Not open for further replies.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So Downzero,
    Your telling me that the ACLU is going all out to PROTECT the free speech of preachers to say "the bible is against Gays" and other so-called Hate speech?

I DONT THINK SO!

Google "ACLU KKK"... here's one such article:

CLEVELAND -- The American Civil Liberties Union today praised the Cleveland Mayor Michael White for his efforts to protect the First Amendment right of marchers scheduled to rally in Cleveland later this month.

The August 21st rally by the Ku Klux Klan has been the source of considerable controversy, with some community leaders critical of the decision to allow the Klan to march at all. Others have criticized the mayor for a decision allowing Klansmen to use a police garage to don their robes and hoods.

Rest at source.

The ACLU defends hate speech all the time. Free speech is one of their "things" (the other being church/state separation).

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So Downzero,
    Your telling me that the ACLU is going all out to PROTECT the free speech of preachers to say "the bible is against Gays" and other so-called Hate speech?

I DONT THINK SO!

More to the point, the ACLU filed suit on behalf of "God hates fags" preacher Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church:

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit Friday in the U.S. District Court in Jefferson City, Mo., on behalf of the fundamentalist Westboro Baptist Church, which has outraged mourning communities by picketing service members' funerals with signs condemning homosexuality.

So yeah... I think so.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for that Clintonian comment. It added so much.
    It's not Clintonian at all. If the ACLU files suit against the government for quashing someone like Fred Phelps, is society helped or harmed? In one sense, it is helped because free speech is protected, even if it is really really offensive speech. In another sense, it is harmed, because it encourages whackjobs like Fred Phelps to see how far they can push it.

Likewise, if the ACLU files suit against the government for allowing some judge to post religious text like the 10 Commandments in his courtroom, there is a similar help/harm dichotomy depending on your perspective. So it really does depend on what you define as "harm".

It also depends on what you define as "society", because if you include government as part of society, you're really mixing turds with apples. The average liberal defines "society" differently from the average conservative, and libertarians tend to deny the existence of "society" except in the abstract.

What about this is difficult to understand?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It's not Clintonian at all. If the ACLU files suit against the government for quashing someone like Fred Phelps, is society helped or harmed?
    I would say neither. I think they are so despicable, their behavior so egregious, that the world would be a better place without them. So I say any harm would be balanced by the good.

Likewise, if the ACLU files suit against the government for allowing some judge to post religious text like the 10 Commandments in his courtroom, there is a similar help/harm dichotomy depending on your perspective. So it really does depend on what you define as "harm".
    How is it possible for anyone to be harmed by the posting of the 10 commandments. Humanity has mostly ignored their existence through out the ages. The only people that complain are attention seeking whack jobs. I also find it the height of hypocrisy for the SCOTUS to make the rulings they do, when they have multiple copies of them through their own building.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The ACLU has done so much to side with flag burners, hate speakers, anti-religionists, anti-gun advocates. How often do they come down on the side of the rest of the first two Amendments? How has advocating the legal killing of babies and the silencing of those who wish to protest that behavior been a boon to society?

Please someone, cite a positive intervention of the ACLU on 2nd Amendment rights.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The ACLU has done so much to side with flag burners, hate speakers, anti-religionists, anti-gun advocates. How often do they come down on the side of the rest of the first two Amendments? How has advocating the legal killing of babies and the silencing of those who wish to protest that behavior been a boon to society?

Please someone, cite a positive intervention of the ACLU on 2nd Amendment rights.

Here, let me google that for you:

The American Civil Liberties Union is petitioning a court to help an 85-year-old man get his guns back from the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Rest at source.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oh hey, here's another one:

SINCE "THE constitutional right to bear arms The right to bear arms refers to the right that individuals have to weapons. This right is often presented in the context of military service and the broader right of self defense. is primarily a collective one," the American Civil Liberties Union American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), nonpartisan organization devoted to the preservation and extension of the basic rights set forth in the U.S. Constitution. has said, the extent to which the government should restrict gun ownership "is a question left open by the Constitution." In an apparent break with this longstanding position, the ACLU ACLU: see American Civil Liberties Union. of Texas is defending the right of motorists to carry guns in their cars.
    And another:

A New Orleans man is suing the city and its district attorney for refusing to give back a gun that police seized when he was arrested on drug and firearms charges.

The American Civil Liberties Union on Thursday filed the federal suit on behalf of Errol Houston Jr., who was arrested last year following a traffic stop.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom