• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I put a nasty scratch on the belt i normally wear for work while taking a holster off. I'm not sure what happened, but it wore through the finish quickly. Any recommendations on how to cover the scratch? Is it feasible to re-dye the leather somehow and it not look like butt?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Probably 90% of the posts here that don't involve Rhino cutting himself can be resolved via Google or Armslist, but I'd rather see what people I know to have a track record on giving good info have to say, as opposed to random interwebs folks have to say about the topic. If that fails, off to Google I go.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I put a nasty scratch on the belt i normally wear for work while taking a holster off. I'm not sure what happened, but it wore through the finish quickly. Any recommendations on how to cover the scratch? Is it feasible to re-dye the leather somehow and it not look like butt?

Black belt or brown? If brown, the scratch is likely to absorb more dye than the surrounding leather effectively highlighting the scratch rather than covering it.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    As I see it, this is the perfect opportunity to either:

A. Buy a new belt
    B. Stop wearing pants.

As you can see I scratched my belt a long time ago.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Do they make Kiwi Leather Scuff cover in the color of your belt (it says it comes in brown, but that may not be light enough)? I use it for my duty belts and boots, but they are black. It covers scratches and worn spots quite well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As I see it, this is the perfect opportunity to either:

A. Buy a new belt
    B. Stop wearing pants.

As you can see I scratched my belt a long time ago.

You know, I don't see anything in General Orders about detectives having to wear pants. Tie and have jacket available, no denim...seems like I'm good.

Just not sure where to hook the radio....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Trying to blend would be difficult.
    You could try a light dye. Have a rag available when applying. Leave dye on only a short time, then wipe. The longer you leave dye on, the darker it gets (to a point). Let sit to check color.
    Repeat with longer times if needed.
    When close enough, reseal.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    In all seriousness, how light brown, and how bad are the scratches? Surely with your background, you know the quick easy fix is shoe polish, but depending on the severity of the scratches, and the value of the belt, then look at a leather dye that is a couple of shades lighter than the belt, then, apply sparingly a first coat (very light) for color match, then go from there! Or, keister it...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    BBI, even if you color the scratch correctly how bad is the scratch? I had this happen to some boots and it became a bad wear point.

I would try putting mink oil (on the whole belt maybe) on just the scratch as it'll help with it, but it does change color where it's applied and darkens greatly. Anything made for leather boots I'd think would work well. I have zero experience with this and belts but I have had issues such as this with many pairs of boots.

A friend of mine had this happen to a horse saddle and they used some form of tanning substance I think it was, or something for serious leather treatment. After that he just conditioned it as normal like he would to the whole thing and while you could see the scratch I was impressed with the after effect. I will shoot him and text and see what he used...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The scratch where the holster sat was bad enough it was completely through the finish and into the fibers of the leather. Where it slid off wasn't nearly as bad. I used leather conditioner and let it dry and then used a darker brown shoe polish and then another treatment of leather conditioner. There was no way to keep it it's original finish and lessen the scratch that I could figure out. It's quite a bit darker now but I'm sure it will lighten up some as the leather conditioner dries. If you know where to look you can still see the indentation, but anyone that close probably isn't doing a belt inspection anyway.

So, I won't have to clinch to key up the radio, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Top Bottom