• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    When I came home from the Army in Aug 69, things were a LOT different than now. Frequently, a new civilian hid, or just didn't tell, the fact they had recently been in the service. And, you had to be careful who you were talking to if you had been in Nam. A lot of people were angry then.

Now, the military men and women come home to ha heroes welcome, and I am glad to see that. It is kind of a return to when the WW2 soldiers came home.

For you fellow veterans, what is your reply, if any, when someone says, "Thank you for your service".

I'm not sure what response to give. "You're welcome", doesn't sound right to me.

What's your reply?

And thanks for your service from an old Army veteran.

Redtbird

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    You don't need to reply. Leave it there, hanging in the air. People don't expect you to reply. Maybe a head nod.

If they buy you a drink, THEN say thank you.

Bull1315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Your right, "your welcome" doesnt seem right to me either. When someone thanks me, It seems a little awkward on what to say. I usually just shake their hand and try to thank them for taking the time to acknowledge it.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I usually say, "No thanks necessary. It was a choice. But thanks for the appreciation." OR, I Just give a head nod & a smile, Then I say, "Thank you".

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am not a veteran, but as someone who has thanked many veterans, I will say that you don't need to say anything. Just know that your service did not/does not go unappreciated.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    When I express my thanks I never expect any comment in return. It is not needed.

I truly cannot thank enough vets for their service. Last weekend we were in Cincy for Card vs Reds games when they honored Purple Heart recipients. Maybe I am a softy, but my eyes teared up as I did my small part to show my appreciation. That appreciation is never enough.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Thank YOU Redtbird for your service. I grew up in the 60's and never thought that the troops coming back from Nam got the Heros welcome they deserved.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    Thank YOU Redtbird for your service. I grew up in the 60's and never thought that the troops coming back from Nam got the Heros welcome they deserved.
    I'll second that. I wasn't alive during the Vietnam era, but simply hearing how the Vets were treated still turns my stomach. Thank you Redtbird, and thank you to all Vietnam veterans on this board, you answered the call when many tried to ignore it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I try to thank those I identify in the ER as active for former military. I usually go beyond a "thank you for your service" ad add something like "I appreciate you keeping my couhtry and family safe"

i don't expect a response other than a smile and a nod, though there's usually a handshake involved

i will sometimes see spouses in the ER who have deployed husbands or wives. I give them all the time they need and try to go above and beyond with humble service.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I'm a Korea Vet. The Forgotten War. Don't recall being loved or hated when I got home in '55. Me and some buds ran around for a while drinking beer and shooting "varmints". Laws were a lot more lenient then and MADD and DUI hadn't been invented yet. Got tired of that and went to work.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I am not a veteran, but as someone who has thanked many veterans, I will say that you don't need to say anything. Just know that your service did not/does not go unappreciated.

Agreed. I gather we as a society have grown a bit since then, and appreciate the sacrifices you have made. No response is necessary, as it is us, who are showing appreciation to you.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I get many people thanking my for my service when I never served. I wear a lot of 7.62 design and ranger up shirts. Plus being in a wheelchair and carrying an SOE bag with a special forces and medical patch people think I served. The patches were a gift from my brother who was SF and served for 12 years. I had a car wreck 3 days before I would have signed up for the army.

I inform them I did not serve in the armed forces, but I appreciate that they support and care for our service members. I thank our service members everytime I am able to do so.

no response is needed when I thank a service member

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Unless the situation warrants for more communication/discussion, I tend to respond with a simple "thank YOU" (emphasis on the "you") in return, just to signify my gratefulness of their recognizing uniformed men's efforts, whether it's mine or anyone else's.

Top Bottom