• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    It's sad because LGS's are among the last of a dying breed of relationship based businesses. The butcher shop is a super kroger, the hardwares store is a big box lowes, the corner drug store is a walgreens. THe local department store is amazon.com. All of these are based on pricing power not relationships with neighbors and friends. Like it or not they'll all soon be gone...

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Let me go out on a limb here. Most of these shops are in it for the moola, and the right wing philosophy, super patriotism and second amendment folderol is really self serving "don't interfere with my ability to make as much money as I can." This is not limited to gun shops. You just expect gun shop owners to be more Thomas Jefferson than P.T. Barnum.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    So people will wait until then to accuse you of "gouging". :rolleyes:

No, people will understand then. When one day a Windham is around 850.00 and pmags are 15.00 and news stories hit and the same rifle and mags in the store are now much much higher there's a difference. Gun stores have every right to price their merchandise as they see fit though.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Never panic buy. It is as simple as that. I never did buy in to this LGS BS. They will stick it to you as fast as anyone else. It is a business and will charge what the market will bear. There is no loyalty in business it is a sales ploy. Like your friendly auto salesman patting you on the back while he is really reaching for your wallet.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Seriously, do you think his costs are going to be the same on that stuff? Do you even think he will be able to get them anymore? Do you think he is probably fearing for his livlihood right now? Yes is the answer to all. This is no bargain for the dealers either in the long run. In teh short run they will make big bucks to try to get them through the lean times. Wipe your nose and relax!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It really is just the free market. As long a people are lining up to buy the products the price will stay high. The natural antidote for so-called "gouging" is simply to walk away.

Every shop I have visited for the last few day is packed with newbies willing to pay whatever the asking price is for ANY black rifle. Take a pill or something, it's just the free market.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Neither Orion Arms or Falls City Firearms here in Southern Indiana are inflating prices. Orion was busy as Hell yesterday, but 40 round AK mags were still the same price as they were last month, and the month before the election; etc.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I've been to Beech Grove Firearms twice in last two days and prices are the same as they have been for weeks on AR's and ammo. He said he adds 10-15% to price of firearms.
    He sold approximately 30 AR's yesterday and held pricing. When next shipment comes in from wholesaler he may raise prices but only if he had to pay more.
    They seem like a good group of folks there

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Update - I just got off the phone with a buddy who was at the subject LGS. He asked me if I would take $4000 for my SCAR17s because the LGS owner had just turned down an offer for that on the same rifle (just in FDE). I know for fact that last Thursday, the price on that very rifle was $2649 because he tried to sell it to me just like every other time I walk in the shop. He also reported to me that PMAGs were going for $35 each.

On the other hand, I was in Walmart this morning and spoke with the sporting goods department manager; they had sold out of the 30 ARs they had in stock over the past 3 days. They did not raise their prices. Right now, the Walmart that I typically loathe, is looking pretty good compared to this LGS.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Neither Orion Arms or Falls City Firearms here in Southern Indiana are inflating prices. Orion was busy as Hell yesterday, but 40 round AK mags were still the same price as they were last month, and the month before the election; etc.

Our prices have and always will reflect our cost, period!!! Yes prices will go up in the nexts days and weeks as our prices go up, it happens, but they will also come back down when ours costs come back down., Panic buy creates panic price, sad but true. In the end though your customer will remember the facts and that loyality is what keeps the doors open, not the extra 30% you got somebody on. simple as that

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Our prices have and always will reflect our cost, period!!! Yes prices will go up in the nexts days and weeks as our prices go up, it happens, but they will also come back down when ours costs come back down., Panic buy creates panic price, sad but true. In the end though your customer will remember the facts and that loyality is what keeps the doors open, not the extra 30% you got somebody on. simple as that

This is good to hear, a stand up LGS that works at giving a fair price for both the buyer and the seller. I need to visit you next time I visit my family in Louisville. Do you carry reloading components?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    No, they won't. BTDT.

Well thus far they have. We have to raise prices from time to time like any other merchant. The good thing is my SURVIVAL is not predicated on gun sales. We are diversified. I do have to make a profit to appease ATF, my stockholders and to make it worth my while.

I believe in capitalism. Everybody has their own business plan and I can't knock a guy for raising his prices and trying to survive in this economy. It's all about supply and demand. If we were talking food, water, any type of survival item in a disaster, I'd agree it was gouging. But panic buying regardless of the cause for a consumer good most would consider optional is another matter.

Here's what I think about. It's kind of sappy, but it makes me thank God for what I have: Imagine a guy that has everything he has invested in a gun shop. His livelihood, hopes, dreams, blood, sweat, tears, college fund for the kids, etc. are all wrapped up in his shop. All of a sudden there is a run on product and the most serious talk of a government ban on the products he sells that he has heard in decades. His wholesaler has already told him there is nothing left. What he has on his shelves is all there is, with no more product in sight. He has to survive on what he has in stock and make that money last for God knows how long. (And folks, believe me, that's where we are right now!) He's going to get whatever people will pay. He has to. He can't worry about the bad things people on INGO are going to say about him. He's got to work his plan.

Is there pure greed out there? Sure. But I tire of hearing claims that every price increase is greed. If the market supports it and people pay it, who am I to say?

Even if somebody did accuse me of gouging at some point, I think most of you know me well enough by now to picture how "colorful" my response would be. :D

Top Bottom