• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Obviously you put your idea out there to see what INGOers thought of it. And apparently, the vast majority didn't think much of the idea. Be careful what you ask for.

I was a first time buyer just a couple of months ago. But that doesn't mean I was an uninformed buyer. I got most of what you are offering at Gander Mountain in Evansville. For free. Then I made a purchase.

And just out of curiosity, what color is the sky in your world???

This is a truly useful constructively critical post! Thank you.

The sky in my world varies. Red at night, sometimes red in morning.

I also know what color my parachute is. ;)

If nothing else, you guys should know that I'm not afraid of mistakes. Even big ones.

I've succeeded only because I've failed forward many times.

Being told my idea sucks won't ruin me or cause me to lose any sleep. It just means my next idea will be that much better.

See, that's how it works when you are the most stubborn SOB around.

Last edited:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    You would think with Don, if there was another way to make a buck, he would have been doing it by now.

Maybe he knows something some of us don't ???

Well, if you only have $150 to spend on your lorcin, raven or bersa, you can't really afford the $50. So, maybe that's what he's thinking.

Hohn, No one thought anyone would ever pay $5 for a cup of coffee either. You can walk out in the woods and hunt for free but that doesn't stop people from paying $800 a day to go hunt pheasants. People pay cover charges at bars every weekend. People pay thousands to join the Columbia Club and there's absolutely no product they get for that---except the privilege to get away from the average joe. For goodness sake, people pay to have their Glock cleaned at the 1500--WHAT?!

Your gun store may not work, but it won't be because of a cover charge. Charging for better service or to join a privileged (perceived or real) group is a time-tested, proven tactic in this country. Maybe your shop won't be filled with the People of Walmart but the customers you will have won't be wasting your time.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I would tell you that you are high, thinking I'm paying to step into your store of know it all sales staff.

I know I am not the smartest in the firearms community, but I know I am not going to pay for advice... Or in some cases, for some assclown behind a counter to tell me "what I really want is a _____"

No one should pay to go into a shop. I saw a few pages back a guy mentioned running a bike shop, and he was always good to his people. I remember going into a bike shop when I was younger, and the owner was AWESOME. Even as young teens, we were allowed to come in and work on our bikes, hang out (sometimes for a few hours as we would sometimes pitch in on pizza), and anything else. He looked out for us, making sure we always had a bike tube or chain if we needed it. Also got ran out by big box stores.

My point is, talking to a salesman shouldnt cost me anything other than my time. I shouldnt, and WILL NOT pay to look at your inventory, thats just absurd. Take care of your customers, they will usually take care of you. If your staff are good, they are worth waiting for.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    If you won't pay the small, refundable cover charge, then it's simple: YOU are not my target market.

Perhaps you should be posting your business plan on a first-time-gun-buyers forum if that's your "target" market. Good luck finding one of those.

Posting this inane business plan here on INGO gave you the overwhelming opinion that it's a horrible idea. If you choose to ignore that, that's your decision. If you do get a shop up and running, I can assure you, with no MBA, that it won't last as long as you are charging a cover.

*I* am the one that's out of touch.

With regard to this particular business plan, absolutely.

In my world, 20-30 rabidly satisfied customers who will rave about the outstanding, individualized attention they got at a great price in a way that took the minimum amount of their time possible beats having 100 INGOers engaging in online urinary olympics about my store compared to others stores.

20-30 customers is a bit optimistic but hey, we all have goals. :)

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I myself have an MBA, and a lot of experience in marketing, and the sporting goods industry.....40+ years, and I'm not going to argue every point, but I'll tell you what you'll hear, after you've implimented all your proposals, after securing a rather large bank loan, or tied up family money. Crickets. When you're paying back the bank, or relatives, it's the last sound you want to hear.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why would I pay to browse? What if you don't have the gun I want and I'm out the cash?

Today's tire kickers are tomorrow's buyers. I was in Beech Grove Firearms probably half a dozen times before I bought a gun from them. I "kicked the tires" on various S&W revolvers but could never get past the keyhole. I "kicked the tires" on a few 1911s, but none were nicer than what I already had. Then I "kicked the tires" on a Wiley Clapp GP100 and bought it.

I've kicked the tires on a few guns at Indy Trading Post. I never bought a gun from them, but I've bought ammo. I wouldn't have stopped in had they had a "browsing fee", and I bet they've made more on me in bullets than they would have on an admission charge. Plus, I've brought friends in who've bought holsters and ammunition. Wouldn't have done that with a "browsing fee".

I think you're right on one point. You'll have plenty of one-on-one time to dedicate to your customers. Maybe not enough customers to run a viable business, but definitely plenty of time for the ones you get, based on the comments here.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Well, this thread has been educational, if nothing else. I learned I'd rather open a Milton Friedman bookstore at UC Boulder than try to stand between a veteran gun owner and the limitless coonfingering and cheap ammo that are his Constitutional rights.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I myself have an MBA, and a lot of experience in marketing, and the sporting goods industry.....40+ years, and I'm not going to argue every point, but I'll tell you what you'll hear, after you've implimented all your proposals, after securing a rather large bank loan, or tied up family money. Crickets. When you're paying back the bank, or relatives, it's the last sound you want to hear.

Oh, I don't actually plan on opening a gun shop. I've got far too much sense for that. ;)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Terrible idea. You're charging customers for a sales opportunity.

Thank you! Finally, someone with the ability to vouch a valid criticism in cogent terms!

THAT is the valid criticism and the root of why this idea isn't a good one.

Rep coming.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Good luck with that, OP.

My :twocents:

Last fall I stopped in Bradis to look around. I was looking for a carry gun for myself and was also checking out 3 other models for a friend who couldn't come with me.

I told the guy behind the counter I was looking at these guns for a friend so he knew I had no intention of buying them. You know what the guy behind the counter at Bradis did? He showed me all three brands of guns and each type of it they had. He was super nice about showing me each of the guns I asked to see. That's what good customer service is all about.

I don't live near Bradis but I will be sure to stop in when I am in the area again. I will also be sure to tell anyone who asks how good their customer service is.

Some may think the salesman at Bradis wasted his time with me since I didn't buy anything. I would like to think of it as he created goodwill by being helpful.

billyramair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Columbus area
    Nothing personal, but people who have payed way too much money for a degree, without working in the real world, seeing how things work, before they are handed the reins to a company, are ruining american mfg. and business today. I know they aren't all that way, but I'd say the majority are, by the way, your customers would be served quickly, for the short time you were open, because very few people that buy guns regularly would shop there.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Nothing personal, but people who have payed way too much money for a degree, without working in the real world, seeing how things work, before they are handed the reins to a company, are ruining american mfg. and business today. I know they aren't all that way, but I'd say the majority are, by the way, your customers would be served quickly, for the short time you were open, because very few people that buy guns regularly would shop there.

You would be correct that quite a few are in that boat. There are also far too many professors that aren't a whole lot older than the majority of students (or if you go to a commuter school, professors younger than many of the students) that have never worked outside of academia. Textbooks don't always translate into the real world.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

While I do not believe that Hohn's idea would necessarily work in the majority of gun store models, the fact is he is floating a new and interesting idea and thinking out of the box. This is what school can be good for: NOT guarantee's but the ability to think about solving problems in creative ways!

Thomas Edison suffered thousands of failures because he knew that each failure brought him one step closer to success. So bully for the person who is willing to try.

To those who are naysayers: what if his store offered a minimum of 10,000 firearms to peruse? Would it then be worth your while? What if it were 20,000 firearms? This would mean he had a store the size of Walmart with nothing but guns! All for $5.

Context can be such a contributing factor to an idea.

Personally, I believe that his identification of a problem is accurate in some cases while his solution needs... refinement.

While I was in Europe they have certain stores that are marked with a special sign. The sign means "no browsing." Customers know what they want, come in and buy it, and leave. Want to look around? You are kindly encouraged to find the exit. THESE BUSINESSES STAY IN BUSINESS AND THRIVE!!! Perhaps this business model could work in certain segments of the American market. Perhaps not.

Whether I agree with the concept or not doesn't change the fact that I applaud the courage and creativity to entertain new ideas to solve old problems. This is how progress is made.

Regards,

Doug

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    Maybe instead of a cover charge you could have an express counter for customers who know what they want and want to get in and out so they can hit the range with their new gun.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You would be correct that quite a few are in that boat. There are also far too many professors that aren't a whole lot older than the majority of students (or if you go to a commuter school, professors younger than many of the students) that have never worked outside of academia. Textbooks don't always translate into the real world.

Sure, and with 20 years of real world work experience, I can vouch for the fact that textbooks are pretty worthless in the real world.

