two states you get with Florida that you don't get with Utah, and two you get with Utah you don't get with Florida. Can't speak to cost differences, though.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

I noticed that the link for Indiana in the Ohio section you pointed us to is broken. So I went looking trying to find out where in the Indiana Code it specifies that Indiana honors the license/permit from each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia. I found that info noted several places, such as on handgunlaw.us, but no place had a link to the relevant IC.

Does anybody else have a link to an official Indiana document stating we honor every state's license? It'd be nice to have that handy, and prolly a good idea to fix the link on Wikipedia if we can.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Does anybody else have a link to an official Indiana document stating we honor every state's license? It'd be nice to have that handy, and prolly a good idea to fix the link on Wikipedia if we can.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I find it funny in a sad way that as an Indiana resident, with an Indiana "License to Carry Handgun" that I would need a Utah or Florida permit to be able to drive through neighboring Ohio to get to Pennsylvannia.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I don't need the Utah permit because I've no intention in stopping in Ohio, barring running out of gas. If something happens there, thanks Ohio for taking away my rights.

I only intend to carry in PA.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    If you have to unload the magazine...what about speedloaders or speed strips for a j-frame or something?

You cannot have any ammo. gun, or device to load a weapon (i.e. magazine, speedloader, stripper clips, etc.) loaded or anywhere with the firearm. So everything should be unoaded, and the ammo and firearm need to be locked seperately NOT ANYWHERE in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle. If it is in a minivan, for example, it all needs to be in the extreme back portion of the vehicle not accesible to driver of vehicle.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Reading these posts brings up a question about the interplay between federal law & Ohio law:

- Ohio law states that the gun & ALL MAGS have to be unloaded along with being placed in a case. If enclosed in a case it doesn't have to be out of reach of driver or passengers.

- As a non-Ohio resident Federal law states just that the magazine has to be removed from the gun (& obviously any chambered round) but the mag does not have to be unloaded. Even if enclosed in a case it has to be inaccessible from the passenger compartment. Is there any place that defines "unloaded" as having the mags unloaded in federal law? I haven't found it.

- Federal law is overriding with the "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof" language.

The way I see it is if you are following all the provisions of federal transport law, you can't be charged in OH with carrying a loaded gun (based on the loaded mag).

If the gun is accessible from the passenger compartment or any single provision of federal law isn't followed then you have to have the mags unloaded & otherwise follow all applicable OH laws.

You have the choice which set of rules you want to follow.

Am I correct in this?

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I used to be a Police Officer in Ohio. The gun must be unloaded, placed in a hard box or case that can be locked. That box/case then must be placed in the trunk of your car. The ammo must be in its own box but does not have to be locked.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I don't need the Utah permit because I've no intention in stopping in Ohio, barring running out of gas. If something happens there, thanks Ohio for taking away my rights.

I only intend to carry in PA.

Up until a few years ago, only Police and Active Military were allowed to carry.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Handgunlaw.us

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

Transporting in Motor Vehicles
    · The transportation of loaded, concealed handguns in motor vehicles is permitted, but strict
    obligations are imposed by the law to protect you and law enforcement. These obligations apply to
    drivers and occupants. These obligations do not apply if you are storing a firearm for any lawful
    purpose and it is not on your person or you are lawfully storing or possessing a firearm in your home.
    You may not have a loaded handgun in the vehicle if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
    If you have a concealed carry permit, you may not transport a loaded, concealed handgun in a vehicle
    unless it is carried in one of the following ways: The loaded handgun is in a holster secured • on the
    person. Ohio law previously required carrying firearms in a holster in plain sight. The “plain sight”
    provision has been removed from the law.
    · The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has
    a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover or
    closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun, or
    · The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed, glove compartment or console,
    · or in a case that is locked.
    Motorcycles fall under the definition of motor vehicles. Thus, the same requirements apply to licensees who
    carry a handgun while on a motorcycle.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Wait - what?

This is a little vague and if generalized, also extremely untrue.

My dad has carried for years. Please explain.

Until Ohio started ussuing permits, only Police and Military were allowed to carry handguns in public. You could carry on your own property or property where you could legaly hunt, gun clubs and other such places but if you walked into a Wal-Mart with a firearm straped to your side, they'd arrest you for it. It's in the old O.R.C. chapter 2923.12 under Carrying a Concealed Weapon before they revised it for permit holders. If I can find my ORC book from when I was in the Ohio Police Academy back 97 I'll snap a pic of it and post it on here so you can read it.

If you know any local LEO's that have been on the job before Ohio started issuing permits, ask them about it.

Like I said this was back before they started permits and just because someone does something for years doesn't mean its legal.

Last edited:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom