How to transport hangun through Ohio to Pennsylvania?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I have an Indiana LTCH. Pennsylvania recognizes Indiana's LTCH, but Ohio does not. When I travel to PA, I have to drive through Ohio.

Is there a simple way to do this?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    If you have to unload the magazine...what about speedloaders or speed strips for a j-frame or something?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    A PA nonresident is not necessary, bc PA recognizes IN. You can't carry through OH, only transport.

From the OH state website: Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
    (1) In a closed package, box, or case;
    (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
    (4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

The thing that could be debated is whether or not a magazine with ammunition in it could be considered "a loaded weapon". If you are truly concerned with the matter, store the ammo in a separate box. Note that nowhere is there anything that states "locked box" or any such business.

Hope this helps.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    To be safe, case up your gun in the trunk with the ammo seperated. The Firearm's Owner's Protection Act allows you to transport through any state as long as you are coming from a state where you legally posses said firearm and your final destination is also a legal place for you to posses said firearm. You must follow the federal guidlines!...The long term solution would be to get a Utah permit, which is recognized in Ohio and other handy states.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Call the Ohio Highway Patrol and ask :dunno:

I would not recommend this.....rarely will one LEO tell you the same thing as another LEO. Most of them are just as confused as we are. And trust me, a cop's not gonna let you off the hook just because you claim that you spoke to them on the phone......:twocents:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    A PA nonresident is not necessary, bc PA recognizes IN. You can't carry through OH, only transport.

From the OH state website: Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
    (1) In a closed package, box, or case;
    (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
    (4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

The thing that could be debated is whether or not a magazine with ammunition in it could be considered "a loaded weapon". If you are truly concerned with the matter, store the ammo in a separate box. Note that nowhere is there anything that states "locked box" or any such business.

Hope this helps.

Rep for posting OH code!

Thanks, folks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When I visit my outlaws in Ohio:

Make sure that we stop near the border. I then will unload my carry firearm (usually my J-frame) and put it in my shooting bag and zip the compartment Shooting bag is in the trunk. The carry ammo will then find it's way into a pair of boots that I have back there, too.

All other firearms are unloaded, mags included, before I pack for the trip. And I double check to be sure that I have a copy of my suppressor's tax stamp.

-J-

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    So i guess this is incorrect information Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :dunno:

I just reread it, it says its last update was in 2004 so i guess they changed the law ???

No, you just read it incorrectly. It says "states that honor this state's permit." and on that list is Indiana. What this means is that Indiana honors the Ohio permit, which we already knew, since Indiana honors all permits/licenses.

Anyway, I'd trust the OH legislative website over wikipedia.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

No, that's not up for debate either.

(5)”Unloaded” means any of the following:
    (a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.
    (b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    No, you just read it incorrectly. It says "states that honor this state's permit." and on that list is Indiana. What this means is that Indiana honors the Ohio permit, which we already knew, since Indiana honors all permits/licenses.

Anyway, I'd trust the OH legislative website over wikipedia.
    I agree with that !!!
    Just asking not arguing, but it says Ohios concealed handgun law allows for reciprocity with other states ? What does that mean ??

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I agree with that !!!
    Just asking not arguing, but it says Ohios concealed handgun law allows for reciprocity with other states ? What does that mean ??

Means the law allows for reciprocity to be set up with states whose permit they choose to honor. Sadly, Indiana is not one of those states.

Top Bottom