• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Background: I have held a lifetime ltch for over a decade. However I rarely, if ever, actually carry a handgun. Of late I am beginning to think that the time may be at hand to seriously consider being armed on a regular basis. I have had limited handgun training - if you can call the minimal training with a .45 while in the military 40 years ago. I also am convinced I owe it to myself and the people around me to obtain proper training if I am going to carry a firearm for personal protection of myself and those in my family or social group. I have several friends that are of the opinion they can just add a gun to there wardrobe and be "totally prepared." I don't agree.

I have signed up for the Introduction to Defensive Pistol course offered by Sheriff Ken Campbell but the course I am enrolled in will not be held until July of this year. Until that time comes I would like to begin trying to improve my handgun skills and shooting accuracy. I'm not saying I want to be the best slow fire pistol shot in Indiana. What I do want to do is have a training regimen that will improve my cqc skills. I will be shooting a Glock 26 or a Colt Defender.

Until I can begin to take formal training is there a resource I can access to help me set up my own training course ? i.e. Target type and size, distance, order of fire, number of rounds,etc. I have a 40 acre rural tract that I can use to set up just about any type of course necessary. My personal goal is to practice enough to begin to shrink my shooting groups and to slowly increase my speed.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Google the TWO THUMBS FORWARD grip, and practice (safely) dry firing about a hundred times a week, with the goal of the sights not moving even a single millimeter through the trigger pull and firing pin drop. Adjust grip and trigger finger as necessary until you have the perfect grip, and memorize and practice the grip. Focus on isolating your trigger finger while squeezing tight with the other nine.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I would recommend you go out with someone who can show you solid techniques and help direct your practice. We can tell you all kinds of stuff on here, but it wont replace 15 minutes with someone who can show you.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Additionally, read up on the four fundamentals of marksmanship: Sight Alighment, Sight Picture, Trigger Control, and Follow Through. Focus your marksmanship practice on those things. Start at close range and make a one-hole group. Increase the range as necessary. Go slow and develop great trigger control.

Watch Paul Gomez's videos on proper draw stroke. (Search his name on YourTube.) Dry practice gun handling and draw stroke. You can find all kinds of dry fire drills if you search around.

Top Bottom