• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We had a Jack Russell that we broke of digging simply by wearing the dog out as often as possible. He would still get out a few times to run in the woods (mostly killing small woodland creatures) but he wouldn't just randomly dig.

We have a pair of 6 month old Jacks. We take them out every night and let them run in our 2 acre pasture where the grass is almost knee high on me. 20 minutes of that takes all the fight, and all the digging, right outta them.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for all of the advice. We do get them tired a lot, and they have a fairly large fenced in area to run in . They're brother and sister, so they "fight" and play pretty hard. I'm outside with them a bunch, so I can try to catch them in the act. The ground is pretty soft since the area was a garden area until we fenced in the backyard and we're turning it back to grass. I'll take away their shovels and put some cayenne pepper in the hole to see if that helps persuade them to go do something else.

You're screwed. Been fighting this with my 5 year old lab/mutt since he was a pup. I've tried everything mentioned above but have resigned myself to simply filling in the holes from a fill dirt pile I have left over from a previous landscape project.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Put their own crap in the hole, they won't dig in their own crap. Worked for my lab and my lab/german shepherd mix. Eventually they realize every hole they dig fills up with crap.

Unless they decide it's tasty. Then you have two problems.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We had a problem with our youngest dog (she's 8 now) digging under our fence. I took chicken wire and went around the entire fence (about 400-450 feet) putting half the wire on the ground and then about half going up the fence in an "L" shape, staking it to the ground and wiring it to the fence. Approximately 5 minutes after I finished, she discovered she could jump up on the fence and climb over. :n00b:

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    We had a problem with our youngest dog (she's 8 now) digging under our fence. I took chicken wire and went around the entire fence (about 400-450 feet) putting half the wire on the ground and then about half going up the fence in an "L" shape, staking it to the ground and wiring it to the fence. Approximately 5 minutes after I finished, she discovered she could jump up on the fence and climb over. :n00b:
    :laugh:
    Aren't they wonderful? LOL

Top Bottom