• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Just wondering how one would go about installing a tracking device on a vehicle that would give you real time info on the location of that vehicle. Possibly even a smartphone app that you could keep track with.

Any info on specific brands or features? Someone has to make something like this.

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've heard of using a prepaid phone (no monthly fees) and then using the parent tracker software on it. You can rig it straight to the battery so its always on. It's a relativly popular thing to do with guys who have put a lot of money into their cars in the street racing circles.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The technology has been there for years. Companies with large fleets utilize it in ways that are unimaginable.

Big brother is here!

indianabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    lol go ahead and hire you a good divorce attorney now...Verizon has a app also call local cell company they can fill you in how to do it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There are many options. Google it. Some are the size of a keychain with real time tracking. Probably smaller options available now too.
    Att has a couple device options for tracking your children with the ability to call it and they can just push a button to call you.

for a vehicle i would wire your device directly to the battery. Or if the vehicle was coming back every day you could jus mount the device and remove for charging or downloading data.
    you could even take apart a keyless entry and place the device inside. Then whoever your tracking has the device on their person.

or if you have an iPhone just use the find my device app and locate it free

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just wondering how one would go about installing a tracking device on a vehicle that would give you real time info on the location of that vehicle. Possibly even a smartphone app that you could keep track with.

Any info on specific brands or features? Someone has to make something like this.

Well, typically this is a fleet application. The reason why is you need a server, cellular connection, etc.

Qualcomm is the big player in this market.

Actually, I'm developing a system like this right now. (Well, I would be if I wasn't on INGO right now).

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The technology has been there for years. Companies with large fleets utilize it in ways that are unimaginable.

Big brother is here!

All our company trucks have GPS in them. We had a truck stolen in Chicago last year, the people in the office tracked it on the computer while two guys drove to the location while talking to the police on the phone giving them directions. The police caught the guy while he was emptying the tools out. Tazed him.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wish the State could afford to outfit all of its government vehicles with devices such of this. Or, perhaps slightly more economical, all vehicles that are used above a certain mileage plateau.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    8414.jpg

Top Bottom