But that fact doesn't mean that people whose only "education" is working for 30 or 40 years are somehow some kinds of genius because they have a PHd from the school of hard knocks.

Age can bring wisdom-- but generally only to the wise. There are plenty of experienced fools.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    To All,

While I do not believe that Hohn's idea would necessarily work in the majority of gun store models, the fact is he is floating a new and interesting idea and thinking out of the box. This is what school can be good for: NOT guarantee's but the ability to think about solving problems in creative ways!

Thomas Edison suffered thousands of failures because he knew that each failure brought him one step closer to success. So bully for the person who is willing to try.

To those who are naysayers: what if his store offered a minimum of 10,000 firearms to peruse? Would it then be worth your while? What if it were 20,000 firearms? This would mean he had a store the size of Walmart with nothing but guns! All for $5. At that point he would be effectively cornering one aspect of the market;offering something nobody else can. Therefore, he would be able to charge additional or higher prices because he would have no competition for that.

Context can be such a contributing factor to an idea.

Personally, I believe that his identification of a problem is accurate in some cases while his solution needs... refinement.

While I was in Europe they have certain stores that are marked with a special sign. The sign means "no browsing." Customers know what they want, come in and buy it, and leave. Want to look around? You are kindly encouraged to find the exit. THESE BUSINESSES STAY IN BUSINESS AND THRIVE!!! Perhaps this business model could work in certain segments of the American market. Perhaps not. I would contest absolutely not. Different continent, different culture, different consumer expectations. Depending on the country you're referring to, they could be a MORE individualistic culture than our own which means they don't WANT service. Even the mighty WalMart failed tremendously in other countries, particularly Germany, by failing to realize all of the different cultural aspects which affect the market and consumers. Germans don't want others touching their goods. They don't want smiles and friendly service. They WANT to go in, get what they want, and get out. They are more individualistic than the US.

Whether I agree with the concept or not doesn't change the fact that I applaud the courage and creativity to entertain new ideas to solve old problems. This is how progress is made.

Regards,

Doug

My :twocents: above in RED

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Don's guns WILL NOT give prices over the phone. No offense to the MBA crap, but an MBA in my experience means you paid money for a degree that says you know business administration. ADMINISTRATION is the key word. doing business is entirely different. Its not all about price, its about a mixture of things, some customers want attention, some dont, some people want to feel like they are special, some want the cheapest price, its all different, there is no cure all when it comes to business, this is KEY, you will NEVER have a business plan that will attract all types of buyers. here it is. Charge a price you feel is fair, then provide the service you feel is fair, if you go bankrupt, then you are either failing in service or price. location has a lot to do with this as well. Experience is also a key. Being liked has way more to do with it than most people think. People will buy CRAP from people they like, and will pass on quality if they dont get a good vibe. this is the beauty of business, its always changing, its dynamic, yet MBA courses dont teach this kind of real world stuff. I hate to say, but i've known so many people with NO DEGREE that sell that crap out of stuff, good quality and bad, and have had no b.s. college courses. its not about schooling. its about experience and knowing the market and having vision. some people have it, most dont.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Don's guns WILL NOT give prices over the phone. No offense to the MBA crap, but an MBA in my experience means you paid money for a degree that says you know business administration. ADMINISTRATION is the key word. doing business is entirely different. Its not all about price, its about a mixture of things, some customers want attention, some dont, some people want to feel like they are special, some want the cheapest price, its all different, there is no cure all when it comes to business, this is KEY, you will NEVER have a business plan that will attract all types of buyers. here it is. Charge a price you feel is fair, then provide the service you feel is fair, if you go bankrupt, then you are either failing in service or price. location has a lot to do with this as well. Experience is also a key. Being liked has way more to do with it than most people think. People will buy CRAP from people they like, and will pass on quality if they dont get a good vibe. this is the beauty of business, its always changing, its dynamic, yet MBA courses dont teach this kind of real world stuff. I hate to say, but i've known so many people with NO DEGREE that sell that crap out of stuff, good quality and bad, and have had no b.s. college courses. its not about schooling. its about experience and knowing the market and having vision. some people have it, most dont.

EH....and MBA means nothing really. I know guys with MBA's which didn't get them anywhere. I also know guys with merely a Bachelor's who are senior executives for large international companies. Education isn't everything. Experience isn't everything. Motivation and the willingness to learn, adapt, and improve makes the difference.

Top Bottom