• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    my dad swears by his lcp and 9mm keltec, which make great back up's but not for a main weapon.

he doesn't even carry!!!!!

my mom recently got her carry permit and im trying to tell her not to buy a mouse gun but everytime i bring it up she says, well ur father says... to get a little 380...

how the heck to i get him off this mind set that a mouse gun is not sufficent for a main carry weapon, and that a sr9c or subcompact glock/m&p etc. is a much better choice?

he's even possibly convinced her to get one of those micro sigs, which i really want for my back up weapon.. but seriously, how the heck to i convince him other wise. every tiem he goes to the range he shoots my fn45 and sr9c and is amazed at how much easier they are to handle yet refuses to acknoledge the fact that a subcompact is just as easy to conceal as a mouse gun....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    except that he is making a choice for my mom with out letting her have any insight.

god, i old people....

well i guess 20/20 it's alot better now if all we argue about are is guns.

i just think it's silly he's bought 3 mouse guns, says they hurt to shoot yet still refuses to trade up to something a little bigger.

forwheeler120

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    HOBART, IN
    It is all about choices. I had a 380 that I traded for my 40 sigma, which I carry and love. I feel safer carrying a larger caliber, but it is still personal preference. What works for one may not work for another.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    If you are willing to bet your life on a micro sig, why can't your mom? If you are saying you would use it as a back up gun, that means you would use it defensively if you were unable to get to your other gun for whatever reason (too many potential scenarios to mention here). Why can't she use it defensively?

I know what you are saying that a larger 9mm would be easier to shoot, but the others that they are looking at are adequate for defensive purposes. The chances of them using it in a defensive scenario are slim and needing several rounds are even slimmer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A foolproof method nearly guaranteed to work for the stubbornest. It will require an investment. One that a monetary value cannot be placed on if your folks ever have to actually use their guns.

Send them to defensive pistol classes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    good idea, she already dobts what my dad says after taking the ohio ccw class with me and the officer teaching it was very against keeping a mouse gun for a main weapon.. i just need to get her to the range w/o my old mans intervention

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    It would seem that the easiest way would be to take either/both of them out shooting and let them fire a couple of your larger guns "just to try them out". If they like them, you will have gone a long way towards convincing them that they should consider the larger firearms.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    good idea, she already dobts what my dad says after taking the ohio ccw class with me and the officer teaching it was very against keeping a mouse gun for a main weapon.. i just need to get her to the range w/o my old mans intervention

Make it a family thing. All three of you could go to defensive pistol classes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    last time i went to a defensive training class was for hand to hand combat, it's been 3 years since i've been to a weapons class. i guess i could use a refresher.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    last time i went to a defensive training class was for hand to hand combat, it's been 3 years since i've been to a weapons class. i guess i could use a refresher.

It'd give you guys a good topic of discussion, as opposed to you raggin on the ol' man. Never know, your folks my take a liking to it and pursue. Next thing you know, pop may actually have good gun advice for you.

slmlrd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Better to have a mouse gun and carry it all the time than to have a larger gun and leave it at home or in the car.

I would make sure they are comfortable and accurate with the weaons they do carry. My Dad has a Colt .380 and never carries it. Drive me crazy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    ya my dad never carries either, i asked him why he wasted his money on the classes and permit if he doesn't want to carry..

he told me it's incase they take carry permits away...

i said if it gets to that it's not going to matter sheet will hit the fan if they take them away...:n00b:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Personal choice, its up to them. Offering information and letting them choose is the best you can do. The pistol classes idea has alot of merit.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    i just think it's silly he's bought 3 mouse guns, says they hurt to shoot yet still refuses to trade up to something a little bigger.

I keep having the same argument with my wife. She carries a .44 Smith; I keep telling her that any caliber that doesn't start with a "5" is just going to make the bad guys angry. I carry a .50 Desert Eagle when I have to CC, but really consider it marginal. I much prefer to OC my .50 BMG pistol. I can't believe all the people on this forum who advocate wimpy mouse guns like .40 SW and 10mm.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have a PF9. Why is this bad for a main carry gun? Last I knew 9mm was a pretty good round.

I also carry a Kel-tec PF9 when I can't carry my G23. It is small, and not one that you would take to the range every weekend, but I feel comfortable enough that it will go "Bang" when i squeeze the trigger. Honestly, whats a larger gun in the same caliber going to benefit them in a defensive situation?

Now the .380, I am not a fan of at all. I have my reasons. But many on this board swear by them. And after all, a .380 is better than picking up a hand full of rocks and throwing them at the bad guy.

If your dad really likes his LCP, maybe take him and your mom to your local FFL and try out a LCR. You may be able to convince them to buy one since it is the same manufacturer as the LCP. There are lots of good reliable ammo choices in .38 spl.

Top Bottom